Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Daughter started college. She says there’s a “freshers flu” running through the place, all testing negative including herself.

It’s to be expected, as you say with so little mixing going on we all probably dropped immunity a bit on simple stuff like the common cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭green daries

Re the cows they will show as vaccinated against the particular disease the vaccine used carries a marker to identify it

Lively CAP meeting in Maam Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Good loser

Re your comment on Poland. That ruling undermines the whole legal system on which the EU operates. Cannot be countenanced.

The funny thing about law is it can be changed. Currently, on one issue only, designations - the nationalisation of lands, I'm in favour of Ireland leaving the EU. Lawmakers in both the EU and our own country need to realise the depth of feeling about designations here. They are a failed policy in an Irish cultural context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

We aren’t in an area with designations, so don’t know much about them.

How should they work, or what main changes should be made Herd?

I know you might say bin them, but that’s a bit like the lad telling directions and saying ‘I wouldn’t start from here’ 🙂

Maybe it’s an unfair question, as it’s too broad. Just interested to hear what the issues and maybe solutions are is all… not trying to catch you or anything…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The difference is looking for antigen (viral bits) versus looking for antibodies. You can look for one without it being affected by the other.

Deleted antigen vaccines (IBR MARKER) is looking for antibodies to one antigen to show any presence of IBR and then looking for another the presence of another to determine if it's vaccine virus or not. The wild virus has antigens that the vaccinal virus doesn't.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Maybe need to understand the history of them a little in this area. I'd say since the mid 90's at the very latest I'd have been going to meetings with my late Dad. There'd be a presentation including a rare species of this, an alpine species of that, extraordinarily good water quality and so on. This is leaving out overgrazing and that clusterfuck for the moment. All the way up to very recently, it could be a farm org meeting, a Duchas/OPW/NPWS meeting, a Teagasc meeting, there'd be a bit thrown in on that angle.

People didn't really understand, I think, what was coming at that stage. Sure REPS was there and wasn't it the best thing since sliced bread, there were "experts" on the ground and weren't things getting sorted. I remember a high up guy in Teagasc saying it was European money and sure it'd never stop. As time went on, people discovered what SAC's, SPA's, NHA's meant in real terms. Considering the area of the country, if you owned a piece of land that wasn't fenced but had the right to be fenced..... Now you had to get planning permission and an ecological impact report to put a post in the ground. On the NPWS website, there's a list of 38/39 ARC's, activities requiring consent. Some big stuff, some little stuff like draining, fencing, making a road/track, all the way up to things like quarrying.

How do I explain it.... Designations are to opportunity what slurry gas is to people.

There are isolated examples of people like a guy in the Burren doing 2/3 times daily wild flower tours. But, it's not reasonable to suggest that on, what they propose, 30% of the country, every couple of kilometers there's people basically doing the same type of diversification like that, it won't work. Before biodiversity/climate was the be all and end all, rural depopulation was the be all and end all. I know I haven't heard about rural depopulation for a very long time.

There's a man around Killary Harbour, does sheep dog demonstrations etc. and he was in the Findo a while back. He would have liked to build a small centre for visitors, a good diversification idea for his family and it would have secured his families future that bit more. He didn't even apply for it because he knew, like I know, that he would have been refused because his land is designated. People might say, but he didn't try!!! What did he expect when he didn't apply???

That is to not understand designations, and their control of your land.

So my view on them. I don't see the point of them. I don't accept the argument but they work in other EU countries. That's like saying (and I'm not lest I start a row) the dairy farmer is doing great therefore all farmers are doing great, or Denmark is doing great therefore all EU states are doing great. We in Ireland, are unique, in that we're different, just like everyone else 😄

If we take the NPWS figure of 92% of the habitats have failed to improve OR gone backwards from their starting point, then really designations ARE pointless, habitats, clean water etc were why they were imposed The word imposed comes to the meat of the thing. That they were imposed, that they are used by those with agendas as a blunt instrument against land owners is precisely why they have failed. The hypocritical situation of having "stakeholders", everyone's opinion counts except s/he who actually owns the land. At the same time you're still being told aren't you great for having clean water, alpine species this, rare species that. The value of designations across the EU is estimated (and I think I linked to it in the Biodiversity 2030 thread) at between 300 and 400 BILLION euros.

Probably close to 2/3rds of my farm is designated. I get nothing for that imposition.

