Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭I says

Grueller wrote: »
    By the bag I assume you mean the white powder. Tis a shame alright. In my day the top shelf of the bar was what gave a kick but now that does nothing for young lads so the powder it is.

Why in the name of jaysus would you want or need something that’s has been a) swallowed and **** out. b)either shoved up someone’s hole or fanny before you snort it up your nose.
    And more than likely cut with all sorts of powders to bulk it up. Any wonder teenagers are getting chopped up over the money these dealers are making. It’s idiots buying sure Tis only €10s worth every weekend it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A friend has kids at a secondry school in west Cavan.
    As rural a setting as there is.
    Their daughter is offered drugs daily, mainly "edibles", gummy bear type sweets infused with drugs.
    The lad ( one of four or five selling, some are in first year!) owes money to somebody or other, and this is how he must repay the debt.
    Scary stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Agree on the alcohol problem. Too easily available. Most big supermarkets sell bottles of wine for as little as 4 euros and cans of beer from 90 cent. Doesn't matter what it tastes like if you're addicted to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    A friend has kids at a secondry school in west Cavan.
    As rural a setting as there is.
    Their daughter is offered drugs daily, mainly "edibles", gummy bear type sweets infused with drugs.
    The lad ( one of four or five selling, some are in first year!) owes money to somebody or other, and this is how he must repay the debt.
    Scary stuff...

Used to be in every town - now in every townland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Used to be in every town - now in every townland.

A farmer buys a new tractor.
    The talk was "he's in the Ra"

A farmer buys a new tractor now.
    The talk is "he's a drug dealer". :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Nothing matches tea in the bog out of glass bottles.

I remember as a young child being sent from the meadow to the local village pub
    to collect porter. The pub filled it into a sweet tin can with a lid, which I took back to the meadow on the handle bars of the bike. The chap giving my father a hand that day at the hay was a martyr for drink.

When you think back on it, it must have been a common occurrence as I can't remember being asked any questions by the publican.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Third death in immediate family since Christmas 😒
    Bit of wet silage on the ground quickly out into perspective.

I’m burning this fcuking suit after this !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »

Condolences to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I remember as a young child being sent from the meadow to the local village pub
    to collect porter. The pub filled it into a sweet tin can with a lid, which I took back to the meadow on the handle bars of the bike. The chap giving my father a hand that day at the hay was a martyr for drink.

When you think back on it, it must have been a common occurrence as I can't remember being asked any questions by the publican.

Imagine sending your child to get drink or fags nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Sorry for your loss Brian RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

whelan2 wrote: »
    Imagine sending your child to get drink or fags nowadays

When I was in secondary school, one of the teachers would send you over to the shop for fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sorry for your loss Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Sorry for your loss

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Sorry to hear that.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Feck, sorry to hear that Brien. Condolences to you and your family...

Sorry for your loss Biran, that's a fair rough ride in a very short spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sorry for your loss Biran, that's a fair rough ride in a very short spell.

Still have Mass cards coming in the door for both mum amd my brother in law, it’s like some sadistic game wondering who they are for before opening them.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Need a bit of advice folks, sold a heifer that was scanned 5 weeks in calf the day before i sold her and got a letter from the mart yesterday saying the buyer approached the mart saying she’s not in calf - she was due to calve next week. Has the buyer a leg to stand on here? Mart manager told them they were a bit late to come and make a complaint and I think the same

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this, left a voicemail with the buyer to call me back over the weekend. Not going to budge on the issue, he's had that heifer for the last 7 months so to be bringing up an issue now when she's a week away from calving is a bit much in my opinion, he would have seen her bulling surely over the last few months at least. If the saga continues I'll keep you all posted, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this, left a voicemail with the buyer to call me back over the weekend. Not going to budge on the issue, he's had that heifer for the last 7 months so to be bringing up an issue now when she's a week away from calving is a bit much in my opinion, he would have seen her bulling surely over the last few months at least. If the saga continues I'll keep you all posted, thanks again!

Proper order

Water John wrote: »
    When I was in secondary school, one of the teachers would send you over to the shop for fags.

We used to have to do the same for the local priest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

We used to have to do the same for the local priest.
    20 Sweet Afton and a bottle of altar wine?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    20 Sweet Afton and a bottle of altar wine?

Not the wine, but you hit the nail on the head with the sweet afton. If his farming brother was near him, he'd be looking 20 major in the same run.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not the wine, but you hit the nail on the head with the sweet afton. If his farming brother was near him, he'd be looking 20 major in the same run.
    Was joking about the wine. :)

Interestingly, Major were originally called Afton Major.

Not your ornery onager

Jim Bolger has put the cat among the pigeons.

Maybe I should have put a request in for molasses looking for a home last year..

Esel wrote: »
    Was joking about the wine. :)

Interestingly, Major were originally called Afton Major.

Must been a split up after that.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Rotten. Industry

Ger Lyons gave an interview on Off the Ball this evening.
    He wouldn't condemn Jim for saying what he said just if what Jim says is true the industry is in serious trouble.

Jim alledges he has names but he can't obviously say them as he'd be brought before the courts.

Basically it seems it's a high profile thing such as was the Lance Armstrong moment in the cycling world.

Cant seem to find any mention of them. Is their name published?

There's no names bar Veterinarian John Hughes from Leighlinbridge who brought in to the country 250kgs of a steroid in 2014.
    Jim Bolger trains not far from leighlinbridge.

None of us will know who's involved till Jim Bolger is able to give names without leaving himself open to litigation.
    Current situation now from all this is every trainer is suspected by the public.

It shouldn't matter whoever is found guilty of such a thing that if guilty then they should have zero involvement with the horse and racing industry. Size of yard or profile should have no bearing on that decision.
    All trainers want is a level playing pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'm sorry for your loss Brian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

None of us will know who's involved till Jim Bolger is able to give names without leaving himself open to litigation.

Mod: As above.......So leave names out of it!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement