Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

Throwing out a thought to be chewed on.

At the CAP meeting in Maam Cross, it was proposed (not by a local I may add) that a tax be placed on meat and dairy products to involve the consumer in paying for climate change.

I've got a couple of problems with that, but if we were to follow that direction of travel for a minute and make it more inclusive. Hows about an assessment of all products that a multiple carries and a charge for using that multiple based on that assessment?

I think it might change the behaviour of multiples, which in turn would change the behaviour of the masses.

The problem I have with the meat & dairy tax is it just punishes those product categories yet leaves others, avocados for example, away scott free.

No doubt someone will say fcuk off with yer charges and I'd agree, but it's a counter to a meat & dairy tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Should be a tax above a certain ampunt of food miles. So the likes of avovados reflect the enviromental damage they cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

If twas worldwide we have more to fear than most as we are net exporters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Shouldn't be a tax on food of any sort.

Most would say it's a human right before a roof over your head. But it's not a right it's a necessity that we have to pay for. The trouble is it's not valued, it's undervalued. Undervalued on purpose to keep the western and most of the world fed. Not withstanding the importance of meat and dairy for a balanced nutrition.

We've undernourished like skeletons now vegans dictating that meat and dairy is a harm to the world. How have we allowed this to happen? Worse listen to their sh1t. They can go phuck themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anyone here ever buy a heating panel from pure heat technologies in Louth before? Looking at buying one just seeing has anyone here had any experience with them. TiA

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭MfMan

Anyone know if Stacey's machinery in Brannockstown is still trading? I'm not from the area but passed by there yesterday and it looked like a yard that was closed. PM me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Labour court to recommend a 5.6% pay increase for construction workers. I know of a civil contractor that struggled to get someone to drive a tractor and dust surpression unit for 19.37euro an hour during the summer.

How does agriculture compete with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

It honestly cant in rates of pay, overtime, subsistence and whatever else comes along with it. Tried getting a friend here to go for a few pints tonight but hes working today and tomorrow on another fellas farm, hes on €16/hr flat rate which is decent money on the surface of it but when you take into account working weekends and bank holidays it doesnt be long shrinking. Great thing about him is that his job is secure for another ten years anyway unless something drastic happens whereas the construction secotor could go bellyup overnight here.

One other point too about construction rates im not sure is 100% or not but i thought a fella told me it happened the last crash that the CIF cut the rates back then i presume to keep more lads working but im not sure how true that is.

5.6% increase for a fitter would probably equatecto less than €20/week after the tax man has his bit gone from it too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Some hiding there for Manchester United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I don't know. I think Ronaldo going there was the worst thing for the club

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He should have gotten red card. Can see his frustration at the prospects of being on the loosing side too often.

Looking for advice on inbreeding

Have a cow who’s maternal grandfather in PTE, could I use the bull Loki who’s father is PTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

The resulting calf will only be 37.5% PTE, it’ll be grand.

Relation of mine passed away today, you never know what the day will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭emaherx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ain't that the truth..

Sorry for your loss herdquitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sorry for your loss, Herdquitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Sorry to hear Herd. Mind yourselves…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭green daries

Got a vomiting bug, never as sick in my life. From Sunday evening until after noon today a total write off. Nothing worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was at the ideal homes in the RDS yesterday. Complete waste of time. Reminded me of the crap tents at the ploughing selling rubbish or selling some mad product that was going to make life so much better.

Stopped in Liffey Valley on the way back and looked in the wallet and said I have enough for an Eddie Rockets. Queued up outside it as is the norm and after 20 minutes got to the front of the queue. Showed the cert, then had to produce photo ID. I'd nothing on me and didn't drive so no licence nearby. Screwed. Wasn't allowed in. I was fuming. Not at the fact they wanted ID which is fair enough I guess and it is in the way of working for indoor dining, but fuming at being left queuing for so long and then be turned away. A sign or something along the waiting area could have meant my time be better spent, and the 3 year old not be devastated he wasn't getting a bit of a milkshake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'd take Covid over the vomiting bug any day. Got the vomiting bug Xmas eve 18. Didn't leave the house for 4 days. Spent 2 full days driving the porcelain bus. No idea where I picked it up.

How do pregnant women tolerate morning sickness is a mystery to me. The thought of puking or even just feeling like it would be a great contraceptive for me.

Advertisement