So. You did ask me a question, and I haven't forgotten. If they can't be wiped off the map, which IS my preference. At least make the **** thing livable. That man around Killary harbour should be able to build a modest tourist centre to support his family. People like he and I should be able to do reasonable things, planning for houses, businesses and such. Our national route the N59 encountered serious issues due to designations, it's a bad dangerous road. The hypocrisy of it is if you stand on a lot of it you're surrounded by tens of thousands of hectares of designation, but the people who control the land now made it as hard as possible to even give that minuscule % of land to accommodate works to upgrade national infrastructure, what hope has the single farmer on his/her own against that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Interesting article from BBC on the impact of a number of foodstuffs.

For example, beef cattle raised on deforested land is responsible for 12 times more greenhouse gas emissions than cows reared on natural pastures.

The average beef from South America results in three times the amount of greenhouse gases as beef produced in Europe - and uses 10 times as much land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

These things are always funny. Eat less lads. Over half the worlds population haven't enough to eat. If we all ate the same amount and just enough to keep us all going, the amount of emission changes would be negligible.

Eat more plants and stay away from the animal stuff as best ya can. Sound job. The vast % of the worlds land is not suitable for tillage, or if converted to tillage would lead to massive soil erosion over time. See this TD talk from Alan Savory.

Plus tillage needs fertiliser. We gonna horse out a hape of artificial fertiliser? Bloody stuff is fairly costly now, not to mention the crack down on it due to water quality. With the best will in the world, crops need nutrients. Animals turn grass into food and shite. We spread the shite on the land to feed the soil. The soil grows the crops. Rinse and repeat. Fairly simple really when ya take out all the vested interests.

Want to cut down your food emissions:

1. Buy local
    2. Buy sustainable
    3. Don't be dumping it cos the shape is a bit off or it's the same date as the best before.

Food is too bloody cheap here. Those starving would gladly pay for food if they were able. They know the value of it. The developed world simply don't.

Be brave to predict much. He came, he saw, he listened. I'm more interested in what he'll do, that has to be decided by NYE. Given it was a meeting for the county of Galway, there was a big diversity of views.

He wanted opinions so... I asked for 100% convergence, now. More options under the Eco scheme so more farmers would be able to draw down the funding. No discrimination or barriers to entry like was in REAP & GLAS, in future env schemes.

I have a lot more opinions but I didn't want to frighten him 😀

I do have an idea what way he'll go but I'm keeping it under my hat. I would encourage people to go to their Co.'s meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just wow. The stupidity of humanity never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Odelay

Yes. Two thirds are from the 8% that are not vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

How many are pregnant women admitted for observation and how many are suffering from severe illness es that mean they cannot receive a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

In from a night of pints with my work buds. Probably Christmas 2019 since we were last out. Nothing changed really among us apart from age. However, the night out experience has. We went to Seans in Athlone seeing as work is based there. Pints of ale running at 4.90, a full 70c more than previous. That's the big killer. Bouncers going around at 11 to hunt you out by half 11 so they can clean up was another. I counted 14 people out in the beer garden where previously it would be jammers with a band playing too. Thursday nights are not what they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭emaherx

It's ICU cases those statistics were for not hospital cases, so none are just admitted to ICU for observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭jaymla627

After Xmas the next pirriah group will be the vaccinated who are 6 months past their second shot and refuse to get a booster and the merry-go-round will stay turning, with case rates in the thousands every day and only 300k not vaccinated and half of those probably have natural immunity the blame game on this group can't last indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Reminds me of a Spanish holiday, a friend bought bottles of vodka and white rum out there. She had them re- bottled in the local winery as wine, for a nominal charge. To avoid import duties. Back home in a night club she produced the spirits from her pocket, this time in a well rinsed out shampoo bottle. She sprayed out a stream into her lowered glass, I nearly collapsed laughing as she filled mine in the same way in the crowded night club. Those were the days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Slurry deadline day, there was some fleet of tractors spreading this last week. With ground conditions near perfect it was a good help to everyone. The 1 problem some people had was too much grass cover on the fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Yesterday was the day. Tough going on contractors between maize slurry and a share of lads at grass as well. Twill be some bollix for em when deadline goes back to September with the amount of other work on then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye, seen lads around here we're working around the clock at it putting out slurry for the pig men. This arbitrary date thing is stupid.. ,3 years ago you couldn't travel with anything heavier than a pair of wellies on land around here yet lads were ploughing out to empty out tanks. I would guess this farming by the calendar is doing more hard than good.

Got last of mine out Tuesday, hate leaving it close to deadline but it's true there was nowhere to spread until this week with such good covers. Small bit of FYM to get out at weekend and I'll be done till cows come in hopefully in December some time at this rate.

Grand morning for trimming behind the fences. 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement

Is there much cost getting an electricity connection to a shed? Shed is about 120 yards from the road, haven't checked if the neighbours have poles closer but let's say for the moment they don't.

Advertisement