Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

kevthegaff wrote: »
    This lockdown is getting boring at this stage

Agree, same for anyone I know. Find im having the odd day where I'm totally fed up with it. Tell ya one thing man, when this Coronavirus thing has passed I'll be taking a lot more holidays and getting out and enjoying myself more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Suckler wrote: »
    Yes and no. It's roughly balancing out now very close to the 50/50 split; no guarantee it'll always come down that even, that's the danger of dog whistle comments.

They do, that's the issue. They take heed but don't question the depth of them.

Your not getting heated, but so many others are, any click of a trump topic shows loads of hate towards him, with some people

Who's getting heated? It's a discussion forum. A contentious vote on the leader of the (self declared ) free world has ramifications for us also. Especially with brexit looming and EU relations/trade deals etc.

Your not getting heated, but so many others are, any click of a trump topic shows loads of hate towards him, with some people Looseing their mind over it.

there is ramifications in every walk of life.

It's just gets monotonous seeing so much hatred from people who would be better off doing something meaningful to change whats annoying them than being keyboard warriors.

I love it. Life is so much more chilled with out rat races, and holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

Jb1989 wrote: »

Thank god its not just me. Happy out tipping away at my own pace around home. There was too much dining out, concerts, hols going on in the first place.

straight wrote: »
    Thank god its not just me. Happy out tipping away at my own pace around home. There was too much dining out, concerts, hols going on in the first place.

I agree with every word u said.

• Advertisement

Found I've slowed down a bit when I'm doing things, I'm saving money and have been working from home since March. But miss going out with friends for a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

NcdJd wrote: »
    But miss going out with friends for a few pints.

This ^^ is by far and away the hardest part I find. Simple chat with the lads. Whatsapp and phone calls are a piss poor replacement

Found I've slowed down a bit when I'm doing things, I'm saving money and have been working from home since March. But miss going out with friends for a few pints.

You'll find new habits or ways of interacting with them in a safe approach if you think about it.

You'll find new habits or ways of interacting with them in a safe approach if you think about it.

I keep in contact with most by phone but as Roosterman says the old fashioned face to face contact there is nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

We've a table quiz of a Saturday night here via Zoom . It started in the first lockdown and stopped as we opened up but is back now.
    Kills a bit of time and is good craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

there is ramifications in every walk of life.

You could apply that to anything then and dismiss any argument?
    It's just gets monotonous seeing so much hatred from people who would be better off doing something meaningful to change whats annoying them than being keyboard warriors.

Keeping yourself abreast of global politics in an ever shrinking economic world is something meaningful. It's important to see identify similar tactics being repeated in our own elections / other nations close to us etc.

Key board warriors indeed; the example I gave earlier of Peter Casey; of those who voted for him after his blatant vote grabbing statements; how many of those voters actually took the issue he 'raised' and followed it through in an appropriate manner to get it furthered if its a cause they so passionately championed...not one percent I'd happily wager.

The internet was a so-called "information age" but disinformation and wanton lies are an ever increasing part our lives whether you (or I) like it or not.

Even look at the tweet by Rebecca Barrett of the National Party she sent to Hazel Chu (Dublin Lord Mayor). Normalisation of racist remarks / Mocking the physically impaired / blatant sexism / bigotry etc. is never an overnight phenomenon; acceptance of Trumps antics and scoffing at them as "he tells it like it is" is how it gets normalised.

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1323982866167013377

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Anything else? Because this isn't really comparable.

This isn't certainly isn't him "stepping way beyond the bounds of his position as president and allow him to carte blanch spout his communist propaganda on any platform that will have him - both nationally and internationally"

You've said we voted in "Irelands biggest communist" (never a member of the Irish communist party so that would null that statement) Had he campaigned on a communist theme (akin to Peter Caseys well timed vote grabber headline) then you might have a point. Had he campaigned on, and continued to, use the presidency to affect a shift our political system over to Communism you (and the journalist) might have a point.

A speech 5 years ago musing about what might have happened isn't comparable. To be critical of capitalism isn't bullying anyone, much as the journalist wants it to be. As you've said yourself "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

All you've done is echo trump fan tactics. I've shown how Peter Casey's comments were nothing short of a vote grabbing dog whistle (eg. build the wall/lock her up/fire Fauci) and just like we see in the states a response of "look what the other guy said/did" is given as some sort of defense?

In a two party race, this is how Trump gets circa half the country voting for him.

That’s just a sample

If you don’t see that Higgins is hard left and is abusing the position of Irish president in expressing his personal views, well then I can’t help that, but it’s a generally accepted point amongst people who don’t bow down to the left wing media establishment that dominate this country

straight wrote: »

Loving it myself I have to say

Although I could do with the marts being open, after that, couldn’t give a damn

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think this one is easier to take than the first one. Although the dark evenings mean you cant get out as much as last time. We still have trainings 4 evening's a week. A lot more businesses are still open this time. Also the best one is kids are at school, a bit of normality

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think this one is easier to take than the first one. Although the dark evenings mean you cant get out as much as last time. We still have trainings 4 evening's a week. A lot more businesses are still open this time. Also the best one is kids are at school, a bit of normality

It’s great the kids are at school.
    The dark evenings in general though are making it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I would normally read & not watch TV or films at all so this time round I'm trying to watch a few things I wouldn't normally go for. Watched the Hundred Foot Journey last night & loved it. Wouldn't normally even think about watching it if I read the description.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Don't miss the pubs, but miss being able to meet someone and just decide to get a mug of coffee and a sandwich or whatever.
    Or just going for the lunch and the luxury of walking away and leaving the plates on the table....
    This thing of going to a petrol station and getting moved straight out the door with a styrofoam box and a plastic fork, and balancing a cup of horrible coffee, is the pits.
    At least motor factors, garages and hardware places are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

I'm afraid between all my friends getting married with kids and all of us moving to different locations, I had already lost the pints with friends thing long before lockdown. We missed it for a while but got used to it. I haven't had a pint since january and I would love 2 or 3 now alright. I've noticed my father is missing the mart and CO-OP stores badly for the chats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

No change here- I’ve school everyday and glad to have it. If crack up at home doing the online thing. Students hate it too.

