Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I haven't put the grass seed in yet. Its the old grass I am referring to. I want kill that and because the oats haven't germinated yet I was wondering about burning off the grass but not sure what effect it will have on the oat seed

Give it another few days anyway and see what the oats do. Be a shame and a huge waste to go spray now just to sow grass before you know that the oats have failed

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Water John wrote: »
    Banks, what is the result you want to achieve? Do you want grain oats to sell or feed or are you just having a combi crop of silage with grass afterwards?
    As Wrangler says the oats are germinating at this point.
    Oats are an aggressive crop, would be loath to go back to the beginning.

Sorry lads. I was very vague with the details. So the plan was to undersow sees oats with grass seed and cut it in July. I have been doing this for a good few years now but normally I plough first. This time, because it is stoney ground I decided to disc harrow it. Sheep had it ate to the but so I thought discing would do by itself.

Between unsettled weather and waiting on contractor I did not get to spray ground off. He came last Friday and ran over with discs a few times and I spread 10kg per acre of seed oat with intention to sow the grass the following day but I didn't get it done and still haven't got the grass seed in.

This morning I was looking at it and it's very green, the old grass is starting to grown but I can't see the oats coming in the dug up bits.

So I want to spray the old grass off to give the new seeds a chance but i was wondering would the round up have any impact on the oats seed which have not germinated yet. Sowed 6 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Apologies in advance but can anyone enlighten me on the subject of health insurance. I've never bothered with a policy before but I think it would be wise to have some sort of cover going forward. I've no major health issue's and don't require anything extra special as regards cover ect. A quick Google is throwing up plans for circa €500 a year but tbh I don't understand the difference between them.

Unless you're nerdy for detail and you've a lot of time on your hands, look up a broker. There's hundreds of policies out there between the three providers from a few hundred to a few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I got my second Pfizer yesterday, no reaction yet, but I was urprised at teh number of youngerpeople getting it, 40 - 50. My GP must be well supplied

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

wrangler wrote: »
    I got my second Pfizer yesterday, no reaction yet, but I was urprised at teh number of youngerpeople getting it, 40 - 50. My GP must be well supplied

Father got his yesterday aswell and not a bother.
    How is herself since her reaction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was the next day my dad felt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Bullocks wrote: »
    Father got his yesterday aswell and not a bother.
    How is herself since her reaction?

She's in great form now, she was fluey alright for a few days, we gave her a few Lectades, (dioralytes) fine now though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

She's in great form now, she was fluey alright for a few days, we gave her a few Lectades, (dioralytes) fine now though

A Lectade and a Sinulox tab will cure most ills... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Where would I be able to find the seed costs for wheat/barley/etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Banks, are you saying you used 10kg oats per acre?
    Went into a field of oats today to pick stones. Had to turn around and come out again, too wet, wheels doing too much damage to the crop.
    Rooster, would suggest any stockist of Goldcrop seeds should be able to tell you.

• Advertisement

How many farmers get blamed for the work of lads like this?

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2021/0513/1221428-court-fire-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

How many farmers get blamed for the work of lads like this?

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2021/0513/1221428-court-fire-kerry/

I await a statement now from Ella McSweeney re recent tweets about the killarney fire.
    And hers was the mildest of tweets on it.

I await a statement now from Ella McSweeney re recent tweets about the killarney fire.

I was told that she blamed farmers for it and there was a tweet, but I couldn't find the tweet?

I am of the belief that there are folks out there who aren't farmers, but have an agenda of their own for farmers lands, who could also be lighting fires. It's always seemed way too convenient to me that it HAS to be CAP beneficiaries. What better way to clear farmers than make their land ineligible by fire.

I was told that she blamed farmers for it and there was a tweet, but I couldn't find the tweet?

I am of the belief that there are folks out there who aren't farmers, but have an agenda of their own for farmers lands, who could also be lighting fires. It's always seemed way too convenient to me that it HAS to be CAP beneficiaries. What better way to clear farmers than make their land ineligible by fire.

