Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Will Galway bate Mayo! Usually be at hay not feeding hay at Connacht final time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Will Galway bate Mayo! Usually be at hay not feeding hay at Connacht final time!

Not if they have willie Joe, they haven't a hope of bateing mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The younger brother borrowed my angle grinder and returned it broken. Think it’s a wiring issue. Wonder would it be worth fixing. It’s a 2008 hitatchi 9”. They are only about €130 to replace- although I’ve to check the W.

It was a great grinder, I was hoping to go working with it today. Neither a borrower or a lender be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The younger brother borrowed my angle grinder and returned it broken. Think it’s a wiring issue. Wonder would it be worth fixing. It’s a 2008 hitatchi 9”. They are only about €130 to replace- although I’ve to check the W.

It was a great grinder, I was hoping to go working with it today. Neither a borrower or a lender be.
    Often the lead gets a hard tug and can crack at the clamp inside the handle or could be pulled out of the switch terminals. Also check the fuse. Some people are dog rough with gear.

Often the lead gets a hard tug and can crack at the clamp inside the handle or could be pulled out of the switch terminals. Also check the fuse. Some people are dog rough with gear.

I did both to no effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Check the brushes?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I did both to no effect.

Pop out the brushes and see if they are ok.
    Sometimes they just need replacing but sometimes they just get stuck.

You can get brushes online for a few bob

Could be that too. I’ll have a look. Thanks very much.

Might buy one also- handy to have to spare to loan out. Can’t not loan things while my mother is alive or I’d be listening to the moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

What is the vat rate if buying a tractor from the north and does it cost much to get the cleared here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Murang wrote: »
    What is the vat rate if buying a tractor from the north and does it cost much to get the cleared here

Vat rate in the North is 20%. If you're vat registered here, you don't pay any vat in the North then, though the vendor will require your irish vat number.
    The vrt is €200 here in the south.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I recently got 2 grinders, big 9" and small 4", hikoki (hitachi) for €138 delivered. From NI if i remember right, advertised on DD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had one of those days today. Had to work this morning in the rain. Cold and miserable went in for the dinner. Noticed a cow had passed some slime. Checked her and noticed pins down some bit. She not due for another 10 days. Came back out and she had calved in the sh1te. Hardy little Lodge hamlet heifer. Calving area not ready so had to go inthe pouring rain and get gates a mile away. Had planned to do all this tomorrow. You'd get really sick of it some times.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Had one of those days today. Had to work this morning in the rain. Cold and miserable went in for the dinner. Noticed a cow had passed some slime. Checked her and noticed pins down some bit. She not due for another 10 days. Came back out and she had calved in the sh1te. Hardy little Lodge hamlet heifer. Calving area not ready so had to go inthe pouring rain and get gates a mile away. Had planned to do all this tomorrow. You'd get really sick of it some times.

This time of year is the worst - wet, miserable, cold, short grey days, and no end in sight. Xmas should be brought forward to 25-Nov

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

This time of year is the worst - wet, miserable, cold, short grey days, and no end in sight. Xmas should be brought forward to 25-Nov
    Was thinking this evening we've another 5 weeks of this ****e until the days start getting longer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was thinking this evening we've another 5 weeks of this ****e until the days start getting longer

I’m always happy when November is passed. Countdown can start then to Xmas, New Year, brighter evenings, lambing/calving. But nothing happens on most farms in November only feeding, slogging and rain. And sh*te days like Patsy had today

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Shortest evening the 12 Dec after that it's the mornings that get darker until.21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

dzer2 wrote: »
    Shortest evening the 12 Dec after that it's the mornings that get darker until.21st.

Yep, almost there. keep the head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hows the calf now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I’m always happy when November is passed. Countdown can start then to Xmas, New Year, brighter evenings, lambing/calving. But nothing happens on most farms in November only feeding, slogging and rain. And sh*te days like Patsy had today

You must have forgotten feeding the ewes and lambs through the first two months of this year........remember the rain and lack of grass :D
    A neighbour tells me that if you're getting out of sheep you should sell them in may while you can still remember the lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is it doing anything?

I'd at least open it up, check fuse, connections, brushes and clean the commutator. Sometimes a blast with an air pistol or contact cleaner can get them going or going to the point where you can see where the issue is.

If its 2008 you might find that brushes are gone - especially if you've not replaced them yet. I think some devices have something that prevents usage when brushes wear down beyond a certain point.

If it appears to be 'dead' I'd check in this order:

1. Fuse
    2. Power cord
    3. Brushes/Commutator
    4. On/Off switch

Edit: Just realised you said 9" grinder. Does this grinder have a soft start? Might be that the capacitors have gone for this feature - I'm not 100% sure if that will inhibit start or just the soft start feature. But something else to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Noticed some folk near my parents place in Naas have the Tree up already - too early IMO, as a child the tradition was not to install the Tree until Dec 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Did u see that programme 2nite on the Leinster Final in 2010 that Meath robbed from Louth?? - not suprised that Ref was never seen again in Croker as it was probably the worst deceision ever seen on a Gaa pitch!!:mad:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Did u see that programme 2nite on the Leinster Final in 2010 that Meath robbed from Louth?? - not suprised that Ref was never seen again in Croker as it was probably the worst deceision ever seen on a Gaa pitch!!:mad:

I had erased that day from my memory......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You can blame Birdnuts if you can't sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The main sproket thingie in the diet feeder wrung earlier today as we just started feeding. OH and I spent most of the morning in the bowels of the feeder forking out the feed over the side.

I'm feckin getting too old and worn out for dealing with this **** but I love rearing, feeding and breeding cattle :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Water John wrote: »

What's this? You mean Louth actually played in Croke Park?:P

Looks promising for Limerick this year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Water John wrote: »

reminded me of the poet Brendan Kennelly

“I still wake up in the middle of the night shouting ‘**** you Jackson’” . He then added with that wonderful lilt of his, “You can overcome a bad marriage, you can grapple with and overcome alcoholism, but you’ll never get over losing an All-Ireland Final.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Hows the calf now?

She's hardy out. Problem is cow just wanted to lay down and calf is so small she can actually stand in under cows belly and drink. I was afraid she'd lay down on top of her. I tried that thing where you rub the calf's nose to get it to suck (someone put it up on a video a while back). It seems to work as calf started to dig the cow's udder.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Base price wrote: »
    The main sproket thingie in the diet feeder wrung earlier today as we just started feeding. OH and I spent most of the morning in the bowels of the feeder forking out the feed over the side.

I'm feckin getting too old and worn out for dealing with this **** but I love rearing, feeding and breeding cattle :)

Should of rolled it over with the 50b.
    That's fair hardship all right.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »

Only on a sunday

Advertisement