Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Used to new app to register calves there. You know when it asks you for the generic dam details, is that only If the calf was born from an embryo transplant or something?

That's exactly it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Reggie. wrote: »
    Noticed a C17 Globemaster fly over the house this morning around 0830am. Chances are it was an RAF aircraft. Wonder are the bits invading. She was fairly low

We were out for a walk and it flew over at about 3000 feet just after taking off. I didn't spot until my wife (Who can hear things, which I can't) who was watching it coming asked what it was. I had no specs with me and eventually found Flightradar on the phone and got it as looped around to the east and disappeared to the north.

I was pissed I didn't have binoculars and hadn't spotted it earlier. Very quiet plane for it's size and number of engines!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Rosahane wrote: »
    We were out for a walk and it flew over at about 3000 feet just after taking off. I didn't spot until my wife (Who can hear things, which I can't) who was watching it coming asked what it was. I had no specs with me and eventually found Flightradar on the phone and got it as looped around to the east and disappeared to the north.

I was pissed I didn't have binoculars and hadn't spotted it earlier. Very quiet plane for it's size and number of engines!

All wives have that super ability.

Water John wrote: »
    All wives have that super ability.

It's rumoured they can even hear things that were never uttered

Watching something about these guys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comit%C3%A9_R%C3%A9gional_d%27Action_Viticole on Netflix, fascinating stuff, wine terrorism.

- An episode of the series "Rotten". Terrorism was the description at the start. I think on watching the programme it's harsh, easy to identify with those people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm watching million dollar weddings in Hong Kong and Singapore.

Definitely not something I'd usually watch but it is on 2 now and it's very interesting seeing how the upper echelons aspire to become English speaking Europeans and the asian mother ensuring that their daughter's wedding is how the mother wants it.
    Money mostly coming from manufacturing. Toys to ceramics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I'm watching million dollar weddings in Hong Kong and Singapore.

Definitely not something I'd usually watch but it is on 2 now and it's very interesting seeing how the upper echelons aspire to become English speaking Europeans and the asian mother ensuring that their daughter's wedding is how the mother wants it.
    Money mostly coming from manufacturing. Toys to ceramics.
    "Apeing" my grandmother used to call it, to use a phrase
    "I'm scarleh for'em", or maybe "chuir síoda ar gabhar..." is more appropriate.

"Apeing" my grandmother used to call it, to use a phrase
    "I'm scarleh for'em", or maybe "chuir síoda ar gabhar..." is more appropriate.

The mothers and fathers on both sides have to invite all their business acquaintances. If any are left out it could be the end of business.
    Then tradition has the more invited and attending the luckier the marriage. So could be upwards of 600 invited in a room in a hotel or an outdoor event.
    Dates back to when the people came from villages and the whole village was invited.
    But with changing times now and young people having more of a say they're opting for two weddings.
    One posh do for their friends and family and another with the near thousand back in their homeland.
    It's all really the same as here. The bigger and more invited. The more show you put on to impress all invited.

Have a relation who got married in a hospital not by choice but by circumstances. Everyone involved came away with a different perspective on the whole show and ceromony marriage that's usually performed in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I see I now have a celebrity sheep dog!! I was approached by a film location manager and asked would I provide a dog and some sheep for them to film an advert.
    I agreed and a week later about sixteen people turned up with a minibus full of space hoppers and spent about two hours to film this on the farm. I better buy him some decent dog food out of the fee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l76WKVzkTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97WSKcpM9Iw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Odelay

I see I now have a celebrity sheep dog!! I was approached by a film location manager and asked would I provide a dog and some sheep for them to film an advert.
    I agreed and a week later about sixteen people turned up with a minibus full of space hoppers and spent about two hours to film this on the farm. I better buy him some decent dog food out of the fee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l76WKVzkTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97WSKcpM9Iw

Sixteen of them for two hours for 1.5 seconds of video?? I wouldn’t have the patience for that.

But fair play to you for letting them do it. Something interesting and out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Suckler

I see dogs are now banned from Glenmalure access to Lugnaquilla. On a lead or not, landowner lost sheep recently and has had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

The mothers and fathers on both sides have to invite all their business acquaintances. If any are left out it could be the end of business.
    Then tradition has the more invited and attending the luckier the marriage. So could be upwards of 600 invited in a room in a hotel or an outdoor event.
    Dates back to when the people came from villages and the whole village was invited.
    But with changing times now and young people having more of a say they're opting for two weddings.
    One posh do for their friends and family and another with the near thousand back in their homeland.
    It's all really the same as here. The bigger and more invited. The more show you put on to impress all invited.

