Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

He can read alright, I did say the amount seemed Amoy and if he wanted I could have a look and figure it out but he said the calves were going so no point.

He is definitely being manipulated by the two buyers and sellers. His brother and I have tried to explain to him.

Our land is bad. I’ve10 animals in total on 75acres with yearlings and he has 8cows,calves and bull on about 25 and is under pressure grass wise.

He will sell cows back to the lads again in a few weeks for a loss if grass doesn’t grow.

You would feel for him. But you can only advise so much. I just listen.

As for the red water question- you can inject and treat before they get infected. I think it’s every few weeks.

Are you finishing school today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

3 way partnership. One of Carberys 5 Farms suppliers. Open air cubicles?

That's the spot, was there on a walk, sound out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭minerleague

Isn't there an injection/vaccination against red water? Or is it's use not as simple as that

Imizol is the treatment for redwater and some farmers inject a double dose as a preventative measure. Think its not a good idea myself as cant see drug companies developing any new drug if resistance develops. ( not a big volume seller ) Use Bayticol to control ticks here ( May and October 2 critical months)

Imizol is the treatment for redwater and some farmers inject a double dose as a preventative measure. Think its not a good idea myself as cant see drug companies developing any new drug if resistance develops. ( not a big volume seller ) Use Bayticol to control ticks here ( May and October 2 critical months)

Thanks, that's interesting to me. I'll be getting cattle in the next few years and we're blessed with many ticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Mooooo wrote: »

He has some serious money spent in the last 3 yrs. Does all his own building. I've been on concrete pours there 100m3+ all done in a few hours. In fairness he always gets in plenty help for that work.

• Advertisement

Thanks, that's interesting to me. I'll be getting cattle in the next few years and we're blessed with many ticks.

As kollegeknight says above if you breed your own it shouldn't be a problem, have reduced suckler herd here last few years so buying in a few stores who can be prone to it. Another tip is give them plenty epsom salts if they get redwater as they can get "bound" ( not passing dung).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

As kollegeknight says above if you breed your own it shouldn't be a problem, have reduced suckler herd here last few years so buying in a few stores who can be prone to it. Another tip is give them plenty epsom salts if they get redwater as they can get "bound" ( not passing dung).

Is it true that younger stock are less likely to get red water?

Thanks, I'll have to buy in stock first. I have a friend who's done it and had the vet give the redwater injections, haven't heard him have any issues. I'll bookmark that under redwater, thanks.

Is it true that younger stock are less likely to get red water?

Have heard it said that unusual to see it in anything under 6 months but that might be because most cattle sold would be either older than that ( moving into redwater area) or else sold as calves and attain immunity??????? ( Dont know is honest answer )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

He has some serious money spent in the last 3 yrs. Does all his own building. I've been on concrete pours there 100m3+ all done in a few hours. In fairness he always gets in plenty help for that work.

Yeah I believe so, parlour was a serious project to take on in that regard in the spring, works hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Mooooo wrote: »

Officially yes but I’ve a few days of work yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Have heard it said that unusual to see it in anything under 6 months but that might be because most cattle sold would be either older than that ( moving into redwater area) or else sold as calves and attain immunity??????? ( Dont know is honest answer )

We don’t have red water issues as all cows exposed to the area as calves.

You have to watch bought in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

a case of Tetany, C- section and 2 for AI...busy morning with the day job thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I remember going with my dad as a kid setting a steel girder in concrete.

I remember him having like gravel in the transport box and putting it in the hole, then pouring water in.

I assume some kind of fast setting concrete was used, but would he have just used gravel and the concrete or would he have needed sand too? Just wondering how it's done tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Odelay

Would he have been packing it in? Tanking the gravel and dry cement around the post? Then dampen with water to bind it together?

Odelay wrote: »
    Would he have been packing it in? Tanking the gravel and dry cement around the post? Then dampen with water to bind it together?

Yeah,think he may have thrown a couple heavy stones around the base to keep is solid, then put the gravel in then poured water down and then used a shovel to make sure the wet gravel/concrete was properly done.

On youtube it just shows lads putting bags of quick setting concrete in around posts, but seems like you'd use a massive amount of bags if you were doing many posts.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Yeah,think he may have thrown a couple heavy stones around the base to keep is solid, then put the gravel in then poured water down and then used a shovel to make sure the wet gravel/concrete was properly done.

On youtube it just shows lads putting bags of quick setting concrete in around posts, but seems like you'd use a massive amount of bags if you were doing many posts.

Any posts I've had to use concrete I'd always use big stones in the hole too. The concrete being there as the glue to keep the stones together to provide the mass stability for the post. No more than anything there'd be a ratio limit to how much or less is good or bad.

Any posts I've had to use concrete I'd always use big stones in the hole too. The concrete being there as the glue to keep the stones together to provide the mass stability for the post. No more than anything there'd be a ratio limit to how much or less is good or bad.

What do you mix with the cement to make the concrete? Gravel? Or sand aswell?

Is the correct term aggregate & cement? Aggregate being a mix of gravel/small stones and sand, then combine that with cement and water to make concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You can buy 1 ton bags of "concrete mix".
    A material with various size stones from sand to pea gravel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Local co-op here sells 1 tonne bags of concreting gravel at €54. They sell it loose as well. Over the weighbridge at €18. The same gravel can be delivered by the supplier in 20 tonne loads for around €22 a tonne. The bags are convenient but a pure rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Anyone else here dig holes for posts wider at the bottom than the top?
    My father always did it so I just copied him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Dozer1 wrote: »
    a case of Tetany, C- section and 2 for AI...busy morning with the day job thrown in

Was the section out of the charolais bull, how did he work out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Yea...2 sections down 2 more to go my own fault last year took eye off the ball. I sent him for burgers too much work. For my sins I went back to senan for a new lad off potterleagh mark .
    I've really good calves off the other bull but they were just too tall.

jimini0 wrote: »
    Anyone else here dig holes for posts wider at the bottom than the top?
    My father always did it so I just copied him.

I think I'm doing well to get it straight, and in the right place...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

I think I'm doing well to get it straight, and in the right place...!

He reckoned it should be cone shaped. More concrete around the base less chance of it moving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Yea...2 sections down 2 more to go my own fault last year took eye off the ball. I sent him for burgers too much work. For my sins I went back to senan for a new lad off potterleagh mark .
    I've really good calves off the other bull but they were just too tall.

Are u happy with potterleagh or not?

It's just gravel is it?

Would you add some quick setting concrete, mix it, put it down the hole and then throw water on it to set it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

As the lads have said, agrigate mix is what you want for setting posts. Getting it in the ton bags is handy as it keeps it tidy, you can fold in the top of the bag and it stops loosing it or it getting contaminated

• Advertisement

It's just gravel is it?
    It's not just gravel, it's a range of material sizes.
    Now, for a gate post, gravel would probably do, you'd need a bit more cement probably.
    Would you add some quick setting concrete, mix it, put it down the hole and then throw water on it to set it?

No, I can't see that being any good at all.
    No way it'd be thoroughly mixed, you'd have dry pockets with no strength at all.
    What's the need for "quick setting" cement?
    Just leave it a few days before hanging the gate.
    Either throw down an 8x4 sheet of ply and mix with the shovel, or beg, buy, or borrow a tractor cement mixer.

Advertisement