Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Repeal the seal ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

_Brian wrote: »
    Repeal the seal ??

The 30 year Sealing of the "Mother & Baby" home records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The 30 year Sealing of the "Mother & Baby" home records.

I thought Fungy was after being replaced by a seal:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I thought Fungy was after being replaced by a seal:o

Salty the Sea Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

See cavan co co have raised local property tax for 2021 by 15%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ruwithme wrote: »
    See cavan co co have raised local property tax for 2021 by 15%

Gougers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjRNMSgY_qI

Worth watching, with a twist near the end. Not too many like these lads around anymore, for better or worse, but we all know of one or two.

I would normally read & not watch TV or films at all so this time round I'm trying to watch a few things I wouldn't normally go for. Watched the Hundred Foot Journey last night & loved it. Wouldn't normally even think about watching it if I read the description.

I love that film!
    ganmo wrote: »
    Luckily the president of Ireland has no authority

He did enough damage when he was a minister.

Labour moan on about things like solidarity, can they tell us why one of their former leaders is making essential trips from Dublin to his holiday home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Odelay wrote: »

Worth watching, with a twist near the end. Not too many like these lads around any more, for better or worse, but we all know of one or two.

Enjoyed that odelay, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

NcdJd wrote: »
    Enjoyed that odelay, very good.

Cheers lad. Enjoyed it myself.

I'd say there were some eyes looking around the graveyard when the second brother passed to see who would turn up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Herself is just back from casualty with the eldest lad. He slipped coming out of school this evening and hurt his ankle and luckily got him to the doctor who sent them back to town for an X-ray. He has a hairline fracture of his fibula so he's on crutches and a boot for 4 to 6 weeks.

2020, the year that keeps on giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Worth watching, with a twist near the end. Not too many like these lads around anymore, for better or worse, but we all know of one or two.

Thought it was brilliant. I didn't see thar twist coming. Have a question for you that watched it... How did they film it before the 1st brothers death and then the secret came out only after he died?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

kk.man wrote: »
    Thought it was brilliant. I didn't see thar twist coming. Have a question for you that watched it... How did they film it before the 1st brothers death and then the secret came out only after he died?

I watched it a second time, and don't think the "secret" was much of a surprise to Nicholas, somehow or another.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Cheers lad. Enjoyed it myself.

I'd say there were some eyes looking around the graveyard when the second brother passed to see who would turn up!

Sadly it's a common enough occurrence and I always find it tragic that those sort of revelations only come out after a death. The opportunity for some sort of explanation and reconciliation has passed and naturally it's a massive shock to those left behind who were kept in the dark about it all. It's often the case that the remaining family members take it badly as happened above with the remaining brother. I can't help but think that the deceased man (assuming that he knew about his offspring) was a selfish bastard for keeping that from his brother for all those year's but we don't know all the details. There's usually no real winners in those scenarios imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

I watched it a second time, and don't think the "secret" was much of a surprise to Nicholas, somehow or another.

But they shared everything it was empathised on more than one occasion in the 1st part of the documentary.

Trump live now from the West Wing of the White House on CNN (Sky 506),

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Tileman

Trump live now from the West Wing of the White House on CNN (Sky 506),

Yea it’s crazy stuff. They should be pulling the plug on it. He will start a civil war over there. You wouldn’t believe it if you saw it in some third world country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I was expecting something like this.
    The final kick of a dying monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No way!! - the long haired friends of Jesus are mobilizing as we speak!!:D;)

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1324175651515949056

Some scary people over there!!:confused:

• Advertisement

A dying wasp has an awful sting.

Birdnuts wrote: »

Have two questions about that.

Do you think she believes that madness or inside her head is she thinking “Jesus I better make this look good for these loonies to keep the money rolling in”

And

The guy in the background with the book whom nobody There seems to see, I presume he’s on a dare or something, he looks like a guy walking round the pool on his holidays looking for a free recliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Birdnuts wrote: »

Not really at all unusual in the states. There are many evangelical Christians on both sides.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2020/november/evangelical-election-trump-biden-wait-vote-count-pa.html

148multi wrote: »
    The repeal the seal campaigners might argue the toss there

I’m completely open to correction on this but the Presidents hands are a bit tied on this.