There's a committee here for my local mountain range the Blackstairs.
    It was started up roughly three years ago maybe more.
    Wildlife ranger and all employed by EU money.
    Farmers had an open day every year in rathanna showing the public what they were doing. Sheep shearing, show and judging of sheep, pipe band and parades through the village, sheep dog trials.
    There was never a fire on the mountain in this time. There was a fire on mount Leinster alright last year but it's very simple for an arsonist member of public to just throw an oily rag on fire out a car window up there and drive off.
    Absolutely none on the Blackstairs where it's harder reached.
    This year for some reason the Blackstairs both wexford and carlow side were burnt.
    Never before the Blackstairs EU farming group were brought in was it as bad as that.

And sure you know what happened after on social media. Every commentator that proclaims themselves green wanted to string any farmer of the Blackstairs up on the nearest lamppost..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭orm0nd

got a lovely memorial card yesterday from the family of a neighbour that passed away last year, picture was taken a few years ago of him walking through his cattle with our replacement heifers and ewes on the hill outside the ditch,

was talking to his son later and he said it was the 1 pic they had that represented his life, dairying and sheep in his younger days and drystock in the latter years.

There's a committee here for my local mountain range the Blackstairs.
    It was started up roughly three years ago maybe more.
    Wildlife ranger and all employed by EU money.
    Farmers had an open day every year in rathanna showing the public what they were doing. Sheep shearing, show and judging of sheep, pipe band and parades through the village, sheep dog trials.
    There was never a fire on the mountain in this time. There was a fire on mount Leinster alright last year but it's very simple for an arsonist member of public to just throw an oily rag on fire out a car window up there and drive off.
    Absolutely none on the Blackstairs where it's harder reached.
    This year for some reason the Blackstairs both wexford and carlow side were burnt.
    Never before the Blackstairs EU farming group were brought in was it as bad as that.

And sure you know what happened after on social media. Every commentator that proclaims themselves green wanted to string any farmer of the Blackstairs up on the nearest lamppost..

This is the problem, the presumption of guilt "just because". It isn't just the greens either, FG & FF ministers of Ag have been complicit, allowing their departments remove incomes from innocent farm families.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I see the ploughing is cancelled. Hardky surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This is the problem, the presumption of guilt "just because". It isn't just the greens either, FG & FF ministers of Ag have been complicit, allowing their departments remove incomes from innocent farm families.

FG and FG have had a deliberate policy of neglect towards rural Ireland for decades now.

The will wasn't there because Most of rural Ireland was happy to go along with them, drive the children to the airport and let the 2 parties fight out for votes in Dublin and it's greater suburbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

For anyone who actually seen the fire sites in killarney! It was blown out of proportion altogether. You'd swear the ancient woodlands were effected by the coverage of it. Most of the area is 60% Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Odelay

Danzy wrote: »
    FG and FG have had a deliberate policy of neglect towards rural Ireland for decades now.

The will wasn't there because Most of rural Ireland was happy to go along with them, drive the children to the airport and let the 2 parties fight out for votes in Dublin and it's greater suburbia.

There are 45 seats in the Dublin area. 28% of the Dial won’t do much for either party, assuming one of them had a 100% success rate in an election. They can’t afford to deliberately neglect rural Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »

Are you gutted?

Reggie. wrote: »

I'd say the ploughing itself will go ahead but the 300k attending and trade stands won't.

I'd say the ploughing itself will go ahead but the 300k attending and trade stands won't.

Thoughts & prayers for the hordes of school kids & the plastic stick sellers.

Thoughts & prayers for the hordes of school kids & the plastic stick sellers.

Ha I was just thinking there a few days ago about my school tours in primary school. Secondary school ones were rubbish!
    But the primary school ones would stay with you for your lifetime.

And now the poor beggers nowadays are missing all that.. :rolleyes:

What...there's ploughing at the ploughing

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are you gutted?

Currently half way through my second tub of rocky Road ice cream here after hearing the news

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Clear test today thank God. I always get worried about tb tests and never sleep properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

That's good Base, yes TB testing is a pain in the ass, especially when you buy in cattle, you can't plan anything right if you are locked up, getting permits to buy cattle & then you can only sell in the factory just makes it all more difficult. It's a great relief when they pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Danzy wrote: »

Aww it's alright, Sinn Fein will get in the next time and sort the whole thing out, or.......

• Advertisement

GoneHome wrote: »
    Aww it's alright, Sinn Fein will get in the next time and sort the whole thing out, or.......

They wont but what are the options when the smug ****ers in power today won't listen to the people who feel they're left behind?

Advertisement