Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If they will send to NI (especially of it's free delivery) then it's workable....

Leaving the troubles of the past aside,maybe there's a lot to be said for still having & going forward in future part of the uk on our island.

We'd be harder screwed only for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If they will send to NI (especially of it's free delivery) then it's workable....

I’ll just shop elsewhere
    Another supplier will ship the part probably €10 more.

The glyphosate saga continues

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/eu-glyphosate-assessment-dismisses-many-negative-claims-630492

Lots of research that seems to becoming more and more polarised on each side of the safety debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

_Brian wrote: »
    The glyphosate saga continues

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/eu-glyphosate-assessment-dismisses-many-negative-claims-630492

Lots of research that seems to becoming more and more polarised on each side of the safety debate.

Saw an article yesterday a local district in Victoria is proposing to heavily regulate the use of Glyphosate as well as outlaw the use if barbed wire fences as they can be a danger to wild animals. Green councillors are the ones pushing it.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭148multi

I remember the days of Donedeal.

I see your as popular as ever 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

148multi wrote: »
    I see your as popular as ever 😎

I was in the long grass waiting for you 148multi to bite. :D

Dd must've switched off for updates at the time..

Probably takes a dam in Iceland now to run the thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

This farming lark is total lunacy and it's amazing the hardship we put ourselves through for next to no reward. One of the uncles rang me at half 6 just as I was thinking of going for a takeaway with the better half. He couldn't locate 3 HEX bullocks he has grazing a few acres around the house and reckoned they'd broken into some adjoining forestry.

I said I'd take a spin over and see could we locate them. Him and I spent the last 3 hour's walking not one but 2 adjoining plantations before we eventually found them on another man's land about a mile away from where they left. They went across 2 forestrys and a road to eventually end up with a few wild cows belonging to another neighbour. With the help of God, my woman and another neighbour we managed to get them separated and back down the road to the uncle's shed.

They must have gotten a run with deer or something because the bullocks were half wild despite being usually quiet. It pissed down rain for 20 minutes on us during all this just to put the tin hat on it altogether. The better half is gone for a much needed takeaway, the uncle is gone to bed and I'm going for a shower. You'd have a better time in Mountjoy than at this farming craic.

This farming lark is total lunacy and it's amazing the hardship we put ourselves through for next to no reward. One of the uncles rang me at half 6 just as I was thinking of going for a takeaway with the better half. He couldn't locate 3 HEX bullocks he has grazing a few acres around the house and reckoned they'd broken into some adjoining forestry.

I said I'd take a spin over and see could we locate them. Him and I spent the last 3 hour's walking not one but 2 adjoining plantations before we eventually found them on another man's land about a mile away from where they left. They went across 2 forestrys and a road to eventually end up with a few wild cows belonging to another neighbour. With the help of God, my woman and another neighbour we managed to get them separated and back down the road to the uncle's shed.

They must have gotten a run with deer or something because the bullocks were half wild despite being usually quiet. It pissed down rain for 20 minutes on us during all this just to put the tin hat on it altogether. The better half is gone for a much needed takeaway, the uncle is gone to bed and I'm going for a shower. You'd have a better time in Mountjoy than at this farming craic.

:D

This is why Wexford is the greatest farming county in Ireland.

For anyone around the house tomorrow at 11am or you may have a personal reason to watch or just like watching services.
    There's a remembrance service on 11am on rte1 for all deaths in agriculture in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

One of those days here too. Have 4 weanlings in a rough bit of ground. Its boggy with humps and hollows. Anyways I didnt see them yesterday so went to look earlier in the pissing rain. Couldn't find them so assumed they broke out. I set off over the ditch into neighbours no sign there went on further into another neighbours no sign. Was getting frustrated and soaked at this stage so walked up a nearby hill to get a better look. Low and behold spotted them. In my own field lying down under bushes 50 yards from the bloody gate. If only I had walked left into the field instead I went up right towards neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

jimini0 wrote: »
    One of those days here too. Have 4 weanlings in a rough bit of ground. Its boggy with humps and hollows. Anyways I didnt see them yesterday so went to look earlier in the pissing rain. Couldn't find them so assumed they broke out. I set off over the ditch into neighbours no sign there went on further into another neighbours no sign. Was getting frustrated and soaked at this stage so walked up a nearby hill to get a better look. Low and behold spotted them. In my own field lying down under bushes 50 yards from the bloody gate. If only I had walked left into the field instead I went up right towards neighbour.

