Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I automatically thought about the P&T but their defunct, then I was going to suggest Telecom Eireann but they are also gone by the wayside, then I thought about Eircom (never forgot the shares debacle and thankfully I bought a Connie pony instead) but alas they don't exist anymore either so my best guess is EIR on 1850 245 424.

https://www.openeir.ie/dangerous-plant-reporting/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A trade is massive, maybe better than a degree

The problem is nobody wanted an apprentice up until recent, they were happy to have extra labourers on lower wages.

We lost allot of trained guys locally to US OZ etc back in bust as they couldn’t get work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thanks. 😅

I may ring that number Monday.

Reason I asked I was near that pole earlier in the year when some young fella was walking away from it. I asked what he was doing (it was lashing rain at the time). He said a van had dropped him off and he was inspecting the pole. He said he found that pole acceptable and there was a good few years left in it still. I told him it was a hazard. Reading back what I typed you'd wonder was he legit. But he said it was logged in to be checked.

I'll ring Monday.

The US and Aus are crying out for qualified trades people and apparently pay a hell of a lot more than they would get in Ireland. Eldest told me that a qualified carpenter in Aus will get $90+ per hour whereas he (unqualified) is getting from $50 to $65 depending on the job and the taxes.

Out of interest have a look and see does it have the original P7T symbol stamped into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I rang that number for the dangerous poles 2 years ago after it got hit a lad rang me back onsite at half 12 at night. I told him that a higher new pole was needed and 2 elderly people had the monitored alarms depending on it. Pole was replaced within the week to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Lifestyle is a huge bonus out there too as well as the weather, way better value for youre tax as well.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Agreed, tradesmen good or bad are like hens teeth here now and they can pretty much name their price. Building a handy enough sized bungalow here at the moment and the labour for the block work and roof alone is coming in over 20k. They all saying they cant keep the work done or find apprentices to take on. I think it will be a huge problem in another couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Is the building not going to soon stop with increased costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

The rules around mortgages here in Oz are changing to try take the steam out of the market. Stress test will have higher percentage points. Market is on fire and developers are pushing ahead full pelt. I can't complain I'm making a living off it but the Irish experience is always in my head. House prices increasing all the time despite covid and supply issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Great to see the crowd in Cork Last night despite Beef Plan doing their best to undermine the rallies.

They really are anti farmer and farming/agriculture.

They should f.. off now and let real farmers protect their future, my rent depends on them succeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

I was there for a few years up till 2016, I thought very strong about buying property and staying long term but I thought the backside was going to fall out of it the way house prices were going, it was ridiculous and I was sure I’d get stung. Turns out it hasn’t stopped going up since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lads nd lasses I cant see any of the soccer forums, what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

China kept the bubble going for them. I'd imagine they will fall now as China is slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

It's too little, too late. I don't think they got the message out too well either. Their main message seemed to be trying to maintain the status quo with FF and FG and telling the greens to butt out. There should have been real issues raised and put into the public domain and they need a social media presence. They came across very bad if you ask me considering the strong case they have to put forward. The vast majority of people outside of farming have no idea of the workload and investment involved in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭green daries

You have to request access to the soccer forum

There wouldve been a much more concentrated effort meeting the government in the last couple weeks, up to 200 members would've met politicians at a session,near the dail and I'm sure again locally this weekend. We shouldn't care about educating the public they don't give a sh... about us.

Plenty of stuff on the net about it

https://www.ifa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/IFA-Pre-Budget-Submission-2022.pdf

https://www.foe.ie/news/2010/12/16/ifa-is-scaremongering-about-impact-of-climate-change-law/

https://www.ifa.ie/ifa-campaigns/climate-action/

Plenty going on, Climate action is only one of many campaign.

Just remarking a Beef plan member posting that IFA are doing nothing, he started farming in 1990, he got a lovely place same acreage as mine, he didn't have the 20% interest in the 1980s nor the 5 years nursing home bills That I had,

He was substantially better off than I was in 1990. He just didn't put in the effort.

Everything I have is due to IFA delivery, even the OH remarked the other day that she didn't mind paying the IFA membership as her contributary pension has just kicked off. None thought we'd get that for farmers wives that already had a Public Service pension, But there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I was at the local Ifa meeting lately and they had a guest speaker, and I have to say he was a brilliant speaker and you could tell he is was passionate. He was explaining all that goes on in the background. In fairness the Ifa have very competent people at various roles who can get things done.

it’s a terrible pity the whole debacle happened with Ifa cause it really weakened not only the organisation but also farmers representation.

I was supportive of beef plan at the beginning but they completely self imploded. I feel sorry for Corley in a way because it just all ran away from him. but for all those who shouted the loadest, it’s easy tell people what they want to hear but hard to back it up.

every split from the Ifa is weakening farmers hands. They were protesting just to be able to negotiate with the government, in years gone by that would have been a given.

sure any minister now can play one organisation off the other.

one thing that is an issue for Ifa I think is most farms now are one, maybe two enterprises, whilst years ago most farms had a few different things going. It is very hard to keep everyone happy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The optics from Cork weren't great either with shiny new top of the range high end tractors rolling threw the streets - a m8 was on a stag in the city and said alot of the locals weren't exactly impressed with the message or the spectacle. If thats whats planned for Dublin its likely to go down even worse since the Mica crowd got alot of grief on Dublin Radio stations for slowing the M50 and most non-farmers would be more sympathetic to their plight compared to a certain section of farmers riding into town on 6 figure machines protesting about their right to keep increasing nitrate pollution or keeping the current dysfunctional tax payer supported CAP.

A lot of complaints about Cullinan but it was his solo run at the factory gates that got him elected, probably ironically by dual beef plan /ifa members that are now criticising him.

I always thought he came across like a rabbit in the headlights so i didn't support him, but he's now another target for BP posting

You'd give credit where it's due if BP were doing anything but they're not only as you say giving politicians ammo to use against IFA.

Each commodity commitee runs pretty well independent of each other so it should work.

• Advertisement

My back and hearing is wrecked from a MF 135 and MF 188. To be wishing those days on us again is a bit sick..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Have you noticed how protests are only ever bad optics when it's the side you disagree with are doing it? Like during the pandemic, it decided if they were super spreader events or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Jaysus, plenty lads drive em around on Sunday’s for sport these days…

I saw a new Land Rover Defender today and my first impression was that it looked like a security van 🤨

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

You'd want the contents of the security van to pay for it to I'd imagine. There fairly basic as regards aesthetics which is in keeping with the rugged no frills Defender history. However they remind me of a bigger, beefier Suzuki Jimny which isn't something I'd want to be reminded of daily if I'd parted with that amount of my hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

OH was saying same from comments she saw on social media

Need the older tractors in farm condition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

God forbid an industry can afford to have modern safe equipment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I doubt he'd of had it any other way, some are quarried for the hardship & love reminiscing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A good while ago when I was doing my green cert work experience. A nephew of the host farmer (god be good to him) came into the kitchen and proclaimed how he would love to turn hay on his father's half of the farm with the host farmers vintage ferguson 20.

The nephew was an accountant on his weekend off. I gave him a look and that he wouldn't like it when he's covered in dust and horsefly bites. The farmer laughed. I grew up with it. The accountant didn't. The farm was leased out. But he had a romantic notion of it saving hay on those two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭green daries

It's part of the wider approach that everything was ok before modern machinery and farming practices and a bit if expansion in dairy production.....

As you said I well remember the older machinery even as a young fella you would be crippled after a long day in them

Advertisement