Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Maybe I should have said religions, rather than priests…

Either way - give money to whoever you want. I don’t like donating to any charity with a religious bent…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A cousin in the north, that I'm close to, invited me to his daughters wedding during the summer, OH wouldn't chance it as she had only one vaccine so we declined, A cousin who was at the wedding sent photos and mentioned there was a barbeque at the brides house the next day.

We crashed the party and got a huge welcome, at the end he was thanking me for coming and I said that our age we don't know who'll be missing teh next time we meet and we should make every effort to meet up ....... thinking of his 90 year old mother.

His brother phoned during the week to say he has only weeks to live, so everyone should make every effort to party.

I was delighted that I met him for a meal six weeks ago when I went to Balmoral show

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

A neighbour of mine used to manage the local Agri store which at the time was part of one of the large Co-ops. As manager he'd occasionally have regional meetings and other functions to attend. He kept a small suckler herd alongside the day job. A cow lost her calf at calving one year and he lamented the loss and blamed it on his absence due to whatever reason. He decided to bull her again for the following year and did just that.

Roll on to the next year and the cow was approaching calving again. The same evening there was some sort of a regional meeting in relation to the day job but our man decided he wouldn't attend in case misfortune would strike a second time. When he didn't show up for work the next morning we knew something must have happened.

After a search we discovered him collapsed at the rear of the house. Sadly he'd suffered a massive heart attack and died instantly at some point in the previous 24 hour's. He was probably in the process of checking the cow when it happened and we don't know if she was calved or not at the time. Either way he had lamented the loss of the calf the year before and of course never suspected that the following year the calf would live and he wouldn't be around to see it. It's a strange world and no one knows what lies ahead.

Must be awful to die on your own, I'd hope your neighbour knew nothing about it, he was gone that quick.

My cousin was a very fit doctor , he climbed Mount Everest to Base Camp twice with different sons in the last 6 -7 years and just after walking some of the mourne mountains in august, he was diagnosed three weeks ago and not expected to last many more weeks, he's 60,... tough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭straight

Probably didn't have time to go to the doctor because he had to mind the cows. Farming can be a curse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Local farmer died last week , he headed off to check the cattle in his tractor, his daughter could hear the revs getting weaker and weaker on the tractor and when she got to him he was dead , nice way to go

Are ye all off to Dublin today...

IFA have a family day out / protest.

Oh, actually that's next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Just saw a post for a shoebox appeal in Sydney being organised within the Irish community there itcsaid strictly no religous or political literature to be included.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Twas for adults in the Royal Prince Albert Mental Health Facility IIRC a local cause wouldnt be one bit sure about what the guidelines for childrens shoeboxes are but id imagine there similat.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Fellas, I'd like to do up some plans online or some kind of free software just to visualise what I'm talking about.

Not looking for anything with a high degree of accuracy, just something I can use that would show in proportion and be able get rough area measurements etc.

Bonus for something visually appealling, rather than just lines and boxes..ability to add shading, hatches etc.

I have kind of been using excel but it's a bit cumbersome and have to do manual calcs on dimensions etc.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,580 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The crowd will not be.much bigger next week😅😅

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd prefer to die quickly and on my own than to be faced with what you're cousin has been dealt. I don't honestly know how you could attempt to come to terms with that.

It was before my time but my paternal grandfather went through something similar. He was diagnosed with cancer shortly after retiring out of the mines and given a prognosis of 6-9 month's. Family members tell me he deteriorated every day and was dead in 4 month's. It doesn't bear thinking about, you'd need to be a very strong person and have great support around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I often wonder once ya know it's terminal does the rot set in quicker. If ya were none the wiser as to the terminal part would ya fight on better?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

From what I have seen, I think there is something important to have notice, it's helpful.

In the cases of many cancers I believe that plenty of morphine is better than treatment to add a few weeks or months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,580 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

TBH many cancers are now very treatable. It all about early diagnosis. Unfortunately because if COVID over the last 18-20 months many went undetected fir which there will be negative outcomes.

50 years ago most cancers were probably better left undisturbed. My Grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer in her early sixties and refused treatment. It killed her in the end....however she was 88 years by the time it did and it never really impacted on her quality of life.

But now medical advances have with early intervention made many types very curable, breast cancer, ovarian, kidney, tumors, prostate etc.

On prostate I remember a lad once saying to a few of us at work that as men if you lived forever the prostate would get you in the end.

It really a matter of going for yearly checkups and if you notice anything really unusual as you get older get it checked out early rather than later.

Slava Ukrainii

I don't know how you'd get your head arround it either, I can't believe , being a doctor that it was so advanced when diagnosed.

I found my own mother dead on her kitchen floor, six mths after my father dying and I know I was numb for a couple weeks after .I wasn't upset at the funeral or anything. A fortnight later it was a different story

I think your body protects you, that it's part of shock ,.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My mum died earlier this year, 8 weeks from driving her car and doing her regular jobs, got a pain, went to doctor, buried in 8 weeks.

Spent 3 nights in hospital when she was having investigations and then we nursed her at home. There were 7 of us, family and we had three with her 24hrs a day for the 8 weeks. We sat with her so she could chat and have a cuppa and a smoke at any hour of the day she wanted it as she couldn’t eat. It was very hard but the chats and laughs I had sitting with her through the night when she couldn’t sleep with the pain are priceless memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

My mother here is going through heavy chemo at the moment with lung cancer. It's tough going, she has rallied and is in far better form than she was last January. Like you Brian, I spend as much time as I can now at the kitchen table with her as it is the hub of the house and where she always is.

Many little things in the yard, and I was always fierce fussy about a neat yard, are not nearly as tidy because of the time spent with Mam. They can be tidied up after the dreaded day comes and goes.

It puts EVERYTHING into perspective. I lost a cow last week with a twisted gut and my first thought was, at least its not Mam.

My dad dropped dead walking across the street, was dead instantly with a massive heart attack. I’d no idea when I left him two hours earlier that it would be the last time I’d casually say good bye expecting to see him the next day.

66 years old, just 9 months into his pension. Heavy set man but was fit his whole life with a haul of 40+ gold Ulster medals and two all ireland golds.

Going quick isn’t easy either

Jeeasssus lads kilnaskully came on after Fittest Family there. It’s beyond awful, Christ on a bike it’s cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Deub

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Some night in Lux!! - sounds like a home game!!😎

Another clean sheet. Great save by Bazunu in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I lost a cow last week with a twisted gut and my first thought was, at least its not Mam.

Whenever there is a loss on the farm here 2 things are said:

1. Better outside than inside
    2. They can't all live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My dad was given 3months with his brain tumour. He wanted to be alive for my eldest child’s christening which was 7 months away. He ended up surviving about 9 months. I was praying for death at the end and was relieved when he did. It was the hardest time we ever had to experience up to that time and is in the top two still.

I remember stressing over him wanting to draw in bales and I was afraid he would drive over a cliff… rang the dr and it said it would be a release from what’s in front of him. I blocked the farm roads off and told the neighbours and family to steer clear for a few hours and he drew home a bale.,took an hour for 2km run. He went into bed happy that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

That was a lovely thing for him Kollege and a credit to you and also to your neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Recently got moocall, got a message this morning they recommend charging, it at 70%

Should I ignore until <20% or do as per recommendation?

Advertisement