Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

None of us will know who's involved till Jim Bolger is able to give names without leaving himself open to litigation.
    Current situation now from all this is every trainer is suspected by the public.

It shouldn't matter whoever is found guilty of such a thing that if guilty then they should have zero involvement with the horse and racing industry. Size of yard or profile should have no bearing on that decision.
    All trainers want is a level playing pitch.
    If you were a trainer not using, you would come out to back him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

kevthegaff wrote: »

Apparently that vet had enough imported to administer 62,500 doses. Thats a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Odelay

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Apparently that vet had enough imported to administer 62,500 doses. Thats a lot!!

It it takes 14 days of daily dosing before performance starts to improve. And then they need it constantly after that. It’s not just a matter of one dose before a race you’re left with enough to do 62,499 more horses.
    In reality there was probably enough for 3000 horses. A fair amount of that could have gone into equestrian events other than racing that may not have the deep pockets for testing, but owners/riders may be open to any means to get an improvement from an underperforming animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That was the trainer on Off the Ball
    ..intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

1000 litres of green €701

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

whelan2 wrote: »

I paid 97.4 c a litre for green from a pump in Kilrush. Nearly broke my heart handing that kind of money over. Luckily it was only 20 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

81 cent/litre at the pumps of Jones Oils in Cavan town.

ABlur wrote: »
    I paid 97.4 c a litre for green from a pump in Kilrush. Nearly broke my heart handing that kind of money over. Luckily it was only 20 litres.

They are making a ball on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Quick question, how long do ye leave a cow after the water bag bursts?

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Quick question, how long do ye leave a cow after the water bag bursts?

If she's doing nothing probably an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

2000lts €1280

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

€374 for 500L

€100 to fill the jeep again:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    €374 for 500L

€100 to fill the jeep again:(

I used to put 50 euro into the jeep, now it wouldn't fill it but 80 euro is now doing the same job. Doing alot more driving now too

Current EPA report out.

https://twitter.com/ElaineMcgoff/status/1404825631658020869?s=20

Key findings. The highest nitrate release rivers are the Barrow and Slaney.
    These two also have the highest concentration of tilled soil in the country.
    These areas also have the lowest soil carbon in the country. Till your soil you oxidize your soil carbon to carbon dioxide which releases nitrogen to move in the soil.
    Which is what happened with the 2018 drought and soil carbon oxidation from the air cracking into the soil and nitrate release.
    Report found that areas with high livestock stocking rates on which they called heavy soil didn't show high nitrate release to waterways.
    My guess it'll be ten years before the terminology of heavy and free draining soil will be changed to carbon rich and carbon poor soil.
    Anyways here we are still in 2021.

Report above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Current EPA report out.

These areas also have the lowest soil carbon in the country. Till your soil you oxidize your soil carbon to carbon dioxide which releases nitrogen to move in the soil.
    Which is what happened with the 2018 drought and soil carbon oxidation from the air cracking into the soil and nitrate release.
    Report found that areas with high livestock stocking rates on which they called heavy soil didn't show high nitrate release to waterways.
    My guess it'll be ten years before the terminology of heavy and free draining soil will be changed to carbon rich and carbon poor soil.

Report above.
    Wheres the red spot in Tipp?

You'll probably find it here when it updates.
    https://gis.epa.ie/EPAMaps/

The black boundary lines I reckon are river catchment boundaries, not county boundaries. It's either the Nenagh river, or Ollatrim river. Downstream from Templederry would be my guess.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Would anyone have any idea as to what were the original back wheels on a MF165?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would anyone have any idea as to what were the original back wheels on a MF165?
    Thanks.

Fairly sure it was a choice between 13.6 R36 or 16.9 R30.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Current EPA report out.

Report above.

Disappointing to see the Slaney under that kind of pressure - especially for a spate river, the Lee appears to have similar issues. Not surprised at the figures for the Barrow, a slow moving river that flows threw an intensively farmed catchment. Pleased to see things are better west of the Shannon with the quality of rivers like the Robe(Mayo) improving after a grim period during the 80's and early 90's.

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Disappointing to see the Slaney under that kind of pressure - especially for a spate river, the Lee appears to have similar issues. Not surprised at the figures for the Barrow, a slow moving river that flows threw an intensively farmed catchment. Pleased to see things are better west of the Shannon with the quality of rivers like the Robe(Mayo) improving after a grim period during the 80's and early 90's.

If you look back at the data for the Slaney on the report it was always the highest.
    I think the Barrow just pipped it in 2018.

We'll have to get serious and truthful on the commentary. You can have organic farmed veg soil leaching lots of nitrogen and conventional livestock soil leaching less nitrogen.
    I've yet to see such a statement made by an taisce (and I'm singling them out because of their anti livestock agenda) who claim their sole concern is water quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Would I be absolutely cruel to a silage trailer to use it for the odd load of gravel and drainage stone? See the odd good value 18ft silage trailer available. Looking for a dump trailer for drawing fermented silage during the winter and it’s impossible obviously to find a second hand one. Like everyone else in the country haha I’m struggling to justify spending 20k on a new trailer only for it to sit Idle 340 days off the year. This year will be a once off for the winter.

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Would I be absolutely cruel to a silage trailer to use it for the odd load of gravel and drainage stone? See the odd good value 18ft silage trailer available. Looking for a dump trailer for drawing fermented silage during the winter and it’s impossible obviously to find a second hand one. Like everyone else in the country haha I’m struggling to justify spending 20k on a new trailer only for it to sit Idle 340 days off the year. This year will be a once off for the winter.

I've seen it done with a Broughan. Just make sure it has a hardox floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Odelay

If it’s only the odd load of stone, why not just get it delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

Depends on how much you put into it, 12 ton should be no bother. Some lads like to get their money's worth when at the quarry n load up. Just the chassis or the rams don't appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Odelay wrote: »
    If it’s only the odd load of stone, why not just get it delivered?

Very Fair point. Just assessing our options tbh. Just said I’d give context as to what I wanted out of it. Be handy to be able to run for 7/8 ton the minute you want it instead of getting it delivered. Similarly if we were doing a bit of land drainage and drawing 200 ton you’d do anything to keep costs down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭DBK1

Very Fair point. Just assessing our options tbh. Just said I’d give context as to what I wanted out of it. Be handy to be able to run for 7/8 ton the minute you want it instead of getting it delivered. Similarly if we were doing a bit of land drainage and drawing 200 ton you’d do anything to keep costs down
    The biggest issue would not be carrying the weight, provided you’re only bringing reasonable loads, but the actual loading. You go to a quarry and you’ve a 30 ton shovel carrying 8 or 10 ton in the bucket to load you. It’s a long way down from the top of a silage trailer before it hits the floor compared to the low sides on a dump trailer. The floor and sides of the silage trailer then wouldn’t be built to anywhere near the same strength as a dump trailer so that’s where the damage would be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭White Clover

After a few loads of stone, it'd only be fit for Hammond Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there much difference in price between getting it delivered and collecting it yourself?

• Advertisement

Looking at buying a microscope in the US, if I go ahead what sort of charges should I expect to pay above and beyond the purchase price and shipping?

Advertisement