Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

So to met the neighbour with the calf that was sick from a few weeks ago.

The calf died. So he sold the cow for 3 suck calves (2 black wh heifers and 1 red white head heifer) and a bale of hay. (He paid €1400 for the incalf cow) He said The calves were drinking a bag of maverick for €40 a week and decided it was too expensive. They are about 8 weeks now. So he has just sold the 3 of them for €200 each.

Anyway I met him this evening and he has a cow with pneumonia- paid €1500 for her and I reckon he will have her sold next week for a song and replaced.

I've encountered lots of those sort of lad's over the year's, there a judge of everyone else's business and make a balls of there own. The one thing about them is that there usually bachelors and have the money to loose in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The calf died. So he sold the cow for 3 suck calves (2 black wh heifers and 1 red white head heifer) and a bale of hay. (He paid €1400 for the incalf cow) He said The calves were drinking a bag of maverick for €40 a week and decided it was too expensive. They are about 8 weeks now. So he has just sold the 3 of them for €200 each.

Anyway I met him this evening and he has a cow with pneumonia- paid €1500 for her and I reckon he will have her sold next week for a song and replaced.

Surely he’s not giving 3 calves a bag of maverick a week, I’ve not mixed it recently but that seems allot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭148multi

_Brian wrote: »
    Surely he’s not giving 3 calves a bag of maverick a week, I’ve not mixed it recently but that seems allot.

Sure they might have been very big calves Or was he not bothered about the work involved.
    It's hard to know what is behind some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sounds like someone I know.

Elderly bachelor. Can't read nor write.

Started dealing with another ethnic minority just for the company and craic I'd say at the start.
    Bought a thoroughbred gelding for €1600 off them at the start.
    My father when he heard who was dealing with remarked he'll be left with nothing only the headcollar with those boys.
    Trades started then and the thoroughbred became a pair of cobs. The pair of cobs became a connemara. The connemara a Shetland teaser. And eventually the teaser was taken away to get rid. Not even the headcollar..

He mows his plot now with a petrol powered ride on and the boys gone.

I see Andy Doyle on the journal has doubled down, that the straw chopping scheme is permanently taking carbon out of the air and into the soils.

What happens now when soils are tested and the biomass carbon into the tilled soil has been shown to be a transitory carbon and influenced by that farmers soil management and natural forces?

The man knows all this already. He mentioned the great work of regenerative farming from the birthplace in the U.S. Midwest.

A great disservice calling it permanent carbon capture and leading the farmers involved to a calamitous fall.
    What happens then? Will the farmers have to pay the money back in future?
    Would have been safer legally and ethically just to call it a soil health and farmer welfare scheme.

Doubling down with this permanent carbon capture nonsense really walked himself off that cliff.

• Advertisement

I see Andy Doyle on the journal has doubled down, that the straw chopping scheme is permanently taking carbon out of the air and into the soils.

What happens now when soils are tested and the biomass carbon into the tilled soil has been shown to be a transitory carbon and influenced by that farmers soil management and natural forces?

The man knows all this already. He mentioned the great work of regenerative farming from the birthplace in the U.S. Midwest.

A great disservice calling it permanent carbon capture and leading the farmers involved to a calamitous fall.
    What happens then? Will the farmers have to pay the money back in future?
    Would have been safer legally and ethically just to call it a soil health and farmer welfare scheme.

Doubling down with this permanent carbon capture nonsense really walked himself off that cliff.

It's the IFJ, that was your first mistake ;)

Naturally whether it's outright blamed on the farmer or not, it'll be the farmer forced to correct the bad advice, probably by the same people that gave it them in the first place.

I found I have a listed monument on the land, found it on Geohive ages ago. Just rang an archaeologist I know and she's going to come out and have a look. It's a small enough stone circle, man made I'd say but I'm very interested to find out more about it.

Naturally whether it's outright blamed on the farmer or not, it'll be the farmer forced to correct the bad advice, probably by the same people that gave it them in the first place.

I suspect that this was money ringfenced by the EU for carbon saving measures.
    The pot was there and they said why not.

I've had university lecturers remonstrating with me on other forums for calling biochar a biological safe long term carbon storage tool. They maintain it's still part of the carbon biological cycle. It may take thousands of years for some char but it's still part of the cycle.

