Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'm disagreeing with any of the above and it is a bit of a stretch to have let it lie for nearly 8 months without seeking recourse. You'd want to make sure it was you're heifer and that everything that the other party claims is correct before agreeing to anything.

However if she was sold as being scanned and guaranteed incalf then imo the goods are now not as described. Why should anyone scan for pregnancy if you can turn around afterwards and say that it wasn't a binding agreement if and when it suits. I'd be of the opinion that scanning at such an early stage could cause embryo loss but I'm not a expert on the matter. I'm looking at it from the prospective that the heifer was sold and guaranteed as being incalf which has supposedly since been found to be untrue, imo you have some level of responsibility towards this.

But thats just it, in calf at the time of sale. What happens after is entirely up to the buyer. The seller did not guarantee the heifer to hold, stay alive or calf be born. Those things are out of his control. Animal was as described when sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Don't most marts have a sign up saying animal is sold as seen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Odelay wrote: »
    But thats just it, in calf at the time of sale. What happens after is entirely up to the buyer. The seller did not guarantee the heifer to hold, stay alive or calf be born. Those things are out of his control. Animal was as described when sold.
    I remember hearing a story years ago (in the time of tie up byres) about a neighbour who bought a milking cow from a auld farmer a few miles away. The cow was fine and milked away for the neighbour but a couple of weeks later he found her dead in the field. He met the man that he bought her from in the pub a few days later and told him what had happened hoping for some sort of compensation. The auld boy pipes up "she never did that with me"

whelan2 wrote: »
    No and most don't have the sale terms and conditions on their website let alone on the premises especially during Covid times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd be of the opinion that a guarantee of pregnancy was a guarantee of the heifer atleast carrying to term. I've seen several instances of supposed incalf cow's turning out to be not incalf and there was usually some reimbursement for the purchaser varying on the circumstances. I personally wouldn't guarantee a cow incalf at 5 weeks as I'd believe the chance of her repeating or loosing the pregnancy was too high but seemingly some people would.

• Advertisement

It's usually only in relation to cull cow's and not applicable in all marts. In most cases young stock and breeding cattle are sold as described and you've a comeback if they later turn out to have issues not disclosed at the time of sale. It's a different story if the animal is announced as having a fault or sold "as seen" for whatever reason and this would be noted in the records at the time of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Need a bit of advice folks, sold a heifer that was scanned 5 weeks in calf the day before i sold her and got a letter from the mart yesterday saying the buyer approached the mart saying she’s not in calf - she was due to calve next week. Has the buyer a leg to stand on here? Mart manager told them they were a bit late to come and make a complaint and I think the same

He is looking at her nearly 8 months.
    1. She broke early and he never noticed her bulling so is a poor stock man.
    2. She slipped recently and its not your fault.

Either way I would wash my hands now if I were you.

Base price wrote: »
    I remember hearing a story years ago (in the time of tie up byres) about a neighbour who bought a milking cow from a auld farmer a few miles away. The cow was fine and milked away for the neighbour but a couple of weeks later he found her dead in the field. He met the man that he bought her from in the pub a few days later and told him what had happened hoping for some sort of compensation. The auld boy pipes up "she never did that with me"

I got a good laugh at that!

I'd be of the opinion that a guarantee of pregnancy was a guarantee of the heifer atleast carrying to term. I've seen several instances of supposed incalf cow's turning out to be not incalf and there was usually some reimbursement for the purchaser varying on the circumstances. I personally wouldn't guarantee a cow incalf at 5 weeks as I'd believe the chance of her repeating or loosing the pregnancy was too high but seemingly some people would.

Guaranteed in calf, not to calf, in calf. Big difference.

Guaranteed in calf, not to calf, in calf. Big difference.

It's not me you have to convince, make sure and keep us updated how you fair out.

• Advertisement

It's usually only in relation to cull cow's and not applicable in all marts. In most cases young stock and breeding cattle are sold as described and you've a comeback if they later turn out to have issues not disclosed at the time of sale. It's a different story if the animal is announced as having a fault or sold "as seen" for whatever reason and this would be noted in the records at the time of sale.
    I wonder is there a National set of terms and conditions that covers the sale of livestock in marts or is it dependant on each mart to set their own. Years ago there used to be one for the sale of pedigree livestock which the breed societies adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

It's not me you have to convince, make sure and keep us updated how you fair out.
    An animal only 5 weeks in calf is a doggy buy as there would be a fair chance she would break with the stress of the Mart.
    I would guess that the animal was sold as scanned 5 weeks in calf which was genuine. I heard of a similar story in the local Mart and the managers argument was that's the condition the animal was sold in, but was not a guarantee of future performance, anything could have happened in the interim that would have caused the heifer to loose the calf. The buyer suffered the loss.

I wonder is there a National set of terms and conditions that covers the sale of livestock in marts or is it dependant on each mart to set their own. Years ago there used to be one for the sale of pedigree livestock which the breed societies adopted.

Short answer being I don't know but there's a general framework that most marts seem to implement. Cull cows may be sold "as seen" with no comeback, heifers are deemed maiden and free of calf unless announced as otherwise at point of sale etc and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Am I right I’m saying that if I double wrap bales I’ll get 20-22 bales a roll ??

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    An animal only 5 weeks in calf is a doggy buy as there would be a fair chance she would break with the stress of the Mart.
    I would guess that the animal was sold as scanned 5 weeks in calf which was genuine. I heard of a similar story in the local Mart and the managers argument was that's the condition the animal was sold in, but was not a guarantee of future performance, anything could have happened in the interim that would have caused the heifer to loose the calf. The buyer suffered the loss.

