Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭emaherx

Odelay wrote: »
    jeeez am I the only one that never bought from Amazon and only buys local?

A lot of what I buy on Amazon I either can't find from local sites or the local sites don't give prices just quotation forms that often never get replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    You got in ahead of me as I was going to post the same. I've only ever bought online from Irish companies - maybe we are the fools :(

Not everything is available locally or from Irish stores, particularly at present stocks are terribly low.

Amd if I’m being gouged on price I’ll not let that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭DBK1

You got in ahead of me as I was going to post the same. I've only ever bought online from Irish companies - maybe we are the fools :(
    I was starting to think I was the only one.

Although I could be classed as a bit of an outlier, I don’t buy anything online. I’m not on Facebook, Instagram etc. I don’t watch any of the YouTube videos everyone does be on about.

My only online profile is here on Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Jb1989

DBK1 wrote: »
    I was starting to think I was the only one.

Although I could be classed as a bit of an outlier, I don’t buy anything online. I’m not on Facebook, Instagram etc. I don’t watch any of the YouTube videos everyone does be on about.

My only online profile is here on Boards!

Similar here, and if your a private sort of person, then a boards.ie account is more than sufficient.
    I do wonder, will the personal stuff, lots of people, put up on social media, ever come back to haunt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Never bought from Amazon, but probably buy something from eBay once or twice a month.
    99% of it is from the UK, and that only really works because I get it sent to a NI address.
    Almost all sellers offer "free delivery" within the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Similar here, and if your a private sort of person, then a boards.ie account is more than sufficient.
    I do wonder, will the personal stuff, lots of people, put up on social media, ever come back to haunt them.

It can. It will. It has.

Be careful out there folks.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My Netflix account was hacked. We very very rarely use it. I was looking in my junk email folder this morning and there was a good few emails changing password, email address and buying stuff. Rarely check my spam folder. I went on to livechat at 6am. Got it sorted, money refunded and a free couple of months subscription . The girl just said there's an awful lot of it going on atm

whelan2 wrote: »
    My Netflix account was hacked. We very very rarely use it. I was looking in my junk email folder this morning and there was a good few emails changing password, email address and buying stuff. Rarely check my spam folder. I went on to livechat at 6am. Got it sorted, money refunded and a free couple of months subscription . The girl just said there's an awful lot of it going on atm

What can they buy with a hacked Netflix account?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Getting phonecalls the last few days from irish mobile numbers. Pre recorded computer messages.

_Brian wrote: »
    What can they buy with a hacked Netflix account?

Twin screen viewing, different films...

• Advertisement

straight wrote: »
    Getting phonecalls the last few days from irish mobile numbers. Pre recorded computer messages.

Coming from landlines now too

I rarely ever answer numbers I don’t recognise anyway, just let them on to voicemail. Answered one last week as I was driving and didn’t see the number.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

straight wrote: »

There's a thread here, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058170123

It used to be Tunisia, then UK numbers now Irish mobile numbers. I think 3, vodafone etc. will have to do something about it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

blue5000 wrote: »
    There's a thread here, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058170123

It used to be Tunisia, then UK numbers now Irish mobile numbers. I think 3, vodafone etc. will have to do something about it.
    OH got 11 calls from different Irish mobile numbers between Monday and yesterday. They were all pre recorded messages with an american accent. They use the term PPS number which afaik we only use that term in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

OH got 11 calls from different Irish mobile numbers between Monday and yesterday. They were all pre recorded messages with an american accent. They use the term PPS number which afaik we only use that term in Ireland.

I haven't had any but OH has and she just blocks them as they come up, at least she doesn't have to deal with them more than once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

wrangler wrote: »
    I haven't had any but OH has and she just blocks them as they come up, at least she doesn't have to deal with them more than once

I've had a few but if the mobile number is in the full international format eg 353 088 123456 I just block it. Mobile calls from genuine Irish numbers would just show 088 123456 - on my phone anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭enricoh

I think all they want is your pps for the covid pup payment. Every one they get is worth e350 a week to them, it'd go a long way in Tunisia!
    I'd say the amount of money getting scammed is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Then there's the BOI text message that an unauthorized payment has been made.

I even got a blocked number yesterday.
    Didn't answer. If they are genuine they'll explain themselves by text or voice message.
    (Probably giving the scammers ideas now for the call back). :rolleyes:

Every day there's a scam caller.

Rosahane wrote: »
    I've had a few but if the mobile number is in the full international format eg 353 088 123456 I just block it. Mobile calls from genuine Irish numbers would just show 088 123456 - on my phone anyway!

You'll get the 049 scammers that you think are from Cavan.

Although..

You'll get the 049 scammers that you think are from Cavan.

Although..

Unless they’re looking for a good deal on something you’ll know it’s a scam for sure.

Oh rang me the other day that he got a text from aib about suspicious activity on our account . We don't bank with aib

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

No same here, I never would support those kinds of businesses either, a cause of a lot of what's wrong with the world and destroying it too.
    I'd buy occasionally off Irish online sites, but I don't buy much after.
    If I'm getting something too cheap, it's me who's gouging someone down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

This is the driest june since we started recording in 2009 and we're heading into a heatwave now so grass will really crisp up now.
    We got 8mms rain yesterday, doesn't seem to anything much forecast now for ten days and ground is hard already

wrangler wrote: »
    This is the driest june since we started recording in 2009 and we're heading into a heatwave now so grass will really crisp up now.
    We got 8mms rain yesterday, doesn't seem to anything much forecast now for ten days and ground is hard already

That's mad we had rain most of the day yesterday and more earlier in the week. Overcast here now

See sky news website has a video of that apartment block collapsing in Miami. Christ it’s shocking just how it just folded up. God bless those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It has been a very dry June. Just thinking of the amount of times the wellies were out on and its down to single digits. Wet ground is bone dry and growth is back a lot. if we get the dry weather that is forecast all farms are going to be tight for grass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

19mm of rain yesterday in Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Oh rang me the other day that he got a text from aib about suspicious activity on our account . We don't bank with aib

I bank with aib and got that text from the number I normally get transaction verification messages from aib. I thought it was genuine. Didnt click into the link though.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

No shortage here either

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Lads down the road lifted about 18A amd wrapped it, in the rain, abandoned and another 6-8 still lying in swarths. Usually tight operators, unusual to see them caught out.

• Advertisement

Conan O Brien on the Late Late Show mentioned his mother of Irish heritage had a saying calling him "a bold stump".

That he asked famous Irish people, Bono, Seamus Heaney and now Tubridy and they never heard of it before.

Well Mr.O Brien your ma must've been of the same stock as my ma as her saying is "brassy stump".

Advertisement