Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Grandfather used to say the famine went on til the 1920s...
    Now, I am not sure if this is 100% true, but what I would say is food was still scarce and the memories of the famine were still very much in everyone’s mind...
    There was no such thing as food waste either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

We bought a dear enough 2 years ago, it’s not memory foam but has a special top on it so you can’t flip it upside down. Anyhow, we both don’t like it. It’s too soft for me. The odd night I sleep in the child’s bed with him and have a way better sleep, and it’s only a cheap enough regular one, old too, but it’s lovely and firm.
    Don’t think I’d spend as much again and change more often if needed

You can never spend to much on your mattress or your boots.

The 2 things we spend most of our time in, and 2 things that can cause a lot of unnecessary pain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Spent the last 3 days trying to figure out how to blow a sheepdog whistle and I'm finally after figuring it out. Fair satisfying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Now, I am not sure if this is 100% true, but what I would say is food was still scarce and the memories of the famine were still very much in everyone’s mind...

Didn't they say in the rebellion and Michael Collins time. They brought up fresh ira men from the country to fight in Dublin as A they wouldn't be known and B they were better fed and fitter than the Dublin lads and consumption (TB) was rife in Dublin.

In the locality here whole households were wiped out with consumption up to the 40's possibly 50's. My father tells of one household that was wiped out bar one daughter in the house that seemingly she never had any effect or contracted it. Lived a long life after.

What’s the best type of mattress to get and how often do you change them?
    Have a memory foam mattress 5 1/2 years where I’m waking up with a sore back recently

It's not your left side too is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Spent the last 3 days trying to figure out how to blow a sheepdog whistle and I'm finally after figuring it out. Fair satisfying :D
    When I was a child we used to always love watching One Man and His Dog on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

My granny was born in ‘21 and she told me when she was young, they used to put a few small stones in the bottom of the pot of spuds when boiling them so the pot would look full, as they were ashamed of the neighbours saw how little they were cooking. Also a small duck used to feed 5 adults and 5 or 6 kids. Terrible thinking back. It’s gone from me scale to the other now with obesity and food waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

My granny was born in ‘21 and she told me when she was young, they used to put a few small stones in the bottom of the pot of spuds when boiling them so the pot would look full, as they were ashamed of the neighbours saw how little they were cooking. Also a small duck used to feed 5 adults and 5 or 6 kids. Terrible thinking back. It’s gone from me scale to the other now with obesity and food waste.

My great grandad used to insist you eat the meat last in case anyone would call and think they couldnt afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It's not your left side too is it?

No mid back between shoulders and waist

No mid back between shoulders and waist

Not too bad then.

Loose chest weight. :pac: ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks away from the longest day of the year. Don't know about ye, but I kinda feel like spring has hardly started yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Water John wrote: »
    Would putting marine ply or something under the mattress, firm it up?

Yes it would help in a poorly sprung base, but I did it once and the mattress went mouldy at the bottom and I'd to throw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

What’s the best type of mattress to get and how often do you change them?
    Have a memory foam mattress 5 1/2 years where I’m waking up with a sore back recently

Best mattresses that I know of are made by Harrisons in Yorkshire. Supreme comfort and firmness and they will last yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

People have also forgotten what the importance of turf once was

It wasn’t just heat for the house it was also a heat source for cooking

If turf wasn’t saved, you would have either frozen or starved to death

Anyone ever use liquid nitrogen on grass instead of CAN/Urea granules? Any idea of the price of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

People have also forgotten what the importance of turf once was

It wasn’t just heat for the house it was also a heat source for cooking

If turf wasn’t saved, you would have either frozen or starved to death

It was a cottage industry here in kildare. Lads used to rear turf in the summer and then spemd the winter transporting it to dublin via both the canal and road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

straight wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to get married in the first place anyway. Its just a legal document. At our wedding there was a very obvious difference between gifts from one side vs the other. Wife loved the whole thing, I guess its a girlie thing, fecking chair covers, bouquets, flowers. I could think of better places for the 30k.

If I ever get married I'll not be spending 30k on a wedding. You'd buy a nice car or tractor for that.

2 or 3 grand at most and you'd get some of that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Pussyhands wrote: »
    If I ever get married I'll not be spending 30k on a wedding. You'd buy a nice car or tractor for that.

If you "ever get married" you might find you have less say in the matter than you think... :D

Can't remember whether I said this before but I'm laying out paddocks on the farm. I've found Google Maps to be really handy in fields with sfa landmarks. I can measure an area, draw lines to represent the fences, then drop pins at intersections etc and stick down posts there. The handiest bit is turning on location on the phone and I can navigate right to the pin where the post needs to be put.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Can't remember whether I said this before but I'm laying out paddocks on the farm. I've found Google Maps to be really handy in fields with sfa landmarks. I can measure an area, draw lines to represent the fences, then drop pins at intersections etc and stick down posts there. The handiest bit is turning on location on the phone and I can navigate right to the pin where the post needs to be put.

Great idea
    Didn’t realize you could do that with google maps

• Advertisement

Great idea
    Didn’t realize you could do that with google maps

I laid out a few intersection posts this evening, it made the job really easy. Bit of a faff making a new map but it's worth it for what I had for doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve an app called field area measure that I use for the same job as well as being able to map fields we’re mowing.

There are still the odd few lads around that’ll think they can cod you until you tell them you can map it on the phone. The older lads then will cover their tracks by saying they meant old Irish acres!

It’s a free app and I find it a bit easier to use than google maps.

DBK1 wrote: »
    I’ve an app called field area measure that I use for the same job as well as being able to map fields we’re mowing.

There are still the odd few lads around that’ll think they can cod you until you tell them you can map it on the phone. The older lads then will cover their tracks by saying they meant old Irish acres!

I had it a good while ago, I can't recall why but it didn't work to the purpose required at the time. Possibly an imaging issue at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

DBK1 wrote: »

I use the same app. Great job. I use it on every field before I reseed it. Got caught once or twice before so I check every field now for acreage before I start

Do ye walk the field boundry first or just calculate on the headland run?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Do ye walk the field boundry first or just calculate on the headland run?

You can see the field as an overhead like a map. Its updated yearly. Just drop pins along the boundaries and it gives you the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Pussyhands wrote: »

With a name like yours , I reckon the ladies will be queuing up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭DBK1

Reggie. wrote: »
    You can see the field as an overhead like a map. Its updated yearly. Just drop pins along the boundaries and it gives you the area.
    Yea I find it very good. The maps around our area are from about the end of last summer so fairly recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Would anybody know where in Ireland that would post that I could get something like this?

https://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister-lrg-new-style/p/109316/
    https://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister-lrg-new-style/p/67670A/

(I'm a Dub with no farming contacts)

• Advertisement

They are on a lot of machines. Ring Malone/McHale/etc and see would they send you one

Advertisement