They say this kind of stuff is "character building"....
    So how come I'm not a fierce character altogether? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭148multi

I was in the long grass waiting for you 148multi to bite. :D

Dd must've switched off for updates at the time..

Probably takes a dam in Iceland now to run the thing.

Na just your pm box full ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Just watching the Embrace Remembrance service on RTE 1, it's unreal all that have died in farm accidents.
    The pictures of them all, especially the children, is particularily poignant. May they RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

wrangler wrote: »
    Just watching the Embrace Remembrance service on RTE 1, it's unreal all that have died in farm accidents.
    The pictures of them all, especially the children, is particularily poignant. May they RIP

Talking to a local farmer that has a daughter nursing. She said there were 5 farm accident cases last week, in the hospital where she works.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Talking to a local farmer that has a daughter nursing. She said there were 5 farm accident cases last week, in the hospital where she works.

Yea, I fell off a ladder a couple weeks ago myself, stepping off it onto a second row of bales when the ladder slipped out, and I landed heavily, as I would, on my hip and elbow,
    As I didn't fracture my hip I know now that I don't suffer from osteporosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a workman on outfarm before Christmas, he fell off a ladder and did a lot of damage to his shoulder. He was up in hospital in Dublin in March for his pre operation medical as he needed surgery on it. They found his main artery 80% blocked. Lucky man. Stent in the next week. He was happy he fell off the ladder as he wouldn't have known.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a workman on outfarm before Christmas, he fell off a ladder and did a lot of damage to his shoulder. He was up in hospital in Dublin in March for his pre operation medical as he needed surgery on it. They found his main artery 80% blocked. Lucky man. Stent in the next week. He was happy he fell off the ladder as he wouldn't have known.

FBD spponsored health checks for a couple farmers about fifteen years ago.
    They found an aneurism in one, they're usually found only on the slab iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Sitting in a hotel in Cavan supping pints of stout with the hurling on the tv looking out at the rain. Was a mental busy week so I could get away Haylage all baled, fert all sowed, ewes all clipped, shed floor all levels set for concreting and a day spent on a dumper moving a pile of topsoil. Had the U9s at a blitz this morning and they won all their matches, kids are at granny’s, oh is in the pool and life is good.
    Getting all the jobs done just makes being away more pleasurable than thinking I should be at home doing this or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sitting in a hotel in Cavan supping pints of stout with the hurling on the tv looking out at the rain. Was a mental busy week so I could get away Haylage all baled, fert all sowed, ewes all clipped, shed floor all levels set for concreting and a day spent on a dumper moving a pile of topsoil. Had the U9s at a blitz this morning and they won all their matches, kids are at granny’s, oh is in the pool and life is good.
    Getting all the jobs done just makes being away more pleasurable than thinking I should be at home doing this or that.

You didn’t marry a Cavan woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ah now, nothing wrong with Cavan women...

• Advertisement

Ah now, nothing wrong with Cavan women...

They come with Cavan father
    Neil Tobin comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

No I did not, shure she would be too mane to go to a hotel. Only joking Brian & Nek. 🀣

Power outage here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

You’ve to get up very early to catch some people.

I bought the combination spanner set from Aldi- just hot have evetything together for handy money.

Went to use it- someone has swapped out the 17 for a 16. So I’ve 2 16 spanner’s.

Will have to go digging for the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Figerty

You’ve to get up very early to catch some people.

I bought the combination spanner set from Aldi- just hot have evetything together for handy money.

Went to use it- someone has swapped out the 17 for a 16. So I’ve 2 16 spanner’s.

Will have to go digging for the receipt.

Some one has two 17's.. more useful that two 16s!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Figerty wrote: »
    Some one has two 17's.. more useful that two 16s!

The second I saw it, I twigged. Shur a spanner set normally should consist of 4/5 spanner’s for most jobs.

In the classroom I can’t keep 5.5 or 7 for the smaller nuts,

Got sent this today.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdx36jhu/

Made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

_Brian wrote: »
    Got sent this today.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdx36jhu/

Made me laugh.

Tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Not long in after herding before it got dark and the air is laden with the sweet smell of woodbine/honeysuckle. Most of the hedgerows on the farm have it growing in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Base price wrote: »
    Not long in after herding before it got dark and the air is laden with the sweet smell of woodbine/honeysuckle. Most of the hedgerows on the farm have it growing in them.

I noticed a lovely smell off the elder flowers today too.
    Meadow Sweet will be on soon.

Advertisement