Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

tanko wrote: »
    Is there much difference in price between getting it delivered and collecting it yourself?

Couldn't honestly tell you tbh. Not a whole pile I would imagine. Very near quarry here so we'd run for it very quickly if we needed it. Then again when are you ever in that much of a panic for stone. I suppose this is all rhethorical enough. Dump trailer is number one choice but must make a few phone calls and suss out whats available. Thanks all so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Need to put tyres on the 8x4 builders trailer 175/70/R14
    Would car tyres do or would van tyres be better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Van tyres are 8 ply afaik. Cars I think are only 4. Go van.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭enricoh

Grueller wrote: »
    Van tyres are 8 ply afaik. Cars I think are only 4. Go van.

I've a single axle 8x4 on car tyres, I'd get 1/2 ton of batch mix the odd time but if the lad tips in too much it can be squeaky bum time driving back with it.
    Van tyres would be probably only e10-15 extra in r14, go van

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Van tyres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Twin axle trailer would do fine on car tyres, single axle 8*4 I’d agree with others that van tyres might be a good investment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Looking at buying a microscope in the US, if I go ahead what sort of charges should I expect to pay above and beyond the purchase price and shipping?

I recently paid €70 to Fed-ex for customs on a shipment valued at €190.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Van tyres they have different load ratings. You could try a few dismantlers they might have a part worn set off a scrapped van, R14 could be hard to get though.

Slava Ukrainii

greysides wrote: »
    I recently paid €70 to Fed-ex for customs on a shipment valued at €190.

Jesus, I was thinking +23% tops. Do you know how the charges were broken down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Jesus, I was thinking +23% tops. Do you know how the charges were broken down?

Yeah

Vat at 23%
    Customs at 13%
    Handling fee by courier anywhere between 5 and 20 euro depending on which one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

556332.jpg
    Are barrels like these full of concrete worth anything?
    I use this on the power box as a counterweight for the front loader.Have about 10 of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

556332.jpg
    Are barrels like these full of concrete worth anything?
    I use this on the power box as a counterweight for the front loader.Have about 10 of them .

May not be worth much, but fire it up on donedeal. Ya'd be surprised what lads would pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Happy fathers day to all the daddies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Happy fathers day to all the daddies

I was in church this morning and we all got doughnuts during the sermon for being a father.
    In my usual reverence I said (out loud) on recieving mine ''I'm not a father...... well not that I know of anyway'' .Some of the ould ones nearly got sick laughing

Heading to Baysports in Athlone to meet up with some friends so kids can have some crack.
    It’s a strange one, eldest is away off on a day trip to Howth with her boyfriend. Time rolls on folks, she’s away to college in September. From children to young adults in the blink of an eye.

Nice to see the squeaky wheel rewilders in a huff due to NPWS "saving" a thought to be extinct breed of sheep, the Cladior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Nice to see the squeaky wheel rewilders in a huff due to NPWS "saving" a thought to be extinct breed of sheep, the Cladior.

Really just shows no matter what farmers do to "combat" climate change and all that encompasses it, short of just leaving farms fallow and walking of the land it will never be good enough, of course hedges on the roads used for their sunday drives in their electric cars will still need to be kept cut back,

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Really just shows no matter what farmers do to "combat" climate change and all that encompasses it, short of just leaving farms fallow and walking of the land it will never be good enough, of course hedges on the roads used for their sunday drives in their electric cars will still need to be kept cut back,

It's funny that currently the NPWS is overseen by the greens and a green minister had an event with these sheep too :D

Some of the rewilders will need a good vet to untwist their knickers after it.

A positive I've seen on social media is how more ordinary folk are seeing what they see as a good news story being dumped on by some fundamentalists, and they're being vocal as well.

With advances in knowledge and management their pet project time has gone before it ever arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well put Herdquitter, the Saoirse McHugh wing of green extremism has little support and are best placed on the ignore list. That doesn't negate our need to tackle climate change, using the best scientific evidence to dictate practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Took a drive up today to see the Borris Viaduct.

Well I've seen it before. I've passed by it a gazillion times in my lifetime. But today was the first day I walked across it.
    Really nice job done on it and appropriately in these times. Not sure how some neighbours like all these tourists looking into their back yards now though.:p
    A nice addition and amenity to Borris.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Well put Herdquitter, the Saoirse McHugh wing of green extremism has little support and are best placed on the ignore list. That doesn't negate our need to tackle climate change, using the best scientific evidence to dictate practice.

There are certainly practices out there that can reverse climate change. Though Ag will not look the same if they're adopted. Best scientific evidence is a phrase I would be wary of ;)

When McHugh started to be noticed she was making some interesting points. But immediately she got any media coverage she really accelerated the extremist green views. She’s verging on the nut job levels now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There are certainly practices out there that can reverse climate change. Though Ag will not look the same if they're adopted. Best scientific evidence is a phrase I would be wary of ;)

Ag will change but we must steer the scientific discussion and pull the research in our favour into the mainstream. Far better than driving tractors up and down the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ag will change but we must steer the scientific discussion and pull the research in our favour into the mainstream. Far better than driving tractors up and down the streets.

Well, negotiation isn't working very well at the moment.
    It seems we're going to be charged for carbon produced but not credited for carbon sequestered.
    Our public service desk drivers seem to be clueless about it and, what's worse, they don't even care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

_Brian wrote: »
    Heading to Baysports in Athlone to meet up with some friends so kids can have some crack.
    It’s a strange one, eldest is away off on a day trip to Howth with her boyfriend. Time rolls on folks, she’s away to college in September. From children to young adults in the blink of an eye.

Probably one of the best posts was a guy asking on the forum about having to drop his daughter everywhere, Whelan replied get her a boyfriend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Young lad got a bad doing off the end of a cut cable tie while in goals today . Cut about 8 inches long on his arm. Cable ties holding nets on posts. This has happened before but not as bad as today. Cable ties would be better not cut as the ends are very sharp.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Young lad got a bad doing off the end of a cut cable tie while in goals today . Cut about 8 inches long on his arm. Cable ties holding nets on posts. This has happened before but not as bad as today. Cable ties would be better not cut as the ends are very sharp.

The ends on a badly cut cable tie are as sharp as a knife. I've often gotten a prod off of one that was used to hang a pedigree cert or similar on the gate of a pen at work. They should be either left long or the end cut off flush with the mechanism so as not to leave anything sharp protruding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭orm0nd

deadly yokes

sharp stanley knife and cut flush or else leave long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

It's a good point and not one I'd have thought about.
    My youngest lad plays in goals too. He's a footballer, but lazy as sin. He figures goalkeeper is a handy number for him. He's in for a rude awakening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

orm0nd wrote: »
    deadly yokes

sharp stanley knife and cut flush or else leave long

This is the ideal tool for cutting cable ties. It cuts them flush with the end of the tie.

https://www.idavid.be/lindstrom-diagonal-cutters-sweden-8160.html

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement