Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

http://jrnl.ie/5263471t

35 locations pumping out raw untreated sewage.
    Wonder how many more are pumping out partly treated sewage which surely is just as bad for the environment.

_Brian wrote: »

Wonder how many more are pumping out partly treated sewage which surely is just as bad for the environment.

Saw something about the Aran Islands this morning in a link to the Irish Times, sewerage being pumped into an SAC that both the EPA, NPWS, and CC have been made away of for years via 6 monthly reports from people inc photos.

If it was something from a farm going into an SAC the farmer would be in court.

Saw something about the Aran Islands this morning in a link to the Irish Times, sewerage being pumped into an SAC that both the EPA, NPWS, and CC have been made away of for years via 6 monthly reports from people inc photos.

If it was something from a farm going into an SAC the farmer would be in court.

Water and sewage charges were badly needed but sadly their implementation was fumbled badly at the time. There was too much emphasis on creating Irish water and not enough on training people to the notion of paying for services.

If they had started with a flat fee of €5/month to acclimatise people to paying that could have been built on. Stupidly they went in spending millions on Irish water and meters and gave too much ammunition to the “hell no we won’t pay” brigade.

Be a long time before water and sewage charges can be attempted again.

Water and sewage charges were badly needed but sadly their implementation was fumbled badly at the time. There was too much emphasis on creating Irish water and not enough on training people to the notion of paying for services.

If they had started with a flat fee of €5/month to acclimatise people to paying that could have been built on. Stupidly they went in spending millions on Irish water and meters and gave too much ammunition to the “hell no we won’t pay” brigade.

Be a long time before water and sewage charges can be attempted again.

Bitter Pill and his "trickle", pissing people off was a great idea. Mind you he was consistent given his comments re some payments that it'd be embarrassing for him if farmers didn't take them. Thick to the last.

Coincidentally, there are photos of a CC sludge tanker in Kilkenny discharging sludge into a farmers ditch on FB. No doubt had they not been photo'd that farmer would be hung for it.

Govt wastes enough money, to have people pay for water they need to offer a quality supply first. Some of the water around the country you wouldn't drink even it it were boiled. Our villages water comes from such a distance it's laughable, the former supply lake is grown in as it's surrounded by septic tanks, wonder who gave permission for them!

Bitter Pill and his "trickle", pissing people off was a great idea. Mind you he was consistent given his comments re some payments that it'd be embarrassing for him if farmers didn't take them. Thick to the last.

Coincidentally, there are photos of a CC sludge tanker in Kilkenny discharging sludge into a farmers ditch on FB. No doubt had they not been photo'd that farmer would be hung for it.

Govt wastes enough money, to have people pay for water they need to offer a quality supply first. Some of the water around the country you wouldn't drink even it it were boiled. Our villages water comes from such a distance it's laughable, the former supply lake is grown in as it's surrounded by septic tanks, wonder who gave permission for them!

Anyone not receiving drinkable water should have half the feed waived but people need to pay for services, simple as.

• Advertisement

Anyone not receiving drinkable water should have half the feed waived but people need to pay for services, simple as.

Not so simple to my mind, in Ireland we often see things "let slide", "kick the can down the road", so putting in a charge for a substandard service could be something people pay for for decades without improvement.

There seems to be plenty of money to sink into pet projects, like something that hasn't been mentioned in a while, a childrens hospital in the wrong place, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

35 locations??

That's a joke - i bet you its 4 or 5 times that amount.

for a fact my local village has no waste treatment plant or anything even resembling it and it's nowhere to be seen on that map.

In fact there is a distinct lack of red dots in the entire middle of the country.

I reckon they are vastly underestimating the issue

Another issue is staff training. I know a lad works for a private company, he went on a training that had CC employees. He said their attitude to chemicals was frightening, they hadn't a clue as how to properly calculate the correct amounts.

I can safely say I believe him, as often turning on the tap here you can "smell" the water.

Sure thats just the goal of all free market capitalists since the first corporations had to be forced by law to stop maiming children in their factories

Just as an FYI

https://twitter.com/LouiseStephen9/status/1326825891763163136?s=20

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It'd be interesting to see a map of rivers overlaid on top of the red dots, as in are the villages/towns leaving the sh*te run into just the sea or into rivers as well.

