Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

GoneHome wrote: »
    Aww it's alright, Sinn Fein will get in the next time and sort the whole thing out, or.......

To a large degree the chance is gone.

They knew what was needed, great plans were made but there was no electoral benefit to either party, add in that many became very wealthy.

It's a bizarre mentality that people would prefer investment in Dublin than rural Ireland getting a scrap. It's better now than it was but the damage is long done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone ever kept a heifer with 2 copies of the F94L gene for a cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it a Lim heifer, most Lim bulls have two copies of that gene, does that not mean that most Lim females do also?

tanko wrote: »
    Is it a Lim heifer, most Lim bulls have two copies of that gene, does that not mean that most Lim females do also?

No she’s Charolais and myostatin tested

I've two 12v batteries, think they're leisure batteries. Anyway, over the winter they weren't stored the best and lost charge. I got one back up and working by hooking it up to the van while running for a while. The other is being more difficult and comes up to just under 6v. I'll try it on the van again but I think I remember seeing something about hooking up two or more batteries either in series or parallel to bring them back up to the correct charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've two 12v batteries, think they're leisure batteries. Anyway, over the winter they weren't stored the best and lost charge. I got one back up and working by hooking it up to the van while running for a while. The other is being more difficult and comes up to just under 6v. I'll try it on the van again but I think I remember seeing something about hooking up two or more batteries either in series or parallel to bring them back up to the correct charge?

Ya, hook up the bad battery to a fully charged one in parrellel (+ to + and - to - ). Add charger then and leave overnight. Charge each then as normal to full charge.
    That will trick these new type chargers into charging it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Is it your own heifer and how did you go about testing it?
    As said above, most Lims are double F94L.
    The Q gen tends to be in the char breed and the 'nt' one in the belgian blues.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With all the push from some interests for the numbers of ruminant animals to be slashed, farmers might take comfort from John Kerry, US envoy on climate change;
    'He said Americans would “not necessarily” have to eat less meat, because of research being done into the way cattle are herded and fed in order to reduce methane emissions.'
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/16/half-of-emissions-cuts-will-come-from-future-tech-says-john-kerry

Here is an important voice, listening to science.

Is it your own heifer and how did you go about testing it?
    As said above, most Lims are double F94L.
    The Q gen tends to be in the char breed and the 'nt' one in the belgian blues.

Yes she’s ours
    Testing was by Weatherbys
    She’s a nice heifer off a good cow

Yes she’s ours
    Testing was by Weatherbys
    She’s a nice heifer off a good cow

Do you have to send a sample to weatherbys independent from ICBF or are ICBF involved? .... and how much?

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    With all the push from some interests for the numbers of ruminant animals to be slashed, farmers might take comfort from John Kerry, US envoy on climate change;
    'He said Americans would “not necessarily” have to eat less meat, because of research being done into the way cattle are herded and fed in order to reduce methane emissions.'
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/16/half-of-emissions-cuts-will-come-from-future-tech-says-john-kerry

Oh dear, the "Animal farmed" propaganda series in the same rag will have to kick into overdrive after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »

"Herded and fed".

He's either on about mob grazing and species rich grazing or feedlots and grain fed.

Only speaking from my own dairy farm point of view and a possible model for the country.
    It'd be dairy cows given biochar infused with sauerkraut for the methane.
    Then for any additional protein and extra feeding needed to end feed imports it'd be azolla grown on farm with the yard washings. Washed and fed or washed, dried, pelleted and fed.
    You're left with high(er) nitrate water then that the azolla was grown on for your fert for pasture.

If you're inclined and the demand is there sell the azolla on to foodies as high protein salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well lads, trying to get my head around how the different pto shafts transmit different rpms.

Is it just that the shaft end going onto the implement is smaller than the one on the pto?

Do you have to send a sample to weatherbys independent from ICBF or are ICBF involved? .... and how much?

You need to get ICBF to do a genomic test (which is actually done by weatherbys), I think that is €22
    Weatherbys is an extra €8 for the myostatin test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Well lads, trying to get my head around how the different pto shafts transmit different rpms.

Is it just that the shaft end going onto the implement is smaller than the one on the pto?

First ive heard of that set up and youve gotten my curiosity, is it not the 540 and 540E settings on the gearbox of the PTO shaft youre talking about?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

First ive heard of that set up and youve gotten my curiosity, is it not the 540 and 540E settings on the gearbox of the PTO shaft youre talking about?

He's on about the splines of the pto stub that you can change on the tractor or that is static on the implement I presume.
    After that I'm curious myself to the explanation of splines versus pto revs.

I don't think so.

Basically I was chatting to a lad with an implement on the back and he said it was a 1000 shaft which is better than a 500 shaft as the tractor was just ticking over and it was giving the same output.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

That's a setting on the tractor. He can change the PTO speed. Probably 540/540E/1000.
    Probably means he has an implement on the back that is rated at 540 RPM. To get that, his tractor needs to be revved near max. So he could put his tractor in the 1000 speed and the engine doesn't need to be revved as high.

