Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I dont think the Vincent de Paul refuse anyone. Now, that can be good and a bad thing.

People will of course take advantage, but you don't know what peoples situations are behind closed doors either.

I used to think like you, that they gave it to too many undeserving people. But, maybe its cos I am older and maybe mellowing a bit - but I wouldn't have such an issue with them now. I know they might help lots who might not need the help, but then, they might help a family that were really struggling and were lost between the cracks.

I know tis never good to waste - but maybe its better to accept some money will be wasted, but some will go to good causes - than to stop helping altogether... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

It just gets taken advantage of like everything else. I know a guy and all his drinking buddies are on social welfare for life. They get money off VdP for pints.

On the other hand there is creatures struggling and going hungry and cold but would never even ask for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

i cannot fathom the amount of newish BMWs and audis around, they are two a penny. I’m happy enough in my run around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭green daries

It's unbelievable Even the missus is agog at it all and she likes to have a decent car as she calls it but there's people with great cars that just can't possibly afford them 😂

Maybe wrangler is right about the five months thing . there was definitely hunger and shortages behind closed doors round here the last burst. it was sad to hear as they would mostly be hard working and good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Social welfare needs a serious reform in this country. There is currently no incentive for people to come off of it. We have 3rd and 5th generation on it. Being in the workplace serves many personal and social benefits, build resilience, independence and reducing anti social issues

Before people come down on me for this opinion, I have no issue with supporting people when they need it, but the issue is that we need to encourage people to the workforce. The only way I can see this happening is a sliding scale depending on how long you are claiming. Secondly more inspections into people claiming.

Finally supporting people returning to the workforce is key

• Advertisement

**** that was bad form have been told there's a lot of swindling going on with people alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

I agree. There’s no incentive to come off social welfare, in fact a lot of the time people end up worse off by coming off it so you can’t blame them for staying on it.

A sliding scale is definitely needed. It doesn’t seem fair that someone working all their lives and paying their mortgage, childcare etc. could lose their job, maybe after 20 or 30 years of paying tax and PRSI, and they end up with the same amount as someone on the dole all their lives.

I’d love to see a scale whereby if someone loses their job then the dole is a percentage of their average wage over the past 12 months up to a certain limit. This would give people a chance to stay paying their mortgage etc while finding a new job. After say 2 or 3 months the rate should be reduced and stay reducing it every few months until after about 18 months or so it’s down to €100 per week or something like that.

The rates and timeframes could be reviewed based on economic circumstances and job availability etc. but it would have to be a better system than what’s in place at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We need people to keep splashing for new motors so there are affordable second had cars about for the ordinary people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Back in the day it was who was friends with the VdP that got looked after, much better than those that genuinely needed it. In my example above, the general run was 5/10 bags but some families got way more for no reason other than being buddies.

And we never refused them what they asked for. They decided that they wouldn't ask anymore. Then went around telling people our prices went up and they not paying a cent (or penny as it was in the mid 80s) at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Our local branch had a lovely lady over it for years, only the needy looked after and she knew who really needed help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A lot depends on the local organisation, and who oversees it.

I worked in house letting and sales, and the VdeP would sometimes guarantee a bond to cover someone's deposit on a rental property.

Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it went horribly wrong.

I remember one couple who didn't pay electric bill for 6 months, and got cut off in December.

All of a sudden it was everyone's fault but their own, and with a bit of pleading they were re-connected in 36 hours.

In paying their rent the next month, I asked how things were with the ESB.

"Ah, it worked out well" he says.

"We told the V de P the landlord cut us off, and all our food in the fridge and freezer was ruined. They give us a €300 voucher for SuperValu"

Needless to say, no food was spoiled.

Same pair went into two months rent arrears because there were two big name software releases one month, and "we wanted to be the first ones in Cavan to play those games"

Games were almost the same cost as a months rent each...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I had to get a pair of school trousers from the uniform shop , I ordered them and the lady rang me this morning to say they were in. She said they'd be closing at one. I said I'd collect them on Monday. She said no we're closing at 1 for Christmas, back open 10th January....wouldn’t that be a nice long break?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you didn't get lambasted for that maybe I'll take your glory..