Trying to keep things going with them. Mask breaks,etc.

We bought a load of wireless speakers so they could listen to a bit of music at breaks etc.

Good thing I find is the money I'm saving. I'm not impulse buying, which i used to do alot as I don't get out to the shops as much. I took out a 7 year personal loan last year and will be probably paying off half of it by the end of the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Panch18 wrote: »
    That’s just a sample

It's not. It's something from 5 years ago, that isn't really relevant in what you've accused him of. You liked the headline so you threw it in. The journalist who wrote it didn't even validate his point, it's a bar stool opinion piece.

If you don’t see that Higgins is hard left and is abusing the position of Irish president in expressing his personal views, well then I can’t help that,

But you can...Just show us examples where he is -
    the biggest communist in the whole country to the position of President whilst we always throw a dear ear to him stepping way beyond the bounds of his position as president and allow him to carte blanch spout his communist propoganda on any platform that will have him - both nationally and internationally

Michael D was always "a leftie", granted, but if he's acting like you've accused him of above, it would be plain to see and I'd join you happily in saying it's wrong.

Again, you've proven my point; I commented on how Peter Casey easily and quickly conned a load of people in to voting for him but you contend that its a valid argument to say MDH is worse because of "communism". You're bandying about phrases and accusations you don't really understand to justify latching on to off the cuff remarks from a candidate desperate to get votes. It's quite pathetic.
    but it’s a generally accepted point amongst people who don’t bow down to the left wing media establishment that dominate this country

That whole line is meaningless. It's just throwing sh1te at a wall.

Edit: maybe this should be moved over to the election thread; Not everyone wants to wade through the US election in chitchat?

You could apply that to anything then and dismiss any argument?

Keeping yourself abreast of global politics in an ever shrinking economic world is something meaningful. It's important to see identify similar tactics being repeated in our own elections / other nations close to us etc.

Key board warriors indeed; the example I gave earlier of Peter Casey; of those who voted for him after his blatant vote grabbing statements; how many of those voters actually took the issue he 'raised' and followed it through in an appropriate manner to get it furthered if its a cause they so passionately championed...not one percent I'd happily wager.

The internet was a so-called "information age" but disinformation and wanton lies are an ever increasing part our lives whether you (or I) like it or not.

Even look at the tweet by Rebecca Barrett of the National Party she sent to Hazel Chu (Dublin Lord Mayor). Normalisation of racist remarks / Mocking the physically impaired / blatant sexism / bigotry etc. is never an overnight phenomenon; acceptance of Trumps antics and scoffing at them as "he tells it like it is" is how it gets normalised.

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1323982866167013377

All noted there, as you say any argument can be dismissed, so people getting heated is pointless.

Again, you've proven my point; I commented on how Peter Casey easily and quickly conned a load of people in to voting for him but you contend that its a valid argument to say MDH is worse because of "communism". You're bandying about phrases and accusations you don't really understand to justify latching on to off the cuff remarks from a candidate desperate to get votes. It's quite pathetic.

I never said anything about Peter casey or what he said or didn't say in my original post. I said it was far more worrying Irish people felt it ok to accept and vote for a communist as President of this country. So YES i am saying it is far more worrying we would elect such a person as opposed to some off the cuff remark from a political nobody being taken and people running with it. And Yes i stand by that statement. And its not just Higgins - we have Boyd Barret and his crew, Paul Murphy and his band of merry followers. Never mind that the third biggest party in the country are at best strong communist sympathisers with undeniable links to its own private army

And you look at some no mark guy making an off the cuff remark that was ran with by the media to destroy him but it backfired??

And then you have the cheek to call me pathetic - Open your eyes

Here is my original quote for the record - no mention of Casey or anything that he said
    More worrying still for Ireland is that we elected the biggest communist in the whole country to the position of President whilst we always throw a deaf ear to him stepping way beyond the bounds of his position as president and allow him to carte blanch spout his communist propaganda on any platform that will have him - both nationally and internationally

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Drove into my teagasc office with my soil samples and realised as I was parking I forgot the sampler. Had to drive home and get it. I'm getting old.

and just on our beloved Commrade President Higgins

1 He described Fidel Castro as a "Giant among Global leaders" when he was the first head of state in the world to offer condolences upon his death - you should have a read of that eulogy if you are in any doubt as to where his beliefs lie

2 Giving interviews to communist newspapers where he openly discuses his thought on government policy and what they should and shouldn't do - having absolutely no regard for the fact that his position as president is supposed to be apolitical but lapping up the opportunity to speak to a communist newpaper

3 he has a personal relationship with and is a known huge admirer of Nicaragua's hard line president Daniel Ortega

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ah, if you're not Left Wing when you're young, you have no heart.
    If you're not Right Wing when you're older, you have no brain..

Having Poets in positions of authority is a notoriously risky business....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Talking of which - did anyone see the new Zig and Zag Fantasy episode staring Higgins?

https://vimeo.com/262242640

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

whelan2 wrote: »
    Drove into my teagasc office with my soil samples and realised as I was parking I forgot the sampler. Had to drive home and get it. I'm getting old.

Sure the baby that was born yesterday is getting older ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Luckily the president of Ireland has no authority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

ganmo wrote: »
    Luckily the president of Ireland has no authority

The repeal the seal campaigners might argue the toss there

Advertisement