Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

_Brian wrote: »
    Down south in that free draining land is the place for rain amd mist.

Our cleggy clay still isn’t trafficable in places since the spring.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Thinking of trying the milk pregnancy test on some of the cows served 28 days
    Has anyone used this before and was it accurate?

Worked out fine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I remember a partial eclipse back about 20 years ago. Got duskish and all the birds went quiet for about an hour. Was overcast that day too so wasnt overly obvious.

Yep, remember it well.
    Was cutting silage and brought the camera and a welding glass with me.
    Got a good series of shots of the eclipse, and the "diamond ring" as the moon started to move away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I see LSL are starting to charge €50+vat to be able watch back the cattle sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see LSL are starting to charge €50+vat to be able watch back the cattle sales.

Seriously, who's going to pay for that?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Odelay

Madness. They should just put them on YouTube and earn their cash there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You cannot contest the case for the N20. As I have stated previously it's the most critical piece of infrastructure in Ireland at present. The present road between the 2nd and 3rd larges cities would not be seen in any European country.

The traffic volumes on it are already underestimated as traffic can tend at time to use a workaround to avoid using it. As well it will attract traffic onto it. Traffic from the eastern and southern side of Killarney will be attracted to join it at Mallow to access motorway rather than the spin to Adare at present or even Rathkeale when the Adare bypass is complete.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Yeah it will cut their subscribers. Plenty of advertising to be made without gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

You cannot contest the case for the N20. As I have stated previously it's the most critical piece of infrastructure in Ireland at present. The present road between the 2nd and 3rd larges cities would not be seen in any European country.

The traffic volumes on it are already underestimated as traffic can tend at time to use a workaround to avoid using it. As well it will attract traffic onto it. Traffic from the eastern and southern side of Killarney will be attracted to join it at Mallow to access motorway rather than the spin to Adare at present or even Rathkeale when the Adare bypass is complete.

what-did-you-say_Anchorman.jpg

what-did-you-say_Anchorman.jpg

It went in on the wrong thread

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH, my brother and I went for dinner this evening and it was great to be handed a plate of food that I didn't have to prepare and cook myself. It was a bit chilly outside with a coolish breeze but I wore a heavy fleece and body warmer. We got chatting to the people at the next table (2 couples) and the women were complaining about how cold it was. They both said that they should have worn warmer clothing, neither of them were dressed for outdoor dining in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Base price wrote: »
    OH, my brother and I went for dinner this evening and it was great to be handed a plate of food that I didn't have to prepare and cook myself. It was a bit chilly outside with a coolish breeze but I wore a heavy fleece and body warmer. We got chatting to the people at the next table (2 couples) and the women were complaining about how cold it was. They both said that they should have worn warmer clothing, neither of them were dressed for outdoor dining in Ireland.

Maybe a dinner jacket will evolve to become something else now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »

The window for outdoor dining in ireland is small, evenings get cool quickly even on the best of days. Still nice to see people out amd about again though. Hope you enjoyed it.

_Brian wrote: »
    The window for outdoor dining in ireland is small, evenings get cool quickly even on the best of days. Still nice to see people out amd about again though. Hope you enjoyed it.

You just have to have layers. I put a vest under the shirt and take a jacket and a jumper or a warm fleece.

We were out Wednesday night for a few drinks. The place we went to a rural pub/restaurant has an outdoor smoking area that he has covered. He has a walk to make it L shaped and has put a a fairly large wood burning stove that kept it warm. We went at 7 pm and left at 10pm. We had arranged to meet a couple we knew. We got a platter of finger food at about 8.30.

It great to be home that bit earlier it definitely helps the following morning

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Need a bit of advice folks, sold a heifer that was scanned 5 weeks in calf the day before i sold her and got a letter from the mart yesterday saying the buyer approached the mart saying she’s not in calf - she was due to calve next week. Has the buyer a leg to stand on here? Mart manager told them they were a bit late to come and make a complaint and I think the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

You just have to have layers. I put a vest under the shirt and take a jacket and a jumper or a warm fleece.

We were out Wednesday night for a few drinks. The place we went to a rural pub/restaurant has an outdoor smoking area that he has covered. He has a walk to make it L shaped and has put a a fairly large wood burning stove that kept it warm. We went at 7 pm and left at 10pm. We had arranged to meet a couple we knew. We got a platter of finger food at about 8.30.

It great to be home that bit earlier it definitely helps the following morning

Same as that - went out Wednesday for a few jars and some grub. We were in the pub in the afternoon for lunch and home again early...
    Probably had a few too many :) But was lovely to be out and about...
    Something different to eat, in some place different like Base said, and a bit of craic...
    And being in bed early, I wasn’t too shook Thursday morning...