Have a relation who got married in a hospital not by choice but by circumstances. Everyone involved came away with a different perspective on the whole show and ceromony marriage that's usually performed in this country.

Fella im working with (true blue dub) spent €50k on a wedding and said "sure yed need to ye dont realise whats involved lads" it was met by awful confused looka by all of us thick f#ckers from the sticks as he refers to us.

Better living everyone

Fella im working with (true blue dub) spent €50k on a wedding and said "sure yed need to ye dont realise whats involved lads" it was met by awful confused looka by all of us thick f#ckers from the sticks as he refers to us.

Notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

50k is excessive, but at the same time - you’d be surprised how expensive weddings are...
    Or at least I was when I got married :)

50k is excessive, but at the same time - you’d be surprised how expensive weddings are...
    Or at least I was when I got married :)

Same fella is whinging about how he cant buy a house now too. Oh i can only imagine twill be a real eye opener for me if i ever find myself in that situation too.

Better living everyone

All you need is a couple, pair of witnesses and a celebrant.

Job done. Married.

Job done. Married.

For sure. And as you described the situation close to yourself it further reinforces it.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Job done. Married.

Oh, for sure... And some people do, and more power to them...

But I would say the average wedding, well before Covid anyways, was more than 5 people.

And, well, weddings are generally speaking, expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Oh, for sure... And some people do, and more power to them...

But I would say the average wedding, well before Covid anyways, was more than 5 people.

And, well, weddings are generally speaking, expensive...

Most people will give at least the cost of the meal in their pressie...... at least we do that anyway, it should make it cost neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Suckler wrote: »
    I see dogs are now banned from Glenmalure access to Lugnaquilla. On a lead or not, landowner lost sheep recently and has had enough.

Is that the guy that runs the church mount sheepdogs channel on YouTube? He has a few videos up gathering sheep there. Really knowledgeable fella talking about sheepdogs. Got a new pup here last week, cost enough but really well bred. Can't wait until he's old enough to get him started on the sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Went to post this in Safety and it seems to be gone.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40292456.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Suckler

Is that the guy that runs the church mount sheepdogs channel on YouTube? He has a few videos up gathering sheep there. Really knowledgeable fella talking about sheepdogs.

I honestly don't know the man, it was on a hiking page I saw the update. To be fair, I thought it would cause more bellyaching but vast majority of people (i.e. hikers/non-farmers) were of the opinion that he was right and it was a natural consequence of the stupidity of the few affecting everyone else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Miserable weather here today. I hope everyone that mowed earlier this week has it covered/wrapped.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It should be up at the top of the home page, beside depression LG

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1642

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’re on really hilly drumlin land here and you see what your neighbors are at all the time.
    Fella taking over next farm to us constantly up and down steep hills on quad with two kids on it with him, obviously no protection., don’t know much about quads but driving down amd then turning across face of steep hills seems madness.

I've no association with this business.
    I have a kei truck that's all.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/131-nissan-nv100-clipper-4x4-truck/25711662

But how long is it going to take for people to cop on that a quad is a dangerous machine. You're out in the open, wind in your hair, you feel the adrenalin pumping and tip her on to full speed. And with the higher horsepower machines you've a heavier machine. One turn too tight or bump to one side too quick and you're over.

I suggest it's the drivers at fault, not the machine. Quads are an incredibly useful tool but have their limitations like anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Suckler wrote: »

Which route, up by the waterfall and Ziz Zags or the military road? Two different landowners I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

The meal/reception was about 1/3 of overall cost the time I got married in 2010. but in fairness after the bubble burst I know most costs dropped by 20-50%.

Church , singer, dresses, suits, cake, flowers, band, DJ, favours (charity donation) , hair and make up , photographer , and a few other bots like cars , additional hotel rooms maybe etc

wrangler wrote: »
    Most people will give at least the cost of the meal in their pressie...... at least we do that anyway, it should make it cost neutral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭DBK1

wrangler wrote: »
    I’d say most couples going to a wedding would be giving €150 to €200 in the card which would cover the meal and a bit of a surplus left to go towards all the other items the bride wasted money on!!

Advertisement