Danger there though. That's OK on some things but anything drawing a good chunk of power or without a stable load (balers for example) will eventually make ****e of the tractors back end

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That's a setting on the tractor. He can change the PTO speed. Probably 540/540E/1000.
    Probably means he has an implement on the back that is rated at 540 RPM. To get that, his tractor needs to be revved near max. So he could put his tractor in the 1000 speed and the engine doesn't need to be revved as high.

Danger there though. That's OK on some things but anything drawing a good chunk of power or without a stable load (balers for example) will eventually make ****e of the tractors back end
    Plus the fact that most implements are only designed to run at 540. I think the only time we use 1000 is for the power washer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Gillespy

A lot of mowers, power harrows are 1000. Had an old Menegle harvester that was 1000. Taarup mowers of old you flip the front gearbox around for either speed. Latest Fusion balers are 1000rpm. I put a propeller agitator into 1000 to get a tank moving. Makes fast work of it.

• Advertisement

The power from a PTO on a tractor is basically the revs multiplied by the torque or twisting force. The revs is set from the tractor end of things, the engine revs and the PTO gearbox gear setting. The torque is actually set from the implement side of things. it's the resistance generated to turning.
    Generally speaking, if the torque is high (high load), the revs should be low and vice versa. The 540E setting takes this into account. It allows the 540 RPM on the PTO shaft to be achieved at lower engine revs and so saves fuel.

After that you should match the tractor horse power to the implement power requirements. No point having a 150 HP tractor spreading fertiliser when a 75 HP one will do. It will use a lot less diesel to do the same work.

Base price wrote: »
    Plus the fact that most implements are only designed to run at 540. I think the only time we use 1000 is for the power washer.

So it's a tractor setting, nothing to do with the type of shaft it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The power from a PTO on a tractor is basically the revs multiplied by the torque or twisting force. The revs is set from the tractor end of things, the engine revs and the PTO gearbox gear setting. The torque is actually set from the implement side of things. it's the resistance generated to turning.
    Generally speaking, if the torque is high (high load), the revs should be low and vice versa. The 540E setting takes this into account. It allows the 540 RPM on the PTO shaft to be achieved at lower engine revs and so saves fuel.

After that you should match the tractor horse power to the implement power requirements. No point having a 150 HP tractor spreading fertiliser when a 75 HP one will do. It will use a lot less diesel to do the same work.

The 540 E is best for spreading fertiliser, It's difficult for a tractor to hold a steady speed if your using the 1000 speed and only running the the tractor engine at 1100 RPM. It might be different with 150hp but 100hp just doesn't hack it at 1100 RPM . Its under pressure turning on headlands and going up hills

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Not sure how common it is but afaik some John Deere’s have a reversible shaft, which can be be removed and replaced the opposite way around and switch from 540 to 1000. I’d always thought it was a thing in older bigger tractors (big American tillage yokes I’d always thought) but I don’t know how right I am in that.

http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/salesmanual/en_NA/tractors/2009/feature/hitch_drawbar_and_pto/6d/6d_pto.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Pussyhands wrote: »
    So it's a tractor setting, nothing to do with the type of shaft it is?
    In more modern tractors it's whichever option you choose to select within the cab be it a lever or a button. There is one pto shaft coming out the back of the tractor and by selecting 540 or 1000 determines the speed the shaft turn at certain revs. Some older tractors had two shafts at the back of the tractor, one was 540 and the other 1000. They had a screw on cover that was covered the one that you were not using which in most cases was the 1000. Also the splines on the two were different, the 540 are coarse and the 1000 are fine. When the pto was engaged both shafts rotated at their respective speeds therefore the need for a cover on the one that wasn't been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I think the American Deeres have a big and small 1000 shaft too. It's done in a lot of ways by the different manufacturers. Masseys have two different shafts held on by a circlip. Outside of having it selectable in the cab the old International is the handiest with both running along side eachother.

Here's a strange one for you. When a PTO shaft is not straight when used, the central shaft speeds up and slows down as the whole shaft rotates at a constant RPM. The input and output may be at a constant speed, but there is constant acceleration and deceleration of the central portion.
    I never turn a corner here with the pto shaft on, always in a straight line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Not sure how common it is but afaik some John Deere’s have a reversible shaft, which can be be removed and replaced the opposite way around and switch from 540 to 1000. I’d always thought it was a thing in older bigger tractors (big American tillage yokes I’d always thought) but I don’t know how right I am in that.

http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/salesmanual/en_NA/tractors/2009/feature/hitch_drawbar_and_pto/6d/6d_pto.html

similar with the old Crystal, There was two short shafts, one was shoved in the side of the gearbox, the coarse splined shaft shoved in the side of the gearbox was able too push a lever to change gear to 1000 RPM that the fine splined shaft didn't.
    Of course we used to modify the fine splined shaft to push that lever too so that we had 1000 RPM with the coarse splined shaft at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Here's a strange one for you. When a PTO shaft is not straight when used, the central shaft speeds up and slows down as the whole shaft rotates at a constant RPM. The input and output may be at a constant speed, but there is constant acceleration and deceleration of the central portion.
    I never turn a corner here with the pto shaft on, always in a straight line.

Your wide angle pto surely helps with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can the Co-Op Superstores be contacted from NI.

Can't get 1890 22 11 33 to work from here.

Edit - was trying 00353 1890 22 11 33

Advertisement