Now this is not biochar. Stop chopping that straw and continue ploughing and in a few years all that straw carbon and soil carbon is back in the atmosphere.

How the thought of straw just turned into the ground and being subject to soil life degradation and continuous turning of soil by machines and for it to be declared permanently fixed is beyond me and a tillage correspondent at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Base price

When I woke up this morning the first thought that crossed my mind was how rotary parlours collect the milk when the platform that the cows stand on and the clusters continently rotate. I've been trying to figure it out all day and can't so there must be some way cause I have visions of milk pipes winding around each other and I know that can't be the case.
    Before any of ye ask why I woke up with this thought just remember I had a dream last week that a polar bear arrived to the lake on part of our land and he brought his own iceberg :confused:

I suspect that this was money ringfenced by the EU for carbon saving measures.
    The pot was there and they said why not.

I've had university lecturers remonstrating with me on other forums for calling biochar a biological safe long term carbon storage tool. They maintain it's still part of the carbon biological cycle. It may take thousands of years for some char but it's still part of the cycle.

Now this is not biochar. Stop chopping that straw and continue ploughing and in a few years all that straw carbon and soil carbon is back in the atmosphere.

How the thought of straw just turned into the ground and being subject to soil life degradation and continuous turning of soil by machines and for it to be declared permanently fixed is beyond me and a tillage correspondent at that.

A more, well slightly more, serious reply. Yeah with ploughing and what are likely bacterial dominated soils not only will the straw go up into the atmosphere but a lot of other OM as well. That would lead my thinking towards this simply being a vehicle to deliver money and don't mind that GHG craic. I'd suspect such an appropriately termed "scheme" would be signed off faster at home than in Brussels :confused: Then again Brussels is proving to me lately that something has definitely changed over there, not for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Base price wrote: »
    When I woke up this morning the first thought that crossed my mind was how rotary parlours collect the milk when the platform that the cows stand on and the clusters continently rotate. I've been trying to figure it out all day and can't so there must be some way cause I have visions of milk pipes winding around each other and I know that can't be the case.
    Before any of ye ask why I woke up with this thought just remember I had a dream last week that a polar bear arrived to the lake on part of our land and he brought his own iceberg :confused:

I'd imagine it's a form of rotary joint. It can keep rotating in the same direction.

http://www.rotaryjoint.top/case/Craig--CEO-of-Dairymaster-Milk.html

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Base price wrote: »

I have the same question on track diggers. How does the oil get from the tank/pump to the tracks without the pipes getting twisted in knots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭minerleague

I've encountered lots of those sort of lad's over the year's, there a judge of everyone else's business and make a balls of there own. The one thing about them is that there usually bachelors and have the money to loose in the first place.

Ha see a bit of myself in that statement :D Anyway passed TB test today, relief to have it over ( testing in 4 places ) Cattle ( lim sucklers to beef ) are quiet as lambs for me but when they see stranger you couldn't have gates high enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

He must have asked Gabe brown's neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'd imagine it's a form of rotary joint. It can keep rotating in the same direction.

http://www.rotaryjoint.top/case/Craig--CEO-of-Dairymaster-Milk.html

Links not working for me.

It is a rotary joint but, it has a good few layers.
    Main Joint from ground up:
    Milk main line
    Milk divert line
    Vacuum line
    3 phase power
    DC clean supply
    DC rough Supply
    Communications cable
    Cluster Cleanse Air
    Cluster Cleanse Water

Joint hanging from roof:
    Teat spray line
    Wash down line

Think that's about it, I've changed seals in both in the last few weeks.

He must have asked Gabe brown's neighbour?

Gabe Brown's neighbour still thinks he lives in the Carboniferous period.
    I wouldn't be listening to that fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Gabe Brown's neighbour still thinks he lives in the Carboniferous period.
    I wouldn't be listening to that fella.

Mod Note.... Nobody here gets the privilege of who does or doesn't decide to reply/ engage in a discussion.
    Neither is it acceptable to shoot off a smart arsed reply.
    Please desist from this type of posting.
    Thanks. GC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

emaherx wrote: »
    Links not working for me.

It is a rotary joint but, it has a good few layers.
    Main Joint from ground up:
    Milk main line
    Milk divert line
    Vacuum line
    3 phase power
    DC clean supply
    DC rough Supply
    Communications cable
    Cluster Cleanse Air
    Cluster Cleanse Water

Joint hanging from roof:
    Teat spray line
    Wash down line

Think that's about it, I've changed seals in both in the last few weeks.

