Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

Water John wrote: »
    Ag will change but we must steer the scientific discussion and pull the research in our favour into the mainstream. Far better than driving tractors up and down the streets.

I sold our tractor, so that's about where I stand on that issue.

On farm demonstrations are where the other part is at. There's enough evidence of practices which work in existence.

But, of course, That won't work here.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Very serious drought conditions in Western America and the Canadian plains.

Worst year so far in 130 years and studying of natural records suggest up there with anything in a 1000 years.

Fellas saying that they haven't had enough rain to measure since 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's a good point and not one I'd have thought about.
    My youngest lad plays in goals too. He's a footballer, but lazy as sin. He figures goalkeeper is a handy number for him. He's in for a rude awakening!

Have seen some of the nets secured with plastic hook type things, string or twine would be safer than the cable ties

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Danzy wrote: »

Worst year so far in 130 years and studying of natural records suggest up there with anything in a 1000 years.

Hadn’t realised it was that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Man made changes in forest cover globally has to have an impact on climate not just there but downstream weather systems thousands of miles away.

Where we'll end up is anyone's guess.

Little consolation saying plant a few acres here when thousands of acres elsewhere on the globe are being bulldozed for agriculture and drying up the global climate. We're all in the one greenhouse.

The tropics need to stay the tropics with wet rainforest. Not bare tilled savannah with a broken dry soil heating up the air above it with no moisture.

Edit: weather channel clip to go with post.

https://youtu.be/v4IYKw4IPy4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was watching "Our Wyoming Life" on youtube the other day and the price of hay has gone from $110 to $185 a round bale before delivery charges.
    https://youtu.be/jDcIO73RfRI

That's my good deed for the day.

Caught a pigeon that was walking around the yard. Had two rings.
    Clearly a bit exhausted. The cats and dog would have him if I didn't.
    Put the number on the Irish pigeon website and it turns from a call back its a carlow pigeon that was let off in Cornwall.

Had a previous pigeon here with the same story and it was let off in the south of England going to Belfast. Eventually after it got it's strength back it made its own way back to Belfast.

Carlow pigeon owner will be collecting today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Put the number on the Irish pigeon website and it turns from a call back its a carlow pigeon that was let off in Cornwall.

Had a previous pigeon here with the same story and it was let off in the south of England going to Belfast. Eventually after it got it's strength back it made its own way back to Belfast.

We'd always just leave them alone, they'd usually head off themselves

wrangler wrote: »
    We'd always just leave them alone, they'd usually head off themselves

Ah this lad wouldn't. He was around the parlour yesterday evening and walking down at the calf shed this morning.
    No offer to fly. Looking for human attention.
    If you can catch them in the open like that they want to be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

They usually just kill them as if they can’t get home they’re not much use. Unless there’s a reprieve for almost home.

• Advertisement

They usually just kill them as if they can’t get home they’re not much use. Unless there’s a reprieve for almost home.

A lot of the time it's not enough conditioning before a big race. Very same as human athletes.
    Uncle had pigeons and every weekend was getting pigeons further and further away from home before a big race to build up the mileage.
    Cases like today there's usually some cause or catastrophic failure and seemingly very few from that race made it back.

The uncle used to fancy pheasant for dinner. Not sure if pigeon was ever served. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Was it the general's pigeon?:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Had a painting attached so could have been.

See NZ are testing the sporting world by including a trans athlete in their women’s weightlifting team.

I don’t know,

I’m happy to see this individual as a woman, I mean I’ve no right to say they aren’t or are amd in fairness I don’t care either what people want to be called.

But it seems to create an advantage via the physical characteristics of the male body over the female body in this specific scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

blue5000 wrote: »

The general would be away with it if he was still alive. No need to be holding his hand in front of his face. A baseball cap, sunglasses and a mask and he be incognito

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Serious droughts are nothing new in the US - during the early 17th century the early English colonies on the East coast nearly failed due to a drought that had started several years before the first settlers arrived, it was only by adopting native techniques of cultivation that the a handful of farms survived. Also a major drought about 1500 years ago in and around modern day New Mexico ended a major native civilization akin to the Aztecs!!

