Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Grueller wrote: »
    Super sucklers. Crossed them to a blue in the past. Great calves off that cross. The piedmotese on it's own is too hard get fat scores on.

The pure bred Pied is a very lean animal, tbh they remind me of a grey hound but I'd say they'd cross very well with the blue. I'd imagine the exporters would have been your main customers? The problem with breeds outside of the old reliables like CH or LM is that domestic farmer customers can be slow enough to buy them as they are a kind of unknown. If you brought a bundle of Aubrac or Pied or similar type good quality weanlings into a mart locally you'd find it hard to sell them compared to the equivalent CH or LM simply because they were out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah don't know, Speckled Park seem to be selling fine. Vet tells me used a good bit in NI, SP that is.

Water John wrote: »
    Ah don't know, Speckled Park seem to be selling fine. Vet tells me used a good bit in NI, SP that is.

The SP have gotten very popular in recent years especially as a sire on dairy cow's. Up to 5 year's ago it was unusual to see one but there common place now. Most of the examples I see would be bred off dairy cow's and are mostly very average quality. Suckler bred SP's would still be in the minority locally.

Is there any stockist's of Clipex posts in Sligo/Leitrim? I could do with a dozen but a quick Google only shows a few places in the south selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The pure bred Pied is a very lean animal, tbh they remind me of a grey hound but I'd say they'd cross very well with the blue. I'd imagine the exporters would have been your main customers? The problem with breeds outside of the old reliables like CH or LM is that domestic farmer customers can be slow enough to buy them as they are a kind of unknown. If you brought a bundle of Aubrac or Pied or similar type good quality weanlings into a mart locally you'd find it hard to sell them compared to the equivalent CH or LM simply because they were out of the ordinary.

A fella told me he brought one in to mart and didn't even get bid for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is there any stockist's of Clipex posts in Sligo/Leitrim? I could do with a dozen but a quick Google only shows a few places in the south selling them.

I’d start with Tommy Cassidy or McCorry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’d start with Tommy Cassidy or McCorry

Would some stockists ship direct to you?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

Yep. Garavallis man locally here used to eat me alive for them. They all bred out eventually though as milk couldn't be kept in the breed. I used suffer for fat scores as well on the cull cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wrangler wrote: »

On the use of Iodine in treating navels and wounds etc - especially horses - afaik it's recommended to use the lower strength Iodines as very strong solutions can have ad adverse effect on healing. Generally use 5% w/v one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

gozunda wrote: »
    On the use of Iodine in treating navels and wounds in animals - especially horses - afaik it's recommended to use the lower strength Iodines as very strong solutions can have ad adverse effect on healing. Generally use 5% w/v one

We have always used the 10% neat on navels. Vet advised against Iodine because it is sweet and cows lick it off causing injury to the calf. He advised chlorahexidine - the cow licked that off too.

I accidentally snagged my finger at a calving, the iodine fairly stung on the cut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Iodine that is too strong can devitalise tissue increasing the risk of an infection. I've seen iodine spray use that I believed was causing a reaction in the navel leading to a swollen ending. It crossed my mind that the farm might be in a low iodine area as the same sprays elsewhere weren't causing problems.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We have always used the 10% neat on navels. Vet advised against Iodine because it is sweet and cows lick it off causing injury to the calf. He advised chlorahexidine - the cow licked that off too.

I accidentally snagged my finger at a calving, the iodine fairly stung on the cut.

Chlorahexidine works much better in lambs any way, we found the navel dried too quick with iodine and seemed to crack the navel. chlorahexidine wasn't as sever and much less joint ill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just wondering if anyone following the SmallholderIRL account on the twitterbox can tell me if it's a real account or just a parody account?

Because if it's real, it's hilarious this week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Just wondering if anyone following the SmallholderIRL account on the twitterbox can tell me if it's a real account or just a parody account?

Yes, yer one has a few screws loose....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s a mostly interesting account week on week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s a mostly interesting account week on week.

This one ticks ALL the boxes, I think:D

https://twitter.com/SmallholderIRL/status/1327200369601032192?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

Fella in clare in ennis town will courier them but carrige is expensive for a smaller order something to do with weight and pallet sizes .
    A lot of the coop stores have them in bundles of 5but their far more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes it’s a bit special, my feed has been filtering out much of it, and I’ve muted thee term vegan and all associated terms including their popular food substitutes. That’s helped my Twitter “bigly” as the Donald would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Glanbia Stores have them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I noticed on fb a lot of friends have burpdays this week, wtf happened 9 months ago, then it all fell into place;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Fella in clare in ennis town will courier them but carrige is expensive for a smaller order something to do with weight and pallet sizes .
    A lot of the coop stores have them in bundles of 5but their far more expensive

Used to courier 2 metre length stuff, once its over a pallet length its a double as it takes two pallet spaces in the lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

An ancient stone knocked over by a bull, some hippies and what the National Monument Service did next 

https://thestreetjournal.org/2020/11/investigation-launched-after-cork-standing-stone-reinstated-by-farmer-and-druids/

There's a lesson to be learned there I think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

An ancient stone knocked over by a bull, some hippies and what the National Monument Service did next

https://thestreetjournal.org/2020/11/investigation-launched-after-cork-standing-stone-reinstated-by-farmer-and-druids/

I looked at the "Grove of Anu" website and can see that they have put up a handy disclaimer at the end of the story..

https://groveofanu.com/the-faerie-stone/

He should have just put it back standing and said nothing to anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Don't be using Dutch Druids??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

greysides wrote: »
    Iodine that is too strong can devitalise tissue increasing the risk of an infection. I've seen iodine spray use that I believed was causing a reaction in the navel leading to a swollen ending. It crossed my mind that the farm might be in a low iodine area as the same sprays elsewhere weren't causing problems.

Very interesting your reference to iodine devitalising tissue.. My own personal experience is that applying neat 10% strength iodine to early stage actinic keratosis is effective in staving it off, though this has never been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Katie Taylor fight starting soon.
    If you don't have Sky, itslive on youtube.
    https://youtu.be/5llW0vUxdCk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Nekarsulm wrote: »

She has unreal speed.

I was lucky enough to be at her Olympic gold medal fight in London. Was with my OH, my dad and one of my brothers. We got to meet Jimmy McGee on the way to do the commentary and dad got a photo with him. Twas such a happy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    She's some boxer. Even in slow motion, she looks fast.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

wrangler wrote: »

We still have one. However now we use a simpler system which has a gallon jar and a dispenser similar but cheaper to the new Zealand made Peta pump:

http://www.peta.co.nz/dispensers/multi-purpose-dispenser/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

She's some boxer. Even in slow motion, she looks fast.

that spanish lass took some hits and still lasted the 10 rounds

katie completely different to her amateur days , her boxing skills and speed are unreal

Advertisement