Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did you give her the horse box after? ��

What do you think :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What do you think :pac:

I think some of the committees back your side could teach the mafia a trick or two haha

Bullocks wrote: »
    I think some of the committees back your side could teach the mafia a trick or two haha

Certainly on the showing side of things I would think!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Anyone here familiar with Fertility Testing? Sold a bull last month and had the fella get back to me saying the bull was fertility tested and barely gave a sample with low sperm count yet he already has 2 cows scanned in calf for me since January. What's the best next steps? Say he had a bad day and get him tested again? The bull is only 21 months old right now so he should be good to go you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Anyone here familiar with Fertility Testing? Sold a bull last month and had the fella get back to me saying the bull was fertility tested and barely gave a sample with low sperm count yet he already has 2 cows scanned in calf for me since January. What's the best next steps? Say he had a bad day and get him tested again? The bull is only 21 months old right now so he should be good to go you would think.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmer-suing-breeder-over-infertile-bull-claims/&ved=2ahUKEwi67LbrzfbwAhV4TBUIHaHnBGkQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0rk0l7tHwoqdREgBfyxnHr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Maybe do no harm to get him tested again. Any reason why he was quick to get him fertility tested after buying him? Was the bull not showing interest in cows in heat, or was the farmer just being very cautious and pro-active.
    If he had got the two cows in calf for the farmer, he wouldn't have a case as he's getting cows in calf, but the fact they're you cows in calf he has a case. Sounds like the bull is sub-fertile, which is not what the customer was paying for.
    We've sold bulls over the years that have been sub-fertile and infertile and have taken them back and beefed them and the customer got a replacement. If I was you, I'd offer to pay to get him tested again just so you know for your own good and you make the call from the results of the test.
    Worst case scenario, you give the man his money back and you kill the bull, decent beef price at the minute will see him go a ways to the loss. Not ideal, but that's the game with selling bulls, they're not all breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭cute geoge

One known big scale breeder often tells of taking back young bulls not working ,but he would have another to offer as replacement .He would keep on the bull not working until following year and by this time he would be well fit for work again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Local GAA club here had a draw for a car. One local wealthy person, wanting to help the club, bought a lot of tickets. Guess who won the car? :D

Local GAA club raffles a house about 10 years ago.
    Wife of the towns/countys biggest property developer won it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Saw an unusual garda vehicle today.

A white suv with just plain garda on the front and side in black.
    No yellow or blue on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Base price

No yellow or blue on it.
    An Garda Siochana hired in 200 vehicles last March due to Covid. Our local station has a red suv with Garda stickers on the side, bonnet and back door.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-garda%C3%AD-in-200-rented-cars-set-for-community-outreach-1.4204557

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How many cows was he out with on new farm? What breed of bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Have mix here for chainsaw which is probably 2 months mixed
    Would it be alright to use up in the lawnmower and mix fresh for the saw?
    Had an issue with saw flooding

Does your lawnmower run on two stroke?
    I am asking because any lawnmower I have/had took straight petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Base price wrote: »
    An Garda Siochana hired in 200 vehicles last March due to Covid. Our local station has a red suv with Garda stickers on the side, bonnet and back door.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-garda%C3%AD-in-200-rented-cars-set-for-community-outreach-1.4204557

Yeah, local Gardai running around in a grey Citroen C4 Picasso, just the word "Garda" in white on the back hatch.
    You'd never expect them to be in a School Run wagon...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A product called Fuel Fit can be used in the petrol. Good for the engine and also stops the petrol going stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yeah, local Gardai running around in a grey Citroen C4 Picasso, just the word "Garda" in white on the back hatch.