As before I agree with all those points and I'd be thinking that handling or scanning a cow at that early stage wouldn't help the situation either. I wouldn't sell an animal as guaranteed incalf at that stage for those same reasons and I'd be skeptical of buying one announced as so again for those reasons. However someone else may not have the same reservations and expect something different from hearing a "guarantee" of being incalf.

As before I agree with all those points and I'd be thinking that handling or scanning a cow at that early stage wouldn't help the situation either. I wouldn't sell an animal as guaranteed incalf at that stage for those same reasons and I'd be skeptical of buying one announced as so again for those reasons. However someone else may not have the same reservations and expect something different from hearing a "guarantee" of being incalf.
    In fairness OP did say that she was announced scanned and 5 weeks in calf but does that imply a guarantee of a live calf 38 +/- weeks later - I wouldn't think it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

_Brian wrote: »
    Am I right I’m saying that if I double wrap bales I’ll get 20-22 bales a roll ??

24 turns on the wrapper would be 6 layers of wrap on the bale and would get about 20/21 bales per roll of wrap in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

OH, my brother and I went for dinner this evening and it was great to be handed a plate of food that I didn't have to prepare and cook myself. It was a bit chilly outside with a coolish breeze but I wore a heavy fleece and body warmer. We got chatting to the people at the next table (2 couples) and the women were complaining about how cold it was. They both said that they should have worn warmer clothing, neither of them were dressed for outdoor dining in Ireland.

We went to the local from 6 to. 8. Daughter then went babysitting for a couple heading out at 8. They were back before 10 , said they were freezing. Handy 50 euro for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

We went to the local from 6 to. 8. Daughter then went babysitting for a couple heading out at 8. They were back before 10 , said they were freezing. Handy 50 euro for her.

I'm delighted for her.high time many of us started putting a good price on our time,when someone wants us.

I suppose us farmers know how to dress to suit the weather conditions and I made sure I was wearing a few layers last night especially the heavy fleece that youngest got me for Christmas last year. IMO you're either into fashion or comfort and I prefer comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Talking of outdoor eating is a joke in this country, it's not on the mediteranean we're on. We're havin a rare bout of good weather at the moment, wait tillit changes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

wrangler wrote: »
    Talking of outdoor eating is a joke in this country, it's not on the mediteranean we're on. We're havin a rare bout of good weather at the moment, wait tillit changes

I hate eating outside. Even inside I don't like the window or door open when I'm having the dinner.
    Outdoor dining will die a death at the first wet evening.
    We went to the cinema Friday night and drove past a few pubs on the way home from salthill. I was going to stop for a pint but the sight of people with big jackets gathering under heat lamps like day old chicks put me off. Great crowd out all the same though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lads it's only for 4-5 weeks. Indoor dining and drinking should be back by start of first week in July.

It better than nothing for the pubs and restaurants involved. I just pick my night out. In general I try to avoid crowds. I arrange to meet a couple of people. I went mid week and you get to pick where you sit. I managed to get a sheltered spot both time under a canopy.

If you are free during the day like some cranky old people you can toddle off on a good fine day and find somewhere to have a bit of lunch and a few pints just find another few cranky old codgers to go with you.

It like making silage instead of waiting for the sunny weather that never comes.

It's time to be getting on with it, it being life

Slava Ukrainii

Bullocks wrote: »
    the sight of people with big jackets gathering under heat lamps

Climate change how are you. Those yokes are a pet hate of mine.

wrangler wrote: »

Grey, overcast, cool, and damp/wet here yesterday and today. A courier stopped asking me directions to a neighbour and was complaining about the lack of a "heatwave", I suggested he may be more lost than he though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Outdoor dining will last long after Covid.

In parts of the country.

Dublin and Cork would have much driers summer's than most, in the rest of the country it will be flexible and rarer but Restaurants and bars like it because most of their customers like it

Danzy wrote: »
    Outdoor dining will last long after Covid.

In parts of the country.

Dublin and Cork would have much driers summer's than most, in the rest of the country it will be flexible and rarer but Restaurants and bars like it because most of their customers like it

I think maybe it will help the cafe culture and pedestrianisation of more streets in cities. This is a great move as city centres need to be for people first and cars second.

In smaller towns street side stuff won’t last and the outdoor spaces out the back will basically be large smoking areas but there to fall back on when needed.

Local town here the council offered the hotel and one gastro pub out door street side dining areas. It’s just a slab of rough poured concrete blocking 8 parking spaces, they didn’t even pave it with same bricks as footpaths, it’s like a pad for a ring feeder and neither is level enough to be comfortable for sitting eating your dinner. Outdoor spaces done poorly are a waste, they need to be part of a town wide solution and not just plonked in the middle of parking spaces.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdF5tD4N/

Anyone seen this program?? Any clips I’ve seen have been funny enough.

I will have to find a free source.

Just back from helping the elderly neighbour across the road to draw in bales of silage from his field beside the yard. When we finished he told me to hang on for a minute, disappeared into the house and arrived back out a few mins later with two mugs, a bottle of Harveys Bristol Cream and a packet of mikado biscuits. He filled both mugs and handed me one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Just back from helping the elderly neighbour across the road to draw in bales of silage from his field beside the yard. When we finished he told me to hang on for a minute, disappeared into the house and arrived back out a few mins later with two mugs, a bottle of Harveys Bristol Cream and a packet of mikado biscuits. He filled both mugs and handed me one :D

His heart was in the right place.

Advertisement