Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

All windows & opened wide from midnight to 2 am. Opened again this morning from 5:30 until 8 am in the hope of getting the temp down indoors. No air movement, should have purchased fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,551 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have our windows open most nights. Awful racket outside around midnight. A hawk or something going mad, dogs going mad, neighbours dogs going mad. Don't know wtf it was, sent oh to investigate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Went for a swim in Lough ennell after 7pm last night and went for a walk around the lake after and the shorts were dry before I got back to the jeep,

Beautiful weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Try leaving them closed and curtains drawn all day today, bought a portable battery fanfor €25 in DID on Subday and a cooling pilow for €15 a great job. I noticed a fair differebce this morning when i left the bedroom to the hall, the hall being cooler and all the windows closed. Got given a bottle of suncream back in the last heatwave in May and fund it doesnt run as much will post a photo of ut later.

Better living everyone

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Moving the cattle to another paddock today. as it was near the holding pen, I decided that I'd do calves with pouron and Black Leg vaccine. Christ the heat was unreal. A neighbour pulled up hear me and I as I was talking, I'd thought I'd faint. Started to feel real dizzy. Had to sit into the jeep for a while to come around.

I'm usually OK with the heat, but between jumping gates and all ....just too much. Temp gauge here in the shade showing 30C.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

For those who maybe interested - a pedigree multi breed farmer in Monaghan is selling his herds of Limousin, Simmental, Charolais and Angus cattle this Saturday in Elphin mart. Apparently he is quitting in order to go dairying.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/it-s-not-the-colour-of-the-cow-rather-the-quality-633598

Getting up at 5.30 am helps, get the herding out of the way early.. There was some heat in the sun 8am this morning. Are you travelling in that heat, can't be easy in sites this weather.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

This was behind my aunts house. She said the bang off it was unreal

• Advertisement

40/50 minutes each way the last few days about an hour and a half each way the next two days im not minding it too much to be honest. Id usually be up at 530 most mornings and get a cup of tea and be heading out the door at 610, now with this heat im struggling to get out of bed for 610 even. I dont mind the heat at all really, workmates cant understand how id have a short sleeve tshirt on in the winter time and im more wrapped up now i.e. long sleeves, long pants the saying you couldnt kill a bad thing comes to mind. Been blessed the last few days as i was fairly secluded where i was working and could wear the wide brim hat i have. The next two days will be a pain as for H+S rules ill have to wrap up more and wear the hard hat constantly as well as being surrounded by heros afraid to stop for a drink of water for fear it would get back to the top 🙄

Better living everyone

We had great sport here when it came to renewing safe pass with ms teams online. We just about had everything in place before switch on time. The bonus being it can be done at home and the rest of the day off.

Ah yea Covids made an absolute mess of all that H+S stuff, only found out after 11 months of working on a certain programme that i hadnt been fully inducted due to all the mix ups with covid and the like, the induction will be invalid anyway on Monday week however im obliged to take it this Monday or at a later date if that doesnt suit and i highly doubt ill be on one of their sites next week either. I gave three months without Abrasive Wheels training last year the same with Manual Handling and i suppose its 14 months without The Forklift Ticket now too. Its gone to the stage where i just refuse to operate the forks now.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hope the oh was ok 🙂

Front and back doors and windows open for about a hour after sunset seems to cool down the house rightly.

gkids have a large concrete water trough converted into a swimming pool.

Heard Ruth&Eamon discuss same with a Dr. - heat exhaustion (not the same as heat stroke). Drink lots of fluids and get under a cold shower to recover was Dr. recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’ve been using these in hot weather for a few years. Each tablet makes 750ml of electrolytes. Comes in a few flavours.

these days I’d have it twice during the day.

used to buy them online but local chemist has them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm sure you know already, but it is important to use only the amount of water specified. I got different ones in Lidl - each tablet 120ml.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yep.

Always follow the instructions with stuff like these.

Only saw this now. Some mess alright. How did ye get it out? Happens here a lot locally, but it's deep trenches of water. Lifting strap around the neck and pull forward with tractor loader. Keep strap short and lift as you reverse back.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Daisy waiting for her daily slice of bread 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Been away since Sunday. 3 hour spin down to Cork and an hour into it the air con on the car decided it was too hot outside to be working. That was a disaster. 3 of us sweating in the car then. Visited Fota (was very busy) and Blarney (was quiet) on Monday. Stayed in the Clayton in the city. Lovely hotel.

Drove to Killarney on Tuesday (sans air con). Stopped at The Farm on the way. Was very disappointed with that place. Badly needs to be cleaned up and improved. Landed at Muckross house and chilled out under a tree. Even took a Jarvey to Torc waterfall. Mainly for the young lad to have a spin on the cart. €50 notes. Some money being made there. I wonder what their tax bill is! Stayed in the Gleneagle. That hasn't changed much since I was there 30 years ago. No air con in the room resulted in a couple of sleepless nights in the heat. Visited Rossbeigh beach on Wednesday but there was a jellyfish convention on or something. Thousands of them lying on the sand. Only stayed a couple of hours.

Thursday headed to Ballyheigue. Great few hours on the beach there. Young lad delighted to be in splashing and jumping. Went from there to the Radisson in Limerick for another night of overpowering heat due to no air con. Headed to Bunratty on Friday and then drove to my parents to get a fan for the house to keep us cool at night. While there, temp dropped from 28 to 16 and unreal claps of thunder which shook the house. Lightning too and hail and rain. Unbelievable amount of rain fell. Easily an inch I'd say. Our cattle grid filled (it's 4 feet deep) and overflowed. I've never seen that in 41 years! Mother doesn't recall it ever happening either.

Was bad luck that a ginger who doesn't like heat would go on holiday the hottest week of the year and then suffer with no way of cooling in the car or hotel. Typical. Was still great to get away.

Back to reality now and bring home the turf. 40th birthday party later and young lads 3rd birthday tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭emaherx

Sure is quite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Yeah since the change over the same volume of traffic just doesn’t seem to be going through the site in general. Pity.

Yea, it will be a real shame if it continues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

😁 If that's the worst mistake I make today, I'll be happy enough.

• Advertisement

Advertisement