Exactly. This buck today I was really wondering was it someone pretending to be the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No lawnmower is 4 stroke
    My thought was if mix is too old and unsuitable for 2 stroke could I just substitute it for petrol or would it do harm to the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Odelay

No lawnmower is 4 stroke
    My thought was if mix is too old and unsuitable for 2 stroke could I just substitute it for petrol or would it do harm to the engine

Wouldnt bother with it. At best you'll coat the spark plug, it just wont burn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yea cavan/monaghan is rife with them, more of them about than the normal garda car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had a young calf dehorned a week ago and a hogget with maggots this evening. Would make you rethink farming as a career.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Had a young calf dehorned a week ago and a hogget with maggots this evening. Would make you rethink farming as a career.

Every day brings it's own challenges, the last few good day's are a welcome relief to the people after a dismal spell of weather. Maggots are a risk from now on although there not as aggressive this early compared to late summer/autumn in my experience. There still a nuisance though, I could never warm rightly to the white vermin and I'd rather cattle tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Every day brings it's own challenges, the last few good day's are a welcome relief to the people after a dismal spell of weather. Maggots are a risk from now on although there not as aggressive this early compared to late summer/autumn in my experience. There still a nuisance though, I could never warm rightly to the white vermin and I'd rather cattle tbh.

Sheep do get bad press, but a lot of work is taken out of them now towards years ago, Clik, regular footbathing and vaccinations has tken 75% of the hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I like the sheep but I wasn't brought up with them so I'm learning my way a bit. I caught her early enough in fairness and they hadn't burrowed in. Never had them in a calf after dehorning before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭148multi

See a black c4 around here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

I like the sheep but I wasn't brought up with them so I'm learning my way a bit. I caught her early enough in fairness and they hadn't burrowed in. Never had them in a calf after dehorning before though.

Skulled 4 bought in heifers a month ago and got maggots in one of their heads. Had to catch her and rinse the cavity with hydrogen peroxide solution for 3 days. She loved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Grueller wrote: »
    Skulled 4 bought in heifers a month ago and got maggots in one of their heads. Had to catch her and rinse the cavity with hydrogen peroxide solution for 3 days. She loved that.

hydrogen peroxide is the only thing that you could be sure that there was none left in her.
    Had to use it on a ram here and like that there was more coming out every day. A scab formed over it and I didn't see them until it was nearly too late

wrangler wrote: »
    Sheep do get bad press, but a lot of work is taken out of them now towards years ago, Clik, regular footbathing and vaccinations has tken 75% of the hardship

I think cattle are much easier for the daily routine, easier check a few beasts than a lot of sheep. Flip side is it's not so easy to throw a sick cow up on your shoulder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

wrangler wrote: »

Sheep are still constant work. I'd rate them as the next step down from the dairy cow, workwise. The nearest I'm getting to them is the lovely half leg of lamb I cooked Monday. It'll do today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Water John wrote: »
    Sheep are still constant work. I'd rate them as the next step down from the dairy cow, workwise. The nearest I'm getting to them is the lovely half leg of lamb I cooked Monday. It'll do today too.

I find the work starts with sheep when winter feeding begins, steps up when pre lambing feeding /housing begins, explodes for lambing, drops a gear then from lambing to shearing and after shearing, well when cliked a few weeks after, it’s a doddle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

No yellow or blue on it.

Heading down the M9 this evening a white hyundai jeep with Garda on the front of it came right up behind me and i might have been going a bitteen hard all the same and thought at first it was an engineer with the crowd i wlrk with due to the similarities in vehicle and logos. Luckily enough there must have been somewhere more importabt for them to be as they took no notice of me and there was several more pulled in in various spots along the rest of the way home.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Heading down the M9 this evening a white hyundai jeep with Garda on the front of it came right up behind me and i might have been going a bitteen hard all the same and thought at first it was an engineer with the crowd i wlrk with due to the similarities in vehicle and logos. Luckily enough there must have been somewhere more importabt for them to be as they took no notice of me and there was several more pulled in in various spots along the rest of the way home.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1382350973302145026

On a separate note, reading through some of the recent threads and the pessimism is depressing. You'd wonder why some lads farm at all.

Advertisement