Was lovely to be out I must say...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah the big diff is not having to cook it yourself Dinzee!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Water John wrote: »
    Ah the big diff is not having to cook it yourself Dinzee!!!

I don’t do much of the cooking, a bit, but not a lot...
    But I find with the kids small, you eat up having the same 5 or 6 things all the time... even with take away, you end up going to the chipper, rather than an Indian or something...
    So nice to get a chance to eat something different...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Need a bit of advice folks, sold a heifer that was scanned 5 weeks in calf the day before i sold her and got a letter from the mart yesterday saying the buyer approached the mart saying she’s not in calf - she was due to calve next week. Has the buyer a leg to stand on here? Mart manager told them they were a bit late to come and make a complaint and I think the same

Was she sold as scanned and guaranteed incalf? If yes then I'd imagine the buyer has a valid point, he bought a springer that's now a dry heifer, granted it's neither his fault or yours but that's beside the point. I'd be looking to come to some sort of arrangement with him tbh.

I'd be slow to guarantee pregnancy in any cow under 4 or 5 months incalf. I often seen them to break at 6 weeks and more. Be better selling them as running with a bull at that stage and you've covered for all eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Was she sold as scanned and guaranteed incalf? If yes then I'd imagine the buyer has a valid point, he bought a springer that's now a dry heifer, granted it's neither his fault or yours but that's beside the point. I'd be looking to come to some sort of arrangement with him tbh.

I'd be slow to guarantee pregnancy in any cow under 4 or 5 months incalf. I often seen them to break at 6 weeks and more. Be better selling them as running with a bull at that stage and you've covered for all eventualities.

She was scanned the day before we sold her and the vet said she was 5 weeks in calf at that time. We think the fact that he left her off for the last 8 months and didn’t see her progress and then decides to get on to us the week before she’s supposed to calve is a bit of a reach. Surely when you don’t see a heifer fill out over time you’d think of checking her or at least you’d see her bulling at some point over the last 6 months right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Same as that - went out Wednesday for a few jars and some grub. We were in the pub in the afternoon for lunch and home again early...
    Probably had a few too many :) But was lovely to be out and about...
    Something different to eat, in some place different like Base said, and a bit of craic...
    And being in bed early, I wasn’t too shook Thursday morning...

Was lovely to be out I must say...

Off to our local at 6 for tea and pints. Young lad will drive us. Have to be out by 8. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

whelan2 wrote: »

Off to our local at 6 for tea and pints. Young lad will drive us. Have to be out by 8. Looking forward to it

Meeting a few lads that have been on it for the day already later on, ill be glad of the early finish tonight too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

whelan2 wrote: »

He'll be getting a lemonade, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

About time people could live alittle. Long time coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Reggie. wrote: »

And long may it last too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My sister has ms. She's fully vaccinated. Brought my dad to a hospital appointment in Dublin the other day but she tripped while waiting him and hurt her wrist. She never told him and drove him home. Her other hand is affected by ms and she has very limited use of it. Her first journey away since being locked up due to covid. She couldn't wait to go. Wrist isn't broken but she can't drive or text or anything like that for a while. Your health is your wealth

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Without knowing how these things are normally dealt with by marts, I'd say it's his tough luck. You'd want to be a bit green not to realise that being guaranteed in-calf at five weeks is not much of a guarantee of a pregnancy going to term. It was him, not you, looking after her since. I don't see how you could be held in any way responsible.

Given he's chancing his arm, are you going to take his word she's not in-calf?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »

A neighbours daughter has it, she's about 20, her father says a ''f.....g party''.
    She's very very sick and confined to her room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭tanko

You did nothing wrong here, i’d tell them to get lost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

She was scanned the day before we sold her and the vet said she was 5 weeks in calf at that time. We think the fact that he left her off for the last 8 months and didn’t see her progress and then decides to get on to us the week before she’s supposed to calve is a bit of a reach. Surely when you don’t see a heifer fill out over time you’d think of checking her or at least you’d see her bulling at some point over the last 6 months right?

I'm disagreeing with any of the above and it is a bit of a stretch to have let it lie for nearly 8 months without seeking recourse. You'd want to make sure it was you're heifer and that everything that the other party claims is correct before agreeing to anything.

However if she was sold as being scanned and guaranteed incalf then imo the goods are now not as described. Why should anyone scan for pregnancy if you can turn around afterwards and say that it wasn't a binding agreement if and when it suits. I'd be of the opinion that scanning at such an early stage could cause embryo loss but I'm not a expert on the matter. I'm looking at it from the prospective that the heifer was sold and guaranteed as being incalf which has supposedly since been found to be untrue, imo you have some level of responsibility towards this.

Advertisement