Neighbour put in new 54 unit Dairymaster 2 yrs ago. I was involved in the electrical work. Here's a pic when it was up and running. Not a great pic but you get an idea of what the "centre gland" looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭emaherx

Neighbour put in new 54 unit Dairymaster 2 yrs ago. I was involved in the electrical work. Here's a pic when it was up and running. Not a great pic but you get an idea of what the "centre gland" looks like.

Center Gland is the correct name.
    I should have taken a few pics of it taken apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

emaherx wrote: »
    Center Gland is the correct name.
    I should have taken a few pics of it taken apart.

Page 24 of the attached;
    https://www.gea.com/en/binaries/gea-iflow-rotary-parlour-en_tcm11-48400.pdf

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

_Brian wrote: »

I thought that myself- but definitely a bag a week. Calved 6weeks.
    But knowing him, he probably isn’t reading the instructions.

Vet has told him before to rear his own replacements due to red water.

The two that buy from and sell to him make a fortune off him, his brothers have tried persuade him to no avail.

The two that buy from and sell to him make a fortune off him, his brothers have tried persuade him to no avail.

Isn't there an injection/vaccination against red water? Or is it's use not as simple as that

I wonder though can he read?

The more you're posting about him the more it's ringing bells with me about people I know who also can't read or who learned late in life.

The ones I know would show an outward confidence and do everything they could to mask that they never could manage it.
    They'd even go as far as pretending to read newspapers in front of people.
    Then they spend money to impress all those around them.
    You could be a next door neighbour and they'd have it hidden from you for your lifetime.

Not forcing anything on you kollege. But it sounds familiar to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I wonder though can he read?

The more you're posting about him the more it's ringing bells with me about people I know who also can't read or who learned late in life.

The ones I know would show an outward confidence and do everything they could to mask that they never could manage it.
    They'd even go as far as pretending to read newspapers in front of people.
    Then they spend money to impress all those around them.
    You could be a next door neighbour and they'd have it hidden from you for your lifetime.

Not forcing anything on you kollege. But it sounds familiar to me.

I agree, he doesn't seem a bad individual or a trickster or such from my take on it.
    Just seems to have bad luck and as you say maybe hidden problems.
    More like he was dealt a bad hand from day one,
    not everyone is born lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I dunno, maybe I am a soft touch but I feel bad for the man...

I don’t know if anyone goes out of their way to lose money. I doubt that man goes to bed at night pleased with losing animals or losing money in deals...

I know you have probably had your fill of him and his troubles now Kollege, so it’s easy for me to talk...

Even though the situation is different, it reminds me of a neighbour we once had at home. Fierce good neighbour, you couldn’t ask for better, but savage for porter :)
    Being young I didn’t understand the ways of beer - the longing it held in the evening time and the murkiness it had for you in the morning...
    I have often thought since that maybe I was harsh on my poor good neighbour - maybe saying we’d work late if we were at a job in his place, or calling down early in the morning when he might have been under pressure to get going...

Like I say, it’s different to your situation Kollege... just throwing it out there that maybe we should go easier on people...
    I know, easy to talk though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭148multi

I have the same question on track diggers. How does the oil get from the tank/pump to the tracks without the pipes getting twisted in knots

A shaft with vertical ports on the top and layered horizontal ports along the shaft separated by seals. The shaft swings with the machine and housing is attached to the undercarriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is that the AI man on page 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Down by the coast? Was at that place I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Mooooo wrote: »
    Down by the coast? Was at that place I'd say.

3 way partnership. One of Carberys 5 Farms suppliers. Open air cubicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

He can read alright, I did say the amount seemed Amoy and if he wanted I could have a look and figure it out but he said the calves were going so no point.

He is definitely being manipulated by the two buyers and sellers. His brother and I have tried to explain to him.

Our land is bad. I’ve10 animals in total on 75acres with yearlings and he has 8cows,calves and bull on about 25 and is under pressure grass wise.

He will sell cows back to the lads again in a few weeks for a loss if grass doesn’t grow.

You would feel for him. But you can only advise so much. I just listen.

As for the red water question- you can inject and treat before they get infected. I think it’s every few weeks.

Advertisement