It's river catchment areas that farmers are usually blamed for

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Robert Downey junior and other actors etc with big followings are coming in behind this stuff as well, no doubt lining their own pockets along the way

It'd be interesting to see a map of rivers overlaid on top of the red dots, as in are the villages/towns leaving the sh*te run into just the sea or into rivers as well.

It's river catchment areas that farmers are usually blamed for

You would need to include treatment systems not 100% treating waste on that map. That would be very interesting to see indeed.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Robert Downey junior and other actors etc with big followings are coming in behind this stuff as well, no doubt lining their own pockets along the way

No doubt the sheep will follow too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It's the celebrities like that who live furtherest away from the real world. They probably feel a sense of guilt too and so try to help save the world - just as long as it's not the world they live in :)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He always fancied alternative crops, up his nose.

It's the celebrities like that who live furtherest away from the real world. They probably feel a sense of guilt too and so try to help save the world - just as long as it's not the world they live in :)

Speaking of the real world, take a look at RDJ's David Letterman interview on My Next Guest Needs No Introduction, there's livestock!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

greysides wrote: »

There's a bit about the pearl mussel on ear to the ground this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Seems the majority of them empties into the sea or estuary waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

NcdJd wrote: »
    There's a bit about the pearl mussel on ear to the ground this evening.

England are playing Ireland tonight at 8 in soccer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whelan2 wrote: »

I would say the NI and Scotland matches are of more interest sadly:( - the latter looking good atm but the former are behind after a bad mistake by defender

whelan2 wrote: »

Well should I ask how the match is going ? Ettg had a fella on that has Piedmont cattle. His original plan was to breed them and send them back to Italy for fattening ? But the cattle had irish tags so the Italians wouldn't give him the price that Italian tagged equivalents would get. So he's doing sausages, steak and some sort of Italian thing. The beef is 1% fat and less cholesterol than chicken apparently. Very interesting.

The pearl water mussel thing was good. Farmers doing the conservation work.

https://www.blackcastlefarm.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well should I ask how the match is going ? Ettg had a fella on that has Piedmont cattle. His original plan was to breed them and send them back to Italy for fattening ? But the cattle had irish tags so the Italians wouldn't give him the price that Italian tagged equivalents would get. So he's doing sausages, steak and some sort of Italian thing. The beef is 1% fat and less cholesterol than chicken apparently. Very interesting.

The pearl water mussel thing was good. Farmers doing the conservation work.

Probably the best ETTG in a long while, all EU countries favour their own produce, a lot of farmers find it hard to get their head around this problem. Prices here compare favourably considering that prejudice

wrangler wrote: »
    Probably the best ETTG in a long while, all EU countries favour their own produce, a lot of farmers find it hard to get their head around this problem. Prices here compare favourably considering that prejudice

Lovely looking cattle. Fair play to him. Lovely scenery with the pearl mussels. Enjoyed it tonight myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lovely looking cattle. Fair play to him. Lovely scenery with the pearl mussels. Enjoyed it tonight myself.

Pearl mussels are amazing, 100 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Brother had Pied 30 yrs ago. I bought the dairy cross bred heifers in calf as sucklers. He gave them up as too difficult in calving on dairy cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    Brother had Pied 30 yrs ago. I bought the dairy cross bred heifers in calf as sucklers. He gave them up as too difficult in calving on dairy cows.

I'm not sure if it's representative of the breed or not.
    But a local breeder nearly got killed by a Pied bull.

I'm not sure if it's representative of the breed or not.
    But a local breeder nearly got killed by a Pied bull.

Apologies they are Piedmontese cattle. Not sure if that makes any difference. They are all just different colours to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Apologies they are Piedmontese cattle. Not sure if that makes any difference. They are all just different colours to me :D

Just saving letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

Water John wrote: »

Super sucklers. Crossed them to a blue in the past. Great calves off that cross. The piedmotese on it's own is too hard get fat scores on.

Advertisement