Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Oh that's fairly sickening, it could be something to do with the cold nights too.

We were moving our sucklers about a month ago and one of the calves just dropped in front of us. A few kicks and she was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Daughter did the driver theory test online today, over a year after she first applied for it. Very stressful. The site kept crashing. Took over 2 hours and she had to go to work. She got 40 out of 40 eventually.

I did it on 2019 to get the BE provisional and found it a silly test anyway, I’d say it’s of little real world benifet at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

Should do an article on myself and the neighbour.
    We joint own a landroller and a calf crate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Oh that's fairly sickening, it could be something to do with the cold nights too.

Last night was the coldest June night in the UK for 10 years(-2c in Scotland) - following the coldest April/May combo for 80years!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

First bit of silage done. 61 bales- happy with that as crop was slow coming. All day drawing. About 1.5km round trip. Was enjoyable just tipping away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Am finding an awful lot of hogweed coming this year...
    Few fields have a good bit, and even saw some coming up in the lawn...

Anyone else see the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭DBK1

Should do an article on myself and the neighbour.
    We joint own a landroller and a calf crate. :D
    Bale trailer, tipping trailer, slurry tank, agitator and stake pounder owned between myself and a neighbour here. Works well for us and it’s definitely a lot more machinery than either of us would have ever bought on our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

Am finding an awful lot of hogweed coming this year...
    Few fields have a good bit, and even saw some coming up in the lawn...

Anyone else see the same?

Yep seeing lots of it, in the lawn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Odelay wrote: »
    Yep seeing lots of it, in the lawn too.

Any idea why?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Last night was the coldest June night in the UK for 10 years(-2c in Scotland) - following the coldest April/May combo for 80years!!:eek:
    Youngest moved to the Highlands at the end of April and he was saying how much colder it is over there, everything is behind including the fishing (sea and fresh water) than what he is used too. He used to live in Galway so is used to the rain which they also have plenty of.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Youngest moved to the Highlands at the end of April and he was saying how much colder it is over there, everything is behind including the fishing (sea and fresh water) than what he is used too. He used to live in Galway so is used to the rain which they also have plenty of.

That will be a nice area to have family in so you can visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Base price wrote: »
    I only heard of St. John's fires (23rd June) a few years ago after reading a comment here of F&F. It's not a tradition I was aware of. We always light the bonfire on the night of the Solstice so I suppose we must be proper pagans :)

Is it today or tomorrow that the weather for the next 40 days is supposed to be the same as. If it a good dry day you will have 40 days of dry weather, if it's wet you will have wet weather for the 40 days

Slava Ukrainii

Is it today or tomorrow that the weather for the next 40 days is supposed to be the same as. If it a good dry day you will have 40 days of dry weather, if it's wet you will have wet weather for the 40 days

Is that St Swithens day ?
    Google tells me 15th July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

That's St swithins, on July 15th I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Suckler

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-5465/28499916

Just having a look through donedeal and spotted this - Can anyone enlighten me as to what its for??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Manually harvesting cauliflower or brocolli.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Suckler wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-5465/28499916

Just having a look through donedeal and spotted this - Can anyone enlighten me as to what its for??

for veggies like cauliflower/ cabbage etc, Workers walk in the drills ahead of the booms and cut the cauliflowers and put them in the bowls and it cnveys them to a trailer behind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkjSCrOW6WI

Water John wrote: »
    Manually harvesting cauliflower or brocolli.
    wrangler wrote: »
    for veggies like cauliflower/ cabbage etc, Workers walk in the drills ahead of the booms and cut the cauliflowers and put them in the bowls and it cnveys them to a trailer behind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkjSCrOW6WI

Every day's a school day, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Suckler wrote: »
    Every day's a school day, cheers!

Did you think they for catching the peeing and faeces of animals to lower the emissions?

Water John wrote: »
    Did you think they for catching the peeing and faeces of animals to lower the emissions?

Yes. I'd just read this and thought it was a contraption to get everyone on the same team.
    https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/dear-farmer-were-on-your-side-climate-activists-go-to-bat-for-farming-40573483.html

• Advertisement

Anyone see the report on the Amazon warehouse on the U.K.

Targets to destroy 130k items a week, returns etc.

Video showed laptops and power tools in boxes scanned and marked for destruction.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-destroys-destroy-items-returned-week-brand-new-itv-2021-6

Amazon seems out of control now, it’s selling so much it’s not worth bothering with the detail of items.

Month ago I ordered two items, €10 and €45, package arrived with one item but should have contained both. I opened a complaint, it was dealt with by an AI chat bot who refunded me for both items straight out.

Have another €30 item that was due to be delivered today, it was already 3 days late, it didn’t come but I’ll get an automatic refund from midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

_Brian wrote: »
    Anyone see the report on the Amazon warehouse on the U.K.

Targets to destroy 130k items a week, returns etc.

Video showed laptops and power tools in boxes scanned and marked for destruction.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-destroys-destroy-items-returned-week-brand-new-itv-2021-6

Amazon seems out of control now, it’s selling so much it’s not worth bothering with the detail of items.

Month ago I ordered two items, €10 and €45, package arrived with one item but should have contained both. I opened a complaint, it was dealt with by an AI chat bot who refunded me for both items straight out.

Have another €30 item that was due to be delivered today, it was already 3 days late, it didn’t come but I’ll get an automatic refund from midnight.

We bought a soup maker a while back and it never came. Opened a claim and they sent another one it never came. Got a refund eventually, 8 weeks later 5 came together.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

dzer2 wrote: »
    We bought a soup maker a while back and it never came. Opened a claim and they sent another one it never came. Got a refund eventually, 8 weeks later 5 came together.

I buy a fair amount of stuff off Amazon mostly down to the convenience of it and the variety of items that can be purchased. There delivery terms are usually spot on in my experience and any issues are resolved promptly and satisfactorily. I'd buy a lot of books off it, a large proportion would be second hand editions that may be out of print or otherwise rare. I couldn't fault it tbh and the books are usually immaculate off most seller's. I'd usually have something on order at small money.

Amazon is very handy for sending gifts to people. Often order small things for my nieces and nephews as a surprise. They love getting something from the postman

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Cionn80

whelan2 wrote: »
    Amazon is very handy for sending gifts to people. Often order small things for my nieces and nephews as a surprise. They love getting something from the postman

Can we still order as normal. I used to buy a good bit but I stopped after the 1st January because of Brexit

There's a lot of stuff can't be delivered to Ireland anymore. What we buy is just small stuff. Delivered by amazon prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I think the customs/VAT threshold goes on July 1st. Anything from UK would be more expensive then. I've moved to any of the other Amazon sites (.es, .it, .fr, .de) and work away from there. Same logins and all work as on the .co.uk one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

jeeez am I the only one that never bought from Amazon and only buys local?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You got in ahead of me as I was going to post the same. I've only ever bought online from Irish companies - maybe we are the fools :(

• Advertisement

Buy local too. Amazon is handy for some stuff especially in the pandemic. Daughter uses specific skincare stuff , handy to get it delivered. Used it a good bit at Christmas when it wasn't safe to shop in shop locally.

Advertisement