_Brian wrote: »
    See NZ are testing the sporting world by including a trans athlete in their women’s weightlifting team.

I don’t know,

I’m happy to see this individual as a woman, I mean I’ve no right to say they aren’t or are amd in fairness I don’t care either what people want to be called.

But it seems to create an advantage via the physical characteristics of the male body over the female body in this specific scenario.

I'll go with the pawn stars gender meme, best I can do is 2. It's patently unfair in sport, and zero surprise this has come from NZ govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I release my neighbours pigeons from work to train them. Training worked out well.
    First race, lost all bar 2. Second race. All bar 3.

He was saying there are so many falcons around now that racing will be gone soon.

He started training young ones and yesterday brought them 15 miles away and of the 20 he released, only 3 came back. An unexpected down power had scatters then.

He’d be as disheartened as we would be with if a calf or cow died.

I release my neighbours pigeons from work to train them. Training worked out well.
    First race, lost all bar 2. Second race. All bar 3.

He was saying there are so many falcons around now that racing will be gone soon.

He started training young ones and yesterday brought them 15 miles away and of the 20 he released, only 3 came back. An unexpected down power had scatters then.

He’d be as disheartened as we would be with if a calf or cow died.
    Years ago my Dad used to be travelling all over the Country to different building sites that he had work going on in. One of the guys that worked for Dad father used to breed and race pigeons. Every now and then the father would arrive to my parents house in the early hours of the morning with a wicker basket full of racing pigeons so that Dad could carry them in the car to Donegal, Cork, Kerry etc and release them. There were no mobile phones in those days so Dad would record the time and place when he let them go and phone the guys father when he got to a landline to let him know. Most of the time the birds were back in their loft before Dad got a chance to make the call.

I meant to wish ye all a happy Summer Solstice earlier this morning but forgot.

So happy Summer Solstice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Base price wrote: »
    I meant to wish ye all a happy Summer Solstice earlier this morning but forgot.

So happy Summer Solstice :)

We had a bit of a bonfire - it was only a few bushes and things but it was a bit of excitement for the kids... something different anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We had a bit of a bonfire - it was only a few bushes and things but it was a bit of excitement for the kids... something different anyways :)

2 days early :D

I only heard of St. John's fires (23rd June) a few years ago after reading a comment here of F&F. It's not a tradition I was aware of. We always light the bonfire on the night of the Solstice so I suppose we must be proper pagans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

We have no tradition of lighting bonfires for either night around these parts. If you go a bit north, I think it’s the solstice they light the fires on, rather than the 23rd, must ask...

What’s the fire on the 23rd about?

No history of bonfires round here in west Cavan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Suckler

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Serious droughts are nothing new in the US - during the early 17th century the early English colonies on the East coast nearly failed due to a drought that had started several years before the first settlers arrived, it was only by adopting native techniques of cultivation that the a handful of farms survived. Also a major drought about 1500 years ago in and around modern day New Mexico ended a major native civilization akin to the Aztecs!!

The commercial licensing of water wells and the destruction of aquifers by the like of Nestle in some places is beyond belief at times. Plenty of states/counties have restrictions on water butts and the collection of rainwater as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

just checked the cows and calves there month old bull calf dead in the middle of the field, f*ck it anyway off a heifer I bought and she was a quiet as a lamb

I noticed that a few of the younger ones were suffering from the heat yesterday so moved them to a paddock with shade yesterday, checked him last night and he was fine and was flying it.

Done for blackleg, always something

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Daughter did the driver theory test online today, over a year after she first applied for it. Very stressful. The site kept crashing. Took over 2 hours and she had to go to work. She got 40 out of 40 eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Dozer1 wrote: »
    just checked the cows and calves there month old bull calf dead in the middle of the field, f*ck it anyway off a heifer I bought and she was a quiet as a lamb

I noticed that a few of the younger ones were suffering from the heat yesterday so moved them to a paddock with shade yesterday, checked him last night and he was fine and was flying it.
    Done for blackleg, always something

Oh that's fairly sickening, it could be something to do with the cold nights too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement