Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

2018na wrote: »
    Loads of rabbits here in our field. Love having them there think they are a beautiful creature. Newish triplet baby’s quite close to the house. Mad how some areas have loads of them and then other places have none

We had lovely rabbits here last year, they were increasing over the last few years, often went out last year and 40 or 50 running around the field, loads of young ones as well and then, over a week or fortnight they all died.
    We're lucky to see 3 or 4 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

No rabbits in our town land for some reason. Never saw them. A neighbour who has greyhounds has rabbits running outside the fence. Close to danger.

We have plenty of hares.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

blue5000 wrote: »

That's the reason why you are not allowed spread the contents of domestic septic tanks on farm land. (medicines, metals from shampoo)

As I was typing the word shampoo, I wondered if there were two oo's at the end, and thought about the name Sham Poo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

If that picture with the flowers is part of the land, then the Dept is doing good for nature, them flowers look tasty to bee's and insects, tho may only be a stock photo.

Other hand is some of this land is probably used by neighbouring farmers, by letting their animals roaming it freely.
    Probably be a few cases of squatters rights on it at this stage so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jb1989 wrote: »

Hopefully, that article isn't much more than just a dig at those farming that type of land. Best off out of the Dept's control if they're that clueless about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

ive actually been reading up on the land commission lately as there were a few large estates in the locality that were taken over and split by the land commision. the release of the files would be a good thing for anyone interested in the history of it.

• Advertisement

If that picture with the flowers is part of the land, then the Dept is doing good for nature, them flowers look tasty to bee's and insects, tho may only be a stock photo.

Other hand is some of this land is probably used by neighbouring farmers, by letting their animals roaming it freely.

Plenty of our friends with the horses using it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

wrangler wrote: »

I see where the new road bypassed close to us there are chunks of land that are now fenced that i presume the road authority owns. It would be great if someone used them. Even community groups for allotments or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Has many of them ever claimed ground or houses in that fashion? Or is all the settled people that have claimed ownership?

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    I see where the new road bypassed close to us there are chunks of land that are now fenced that i presume the road authority owns. It would be great if someone used them. Even community groups for allotments or something

People on here claim it should be left to wildlife, there's abut .5 ha of what used to be my land beside me it's derelict now, I pressed for 1.5ha to be given back on another division and , fair dues , they saw sense and gave it back. i
    It disappoints me especially when you see people dumping on it but that's not the councils fault, they could've given it back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Has many of them ever claimed ground or houses in that fashion? Or is all the settled people that have claimed ownership?

They're never into ownership that much!!

Here the fella who won the Kentucky Derby is claiming the horse failed a drug test for steroids because the groom took cough medicine and peed on the horse's hay.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/10/bob-baffert-medina-spirit-kentucky-derby-horse-racing-cancel-culture-disqualification

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Water John wrote: »
    They're never into ownership that much!!

Here the fella who won the Kentucky Derby is claiming the horse failed a drug test for steroids because the groom took cough medicine and peed on the horse's hay.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/10/bob-baffert-medina-spirit-kentucky-derby-horse-racing-cancel-culture-disqualification

He should be sacked for peeing on a horses feed anyway.

Have to say I enjoyed this. If you have a spare half hour. The accent hasn't changed a whole lot anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uu5QopKx7Y

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was dropping a form into teagasc earlier. It's really busy today with the bps deadline looming

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was dropping a form into teagasc earlier. It's really busy today with the bps deadline looming

No time like the last minute to do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was out for a run there and passed a field that was baled in the last couple of weeks. Round bales of hay scattered across it. Don't know when it was baled but the grass is regrowing around the bales now. Perhaps my memory is going but I don't remember hay weather in the last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

Was out for a run there and passed a field that was baled in the last couple of weeks. Round bales of hay scattered across it. Don't know when it was baled but the grass is regrowing around the bales now. Perhaps my memory is going but I don't remember hay weather in the last few weeks

I drive regularly past a field that has last years bales scattered around it where they landed out of the wrapper. And it’s like that most years. Inherited land.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Apologies in advance but can anyone enlighten me on the subject of health insurance. I've never bothered with a policy before but I think it would be wise to have some sort of cover going forward. I've no major health issue's and don't require anything extra special as regards cover ect. A quick Google is throwing up plans for circa €500 a year but tbh I don't understand the difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Apologies in advance but can anyone enlighten me on the subject of health insurance. I've never bothered with a policy before but I think it would be wise to have some sort of cover going forward. I've no major health issue's and don't require anything extra special as regards cover ect. A quick Google is throwing up plans for circa €500 a year but tbh I don't understand the difference between them.

Try this comparison site:

https://www.hia.ie/health-insurance-comparison

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Not sure where to post this question. I disc harrowed and sowed some seed oats a week ago but weather broke before i got grass seed in. The oat seed had not sprouted yet but i was was wondering if i could spray the field with round up at this stage. I didnt get a chance to do it before contractor harrowed the field. I expected the disc harrow to really cut up the sod but it hasnt really done this and there is allot of green visible.

Just thinking of spraying it now to kill all the old grass but i am not sure if it will kill the oat seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

It can be worth having. I’ve a workmale who needs a knee replaced. Out of work four years because of it. If he had private he would have had it replaced before it became such a problem to stop him working.

I just have the cheap “operate on you with a rusty spoon” package as I do t see the point paying for a private is semi-private (whatever that is) room when they are never available anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this question. I disc harrowed and sowed some seed oats a week ago but weather broke before i got grass seed in. The oat seed had not sprouted yet but i was was wondering if i could spray the field with round up at this stage. I didnt get a chance to do it before contractor harrowed the field. I expected the disc harrow to really cut up the sod but it hasnt really done this and there is allot of green visible.

Just thinking of spraying it now to kill all the old grass but i am not sure if it will kill the oat seed.

We always have it.
    When your well it can seem allot.

But when your sick it can mean getting seen to quicker and sometimes that means everything.

We had one year where they paid out ~£30k in bills, yes back in £ days not €

You're only going to waste the grass seed if it's green already, if it was mine I'd give up on the oats, wait for all the weeds to germinate , spray it off and start again

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

You're only going to waste the grass seed if it's green already, if it was mine I'd give up on the oats, wait for all the weeds to germinate , spray it off and start again

I haven't put the grass seed in yet. Its the old grass I am referring to. I want kill that and because the oats haven't germinated yet I was wondering about burning off the grass but not sure what effect it will have on the oat seed

I haven't put the grass seed in yet. Its the old grass I am referring to. I want kill that and because the oats haven't germinated yet I was wondering about burning off the grass but not sure what effect it will have on the oat seed

I'd be surprised that it hasn't germinated, Barley is coming up in about a week around here.
    What I meant was, will the old grass smother the oats if you don't spray it off, oats wouldn't have a hope of competing and is gone anyway.
    I think you've no choice but to spray it.

Someone else might have a different idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Banks, what is the result you want to achieve? Do you want grain oats to sell or feed or are you just having a combi crop of silage with grass afterwards?
    As Wrangler says the oats are germinating at this point.
    Oats are an aggressive crop, would be loath to go back to the beginning.

Advertisement