A farmer goes on farm assist. They have to do community service. So everyone knows they're on farm assist.

An Irish ethnic minority who is full-time on the dole can sit at home laughing at the farmer doing community work. They don't even ask them to do the community work.

The value of doing a day's work is more than just financial, there is a sense of well-being that it gives a person and build a work ethic. I feel SW payments should have you having to do an element of community work as requirement of getting payment

The more I think about it, there is a serious opening for a centre right party in this Country. Peter Casey tapped into something in the presidential election

Are you confusing farm assist with the rural social scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I’d agree completely. Supposedly fg and ff are centre right. IMO There definitely needs to be a move from the left leaning ways of recent policies but it looks to be going the opposite way unfortunately

Do they not have to work on farm assist?

I don't know that's why I'm asking.

Someone working in the community told me the above of farmers and long term unemployed.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on this.

I'm not going to swear to it, but I think farm assist is means tested without a requirement to do community work. I believe there's an option of working, which could be the RSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Centre right in name but well left of centre in policy and actions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

I wouldn't agree. I remember when I was working on a dairy farm in Cork being told of local farmers wife spending a fortune on furniture for a new house! One of the beds alone cost a small fortune. I even see it around my parents place. Mansions with water fountains in the middle of the garden and the oul cattle truck abandoned outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Aye thats true enough however the houses are most likely inherited, came with the farm or bought and paid for. They can afford to spend it and could have worked and saved until there 50s to splash out i dont know the situation everyones is different. The fella im working with has a young family hed be on €66K gross (maybe a bit more even) company van aswell plus his OH works a bit aswell. He whinges about not being able to afford to buy in an expensive area of Dublin yet he spent €50k on a wedding(straight from the horses mouth) has a lads holiday every year aswell as the family holiday, theres €50/week mimimum gone on gambling most weeks too he has a newish car on finance that only really gets driven on a sunday afternoon at best just to be seen as a flash f#cker. Ill be on those figures yet myself maybe a company van someday but by god if meself and a few of the other lads down here were on a package like that ye wouldnt hardly think it at all to look at us i reckon.

Better living everyone

Guards are going to have more work to do now at horse race meets across the country.

The government looks to be bringing in laws that make it illegal to fly drones over the racecourse when the races are on.

Currently what was happening was gamblers had drones up over the races livestreaming it back. The television coverage is not so live. Not sure if it's a minute or seconds out of sync. But it is lucrative to have a drone up for in race betting.

There are jammers out there that can block the signal from drones making it uncontrollable or maybe just loose signal and return to base. But anyway guards will have their own drones now to spot the vehicle where the drone came from or else be tearing around the course to see where its going home to.

I'd say the same if it were sheep, or beef, or tillage or......

Couldn't help but note a tweet on the young farmer of the year finalists, 4 out of the 5 are dairy farmers, and a token horticulturist.

Incredibly interesting for dairy farmers no doubt, but yanno, for the rest of us 😴

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Would prefer to see more sheep farmers myself of course 😉

But is it a more fair representation of the stats of young farmers I wonder Herd, with the majority dairy farmers?

Could be, but it'd be nice to see some diversity of enterprises too.

Not particularly interesting 😉 and yes it's ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I only saw last week episode of Bungalow Bliss. The comparison between the houses was immense. They failed to show the rest of the bedrooms last night. It must have been a 4 bedroom house. The Bunk bed room was the former sitting room now more or less a sleepover room.

Would I pay 500 k for it. I would seriously consider it, if it was within the area I lived in. Now I have no grandkids or any on the way but the biggest issue would be they would never leave the place, good thing or bad thing I am not sure. At present prices after selling my own place I be 100k ish at present prices short

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Farm assist is indeed means tested and desperately strictly enforced test too.

The Rural Social Scheme is open to any farming folk on any means tested payment not just Farm Assist, it’s not linked in any way to Farm Assist or any other payment, participants get a small top up on their payment but it’s insignificant really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Found the Rat. A big fat one. Starter smelling yesterday and I went searching. It was on the filter of the air conditioning unit. Fair scrubbing got and I’ll have to get a new filter when in town today.

Advertisement