From a previous article I read I think the case is if he doesn’t sign it off it goes to the AG and of the AG says there is no problem he must sign it off but it is no longer open to challenge. Where if he signs it in it is open to a further challenge.
    The loont of the article was that by signing these things straight into law he’s actually facilitating further challenges where otherwise the option to challenge would be blocked.

So he’s both doing his job but facilitating anyone to challenge it. If he were interested in supporting a whitewash he would have signed it on such a way that it wasn’t open to challenge.

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m completely open to correction on this but the Presidents hands are a bit tied on this.

From a previous article I read I think the case is if he doesn’t sign it off it goes to the AG and of the AG says there is no problem he must sign it off but it is no longer open to challenge. Where if he signs it in it is open to a further challenge.
    The loont of the article was that by signing these things straight into law he’s actually facilitating further challenges where otherwise the option to challenge would be blocked.

So he’s both doing his job but facilitating anyone to challenge it. If he were interested in supporting a whitewash he would have signed it on such a way that it wasn’t open to challenge.

Dont think it's the AG it's a council including judges, previous presidents etc. But ya if that council gives it the go ahead the president has to sign it and the law cant be challenged

Dont think it's the AG it's a council including judges, previous presidents etc. But ya if that council gives it the go ahead the president has to sign it and the law cant be challenged

I remember seeing the jist if it.
    So him signing it this way is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

Luckily the president of Ireland has no authority

My post was in response to the above post, I don't hold a pro or con opinion on the president (MD). The president has sole discretion to decide on referring an act, or section of an act to the supreme Court. The president is also obliged to consult the council of state on a range of issues. I may be wrong, but I think once referred to the supreme Court, an act can't be challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye the president if s/he isn't happy with a bit of proposed legislation can refer it to the council of state, which is made up of former AG's, former Taoiseach, (I think this would include Leo) former presidents, some current government members and then I think the president can appoint 7 of their own advisors. But I think there is something that if the Council of State approve a bill it restricts how it could be reviewed in court so presidents are very reluctant to use it and prefer to allow legislation to be tested in court if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Panch18 wrote: »
    1 He described Fidel Castro as a "Giant among Global leaders"

Castro was a clearly a Giant among global leaders; disagree with his politics all you want eg. Kim Jong Un/Mandela/Arafat Etc. are/were all giants on the world stage. The regime Castro took on and the Cold war etc. ensured his place in history. That is irrefutable.
    when he was the first head of state in the world to offer condolences upon his death
    Link/source for that?
    2 Giving interviews to communist newspapers where he openly discuses his thought on
    Nothing wrong with giving interviews. If that was the case no news outlet would be permitted to interview him/ Any president.
    government policy and what they should and shouldn't do - having absolutely no regard for the fact that his position as president is supposed to be apolitical

Well now you clearly don't know what your talking about.
    Lets say, for the sake of this discussion, that your faux outrage at MDH over not remaining apolitical was genuine; your support for Peter Casey should evaporate. Here was a presidential candidate openly campaigning and commenting on a subject he (a) would have no platform to speak on (b) shouldn't be telling government what they should/shouldn't do (c) Used racism as a dog whistle to garner votes from easily impressionable voters because he could offer nothing else.

I'll put my next months income on, that you not having uttered a word or passed a remark about Peter Casey intending to abuse the Presidential office.

Aside from this, and without a link to MDH's comments, It's not clear if you understand what "Apolitical" means in relation to the presidents role and what he can/cannot say.
    but lapping up the opportunity to speak to a communist newpaper
    So you said above he "gave" an interview...but because it was a communist one and it suits your argument, he was "lapping it up"...:rolleyes:
    3 he has a personal relationship with and is a known huge admirer of Nicaragua's hard line president Daniel Ortega

I have friends who vote Sinn Fein (and I assume you/others here may well have also) Do we discard our friends post how they vote etc? Nonsense.

MDH ran as a FF/labour politician, never as part of the Communist Party; Your original claim of "Irelands biggest Communist" etc. is tripe.

All you've done is again prove my original point (which you completely missed) In a two party system the US operate, a common theme is not to explain/defend your own position, it's to point at the opposition and label them as worse (biggest communist ;)) in an effort to validate your own sides antics and people excusing repulsive behaviour.

• Advertisement

Mary mcalese used it a few times. Cant remember the laws but I remember Bertie being all smiles

Advertisement