Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Everyones different, a neighbour here spending about €40/wk 0n train fares and another spending €800/mth on accomadation going to the same university,

People don't report these things, they don't realise it's their hard earned tax that is being wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fair point, and tis 15 years since I was in college and knew plenty who depended on grants etc and plenty when the grant came in twas the beer is all they'd see for a few weeks. If those pressures are there systems should be in place so it can't be abused, ie maybe food vouchers with proof required etc, plenty supermarkets around the colleges who could aid in such schemes if they bothered there ass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Have a young lad in college. Worked all summer for to get the fees together. Working Saturday and 3 nights during the week to get the dosh to run his car. Takes a packed lunch with him everyday. It's not that easy for some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yes massive generalisation there by wrangler, not everyone is born with a silver spoon.

• Advertisement

Most students I know Have jobs, Grand niece is in Cork and she doesn't need free food.

There's no control on Govt spending now but it's your children and their comrades that'll be paying it all back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'm not saying there isn't young lads / lassies working hard to make ends meet, worked 80hr weeks in a factory to pay for college myself, just saying there can generally be enough there to take the piss as well to feck up the show for others

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I got some replacement single slats from Wrights in Cavan, is there anyone else making these replacement slats,

It's a bit of a journey, but good to get them nonethe less.

Shed is 45 years old, was surprised anyone was making them now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

She heard someone say that the grass was greener on the other side.😆

• Advertisement

Great there was someone on hand to film it......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Everyone has a smartphone now in fairness. The back legs looked very limp to me. I'd like to have seen them stand but I presume that's why they cut the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Took a chance at brought her to Gortatlea mart this morning, made just over 1500. Delighted with that result, place was packed with animals

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

That seems a great price for an import and she must have been a good one. I'm assuming she was announced as having a red card? I carried a SIX cow to the mart a few weeks back that was imported as a suck from Austria back in the last days of the super levy. She was a handy type store 520kg and made €500 which I thought was a good enough price under the circumstances. I rang the owner to tell him and he was delighted and told me it €400 more than he expected given what he'd be told about red card cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

All this talk on grant

When rent and fees are paid would there be much left?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Youngest did the same. He studied at NUIG and shared a 3 bed apartment (after 1st year) with 2 other lads. He came home to NCD on the bus every weekend and work Fri night, Sat afternnon/night and Sunday afternoons (including full time work during the Summer break) in a well know pub/nightclub in the city center. I would drop him into work on Sundays with his rushsack/holdall full of clean clothes etc and he would finish work on Sunday night in time to catch the GoBus back to Galway. He had a car which he used to drive to and from work but it was cheaper to get the GoBus to and from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'm not going to be liked for this but IMO there's far too much emphasis on going to college. The idea of trades or skilled manual work is a foreign concept nowadays. Tradesmen are like hens teeth around here and only going to get worse.

I did the LC back in 92. A few days before the exams I was offered an apprenticeship in the ESB. A few of the teachers were disgusted when they heard this. Almost as if their hard work was in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭DBK1

You’re 100% right. I was talking to a roofer lately, he’d be about mid 30’s. He says when they’re on any of the bigger sites he’d be nearly one of the youngest lads on site. There’s very few lads in their 20’s working in trades. Who’s going to do all the work in 20 or so years time when the lads in their 30’s now are gone past it?

There definitely more focus on trades that few years ago. Quite a few from my daughters year have just started trades and loving it. More than I’ve heard of in years.

my daughter has worked for much of her college money and we top up the balance. Covid knocked allot of these students out of work and they were too young for the payments.

she is just in from her bus, working from 8 - 6 tomorrow and 9-1 Sunday, back on the bus 6 Sunday evening. She’s worked there since she was 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I was 7 years out of school before starting a trade, one of the best decisions ive made but its definitly not for everyone just as third level isnt for everybody either. Everyone ive met from school who went onto third level at the time reckons im elected after going down this route. Only in the 2nd year now and take home roughly €550-600/week on average and thats Monday to Friday, compared to studying for 4 years and having to do a graduate scheme/internship after qualifying for little pay.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Nearly impossible to get a tradesman atm. Was trying over 2 years to get someone to fix my roof. A lad came last week, thankfully.

Last time i was talking to our Solas contact she said there was 1200 on both electrical and plumbing waiting lists for phase 2 of the apprenticeship, whereas there was 100 on our waiting list. Theyve slipped up big time over the last few years and tis going to take most lads and ladies a minimum of 5 years to qualify now.

Better living everyone

Such a shame it slipped for them. I was talking to my youngest there recently about trades recently making sure she knows it’s also a great route to a livelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Looks like a nice dry week in store next week...im thinking of doing a 2nd cut of bale silage on a field then.....(20 acres excess grass)...no takers for zero grazing around, no one is short grass this year.....

Tell me im wrong??

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Absolutely agree with getting a trade. Youngest wanted to be a Marine Biologist since he was in playschool. He worked towards his goal and thankfully is employed in a Government full time pensionable job. Eldest was totally different, he is currently living in Aus and working in the buildings on what they call form work. He left school (against my wishes) in the middle of 5th year and never sat his Leaving Cert. He got a job in another well know large Dublin pub/nightclub for a few years to gather money before heading to Aus. He now loves what he does and said to me recently that he would never have thought to take the choice/option of doing carpentry/woodwork when at school. Some lads need to spread their wings far and wide before they learn how to land back to Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Who would ye contact if a phone line pole is leaning over/towards the road?

There's a broadband box on it as well as the obvious danger of it falling in the next storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

(Leaning pole of wexico).

The pole on left is straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

The other twin has his first yr done as an apprentice carpenter. Absolutely loves it. I done fitting when I left school and afterwards done night classes in mechanical engineering and later done electrical engineering as well. A lot easier to do the college when you have an income.

2nd year fitting myself now too, looking into nightclasses for welding and stoving here at the moment too, was looking into the engineering side of things too but nothing suited me in regards flexibility along with work. Such a broad area to be working in you wouldnt be stuck for variety once qualified anyway.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

She lost her calf in Feb so she's been looking after herself since, was 805kg in the ring today. Auctioneer called her out as being a French import anyway and anything over 1000 and I'd have been delighted given the fact that she was a 9 year old too.

Advertisement