Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Pussyhands wrote: »
    What do you mix with the cement to make the concrete? Gravel? Or sand aswell?

https://www.irishcement.ie/howto/planning-your-concrete-job/

https://www.irishcement.ie/howto/calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    No, I can't see that being any good at all.
    No way it'd be thoroughly mixed, you'd have dry pockets with no strength at all.
    What's the need for "quick setting" cement?
    Just leave it a few days before hanging the gate.
    Either throw down an 8x4 sheet of ply and mix with the shovel, or beg, buy, or borrow a tractor cement mixer.

We used to mix small bits of concrete in the transport box when we needed a bit for hanging a gate or similiar...
    (I think ye Cavan barbarians call it a link box, or so my good wife tells me) :)

It’s probably a bit awkward but when mixed, you just drive to where you want it and throw it in...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I mixed it with the skidsteer last 2 times, leave it set for a week

I wonder where would a lad get a warning sign about land that's rife with ticks. I figure it'd work better than any other type.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Father got a call yesterday evening from a neighbour out walking who seen 3 lads in around the yard. Father went up to look and 3 lads in "hunting rabbits". Probably in seeing what was about the place.

While up there, he noticed a few fresh cow****es. This is highly unusual as we don't have cattle there. I went for a stroll around this morning and neighbours cattle had broke in to the silage fields. His fence overgrown with briars and down. They just walked through the hedge. I'd imagine hunger drove them to it. Not too much damage done to the grass, but still plenty of ****es everywhere. That won't make great bales :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I wonder where would a lad get a warning sign about land that's rife with ticks. I figure it'd work better than any other type.

A neighbour put up a sign saying the land is covered in taraxacum officinale which is toxic.
    taraxacum officinale is dandelion which is toxic if you eat enough of it...... he says :rolleyes:

wrangler wrote: »
    A neighbour put up a sign saying the land is covered in taraxacum officinale which is toxic.
    taraxacum officinale is dandelion which is toxic if you eat enough of it...... he says :rolleyes:

I've seen versions of that before alright. I'm figuring ticks have enough media time to be well recognised generally. We had all sort of signs before but they get ignored. Between broken gates, gates left open, loosened fences, sheep put into the sea, dogs... Foreigners are usually the most respectful, but our own :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Father got a call yesterday evening from a neighbour out walking who seen 3 lads in around the yard. Father went up to look and 3 lads in "hunting rabbits". Probably in seeing what was about the place.

While up there, he noticed a few fresh cow****es. This is highly unusual as we don't have cattle there. I went for a stroll around this morning and neighbours cattle had broke in to the silage fields. His fence overgrown with briars and down. They just walked through the hedge. I'd imagine hunger drove them to it. Not too much damage done to the grass, but still plenty of ****es everywhere. That won't make great bales :mad:

Have 2 strays in here atm. Two aax cows. I haven't a clue who has the land taken around us. I have their tag numbers.

Danzy wrote: »
    God be good to Gay but his fakeness was very genuine.

I hope he was reincarnated as a farmer.

Up at Down Royal young lad did a 10k run. New pb of 35.26 knocked 32 seconds his old pb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

_Brian wrote: »
    As the lads have said, agrigate mix is what you want for setting posts. Getting it in the ton bags is handy as it keeps it tidy, you can fold in the top of the bag and it stops loosing it or it getting contaminated

The ready mix, you just pour water on top of it or do you have to mix it first?

The reason I mentioned the quick setting concrete is because the time my old man did it, he just threw water in on top which seems to be the process for quick setting concrete.

I'd assume the aggregate mix you'd mix water with it first, so one shovel cement + 3 shovels of aggregate mix + water, then put it down the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Are u happy with potterleagh or not?

He's my new bull so only in action last few weeks so will be the spring before I'll have anything on the ground from him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Pussyhands wrote: »
    The ready mix, you just pour water on top of it or do you have to mix it first?

The reason I mentioned the quick setting concrete is because the time my old man did it, he just threw water in on top which seems to be the process for quick setting concrete.

I'd assume the aggregate mix you'd mix water with it first, so one shovel cement + 3 shovels of aggregate mix + water, then put it down the hole.

3 to 1 is unnecessarily strong for a gate post, I would suggest.
    5 or 6 to one would do rightly.
    If you are mixing by shovel, mix your aggregate and cement powder thoroughly, then gradually add water till its wet enough, mixing all the time
    My dad would have you throw the mixture from left to right, then back again, and once more to the right, then water.
    He claimed it needed turning 3 times dry and 3 times wet to be properly done.
    Got a tractor mixer now, so throw in 3/4 bucket of water and keep pegging in the aggregate and powder till it starts to dribble out the back...
    If it gets too dry add a LITTLE water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Dozer1 wrote: »
    He's my new bull so only in action last few weeks so will be the spring before I'll have anything on the ground from him

Aw sorry, he's your new bull, I didn't follow that.
    I'd know the boys that bred your bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you have a limited company does the general public have access (online nowadays) to your accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you have a limited company does the general public have access (online nowadays) to your accounts?

The public and private afaik, private limited companies don't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »
    The public and private afaik, private limited companies don't

Would you be or anyone else able to flesh out the differences between both?

What way would most farmer companies be?

No just after the bps beneficiaries were published on agriland. I googled one and the option was there if i paid a fee (there was a day free trial option) to see their accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭148multi

Depends where the company is registered, main difference is personal liability as i understand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Local GAA club here had a draw for a car. One local wealthy person, wanting to help the club, bought a lot of tickets. Guess who won the car? :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Local GAA club here had a draw for a car. One local wealthy person, wanting to help the club, bought a lot of tickets. Guess who won the car? :D

Fr ted raffle ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I never trust them GAA raffles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Figerty

Sure weren't the odds much higher they bought lots of tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

It wasn't Kilgarvan Gaa club by any chance 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Figerty wrote: »
    Sure weren't the odds much higher they bought lots of tickets!
    They were, but still. Kinda Funny, the way it happened.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have mix here for chainsaw which is probably 2 months mixed
    Would it be alright to use up in the lawnmower and mix fresh for the saw?
    Had an issue with saw flooding

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Local man won an 18 reg New Holland tractor off one of those professional raffle setups lately. That's the 5th tractor locally thats been won in the last 12 month's along with car's and other bits and pieces. I never bothered buying the the tickets but I know a lot who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have mix here for chainsaw which is probably 2 months mixed
    Would it be alright to use up in the lawnmower and mix fresh for the saw?
    Had an issue with saw flooding

Not unless your lawnmower is 2 stroke which is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Avns1s wrote: »
    Not unless your lawnmower is 2 stroke which is highly unlikely.

Thanks for that, I’ll set it aside

My sister was involved in a local show comm-ittt-eeee and bought me a ticket for the double horsebox raffle. I had gone fishing the day was so nice so wasn't even there. Got a call while out on the sea that I'd won the trailer :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

My sister was involved in a local show comm-ittt-eeee and bought me a ticket for the double horsebox raffle. I had gone fishing the day was so nice so wasn't even there. Got a call while out on the sea that I'd won the trailer :o
    Did you give her the horse box after? 😂

Advertisement