Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

_Brian wrote: »
    Knew an elderly couple who would head to bed early.

They would bring a flask and ham sandwiches with them for a late night snack.

Ah god that’s brilliant:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Ah god that’s brilliant:D

Yea.
    Was a busy house with their son , daughter in law and I think Six kids in a four bedroom house. Saved them bothering anyone. Both lived into late eighties god bless them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Yellowstone is a great tv series at the end of the day.

Well written, great characters, good actors, rough out, nice scenery, relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

My nephew had a serious accident with a skil saw yesterday, four fingers on his left hand partially severed,
    He's facing a eight hour procedure in James' hospital this morning, he was only 5mins from Portlaoise hospital and but for their treatment, james' claimed they wouldn't be able to save the fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Hopefully all go goes well. ðŸ™

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mayota wrote: »
    Hopefully all go goes well. ðŸ™

+1
    Happens so quick, lad that fitted our kitchen had only 1 finger on his left hand. Medicine has come a long way since, hopefully he'll get full use back.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »
    My nephew had a serious accident with a skil saw yesterday, four fingers on his left hand partially severed,
    He's facing a eight hour procedure in James' hospital this morning, he was only 5mins from Portlaoise hospital and but for their treatment, james' claimed they wouldn't be able to save the fingers

I know 2 lads that have had similar accidents but were not lucky enough to be able to have them re attached. He will have a long road of physio and rehab I would imagine.
    Best of luck to him and all of the family because the worry for his parents, wife, children etc will be tough on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

That's tough hope the operation goes well. Long road ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Happened myself back nearly 30 years ago ,it has to be said some doctors are genesis at there work .If the tendons are not damaged ,the fingers will come perfect

Mad notion of a walk after the dinner.
    Very mild out.
    6-EF6-BCA9-CD05-421-A-9-B2-E-C463-F8-FBB276.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We bought a recently refurbished feeder today and it's a simular model to our old one. It has 3 paddles whereas our old one had 2. The outlet auger is also different. We're are going to keep the old on for spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    We bought a recently refurbished feeder today and it's a simular model to our old one. It has 3 paddles whereas our old one had 2. The outlet auger is also different. We're are going to keep the old on for spares.

Best of luck with it. Had you the old one long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Very mild out.

Don't go too deep in there lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. Had you the old one long?
    OH bought it second hand from a dairy farmer in 2005. Up until last Sunday it's never let us down. Hopefully it's replacement will stand up to the same work load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Very mild out.

Done that myself yesterday. Went out at 5.30pm done a walk around the fields for about 3 hours. Helps keep the exercise going.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Done that myself yesterday. Went out at 5.30pm done a walk around the fields for about 3 hours. Helps keep the exercise going.

I’d have to do an awful lot of loops to spend 3 hours walking here 😂😂

Local forest has been a boon over these lockdowns. I like the forest at night, it’s completely different experience.

I’d have to do an awful lot of loops to spend 3 hours walking here 😂😂

Local forest has been a boon over these lockdowns. I like the forest at night, it’s completely different experience.

Plenty of light pollution around here that helps!

Doing a challenge for November. 500000 steps for the month. Works out at around 17000 steps a day. Going well so far.

Doing a challenge for November. 500000 steps for the month. Works out at around 17000 steps a day. Going well so far.

Great idea. Once you wrap up well and bring a small pocket torch I find it helps if out in fields. I can't wait for the frosty clear nights.

Would you not do that much anyway on the farm

• Advertisement

Would you not do that much anyway on the farm

I would in the summer time , average around 14k in the winter, weekends I'd be lucky to have 10k. Getting around 20000 most days atm. Just pushing it a bit more.

That’s a great average.
    Well done.

An autumn tragedy

On an autumn day, October 13th 1927, a ‘dreadful destruction,’ took place in the townland of Trean, near Dunleer. Two young men who were engaged in threshing on the farm of Joseph Hoey were injured when a steam-engine exploded. The subsequent fire destroyed the ‘comfortable homestead’ of the Hoey family and the ‘produce of his year’s toil,’ that was being threshed was also lost. The young workers were both seriously ‘scalded’ and both later died. Dr. Donegan had attended and had taken both victims to Ardee Hospital by car. Their names were Thomas Campbell aged eighteen, of Mountainstown and Peter Watters, aged forty-six, of Doctor’s Lane, Dunleer. Peter Watters died on October 21st in Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital in Dublin, to where he had been later transferred, initially having been sent from Ardee to the Royal Eye and Ear Hospital also in Dublin. Thomas Campbell died in Ardee Hospital on October 24th.

Following the explosion, the fire in the steam-engine was, ‘shot into the air, scattering in all directions’, descending on the roof of the homestead, which, despite valiant efforts to save it, was completely destroyed, nothing being saved except part of the furniture’. The aftermath of the accident produced a scene of hellish dimensions, with dense steam and smoke enveloping the general area. This made it difficult to find the victims at first, especially Peter Watters, who was eventually found writhing in agony. Parts of the steam-engine were flung forty yards from the scene.

Robert Carney, a witness to the accident, told the inquest that he had been engaged in ‘feeding’ the threshing mill when a belt had broken on the mill and the machine was temporarily brought to a standstill. The belt had been repaired and work was about to resume when the explosion happened. John Campbell, father to one of the victims, told the inquest of how he had been drawing corn from his own field when he got word of the accident. A great fire was raging when he got to the scene. The ‘whole place’ was on fire. It was reported to him that the fire-box of the steam-engine had given way, the ‘crown had blown down out of it’ and set the place on fire. He said that Joseph Hoey and he were the owners of the mill. The steam engine belonged to William Craig of Mountpleasant, near Dundalk from whom they had hired it less than a fortnight ago. Nothing was insured.

James Carroll, another witness, told of how the threshing had begun at nine in the morning and continued until mid-day. Work resumed at one o clock and continued until the belt broke at two-thirty. Thomas Campbell, it emerged, was on the engine when the accident happened. Peter Watters was between the engine and the mill, working at the sacks. The Coroner advised that, ‘greater supervision ought to be exercised and machinery of this class should be frequently and carefully examined’. He noted that he had often seen ‘old engines travelling on the road that were apparently dangerous’.

The funerals took place from Saint Brigid’s Church, Dunleer. As the funeral of Thomas Campbell passed through Ardee, ‘all shops were closed and blinds were drawn in private houses’.

Would have been an awful sight

Things like that put everyday problems into perspective, hope the op went well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

An autumn tragedy

On an autumn day, October 13th 1927, a ‘dreadful destruction,’ took place in the townland of Trean, near Dunleer. Two young men who were engaged in threshing on the farm of Joseph Hoey were injured when a steam-engine exploded. The subsequent fire destroyed the ‘comfortable homestead’ of the Hoey family and the ‘produce of his year’s toil,’ that was being threshed was also lost. The young workers were both seriously ‘scalded’ and both later died. Dr. Donegan had attended and had taken both victims to Ardee Hospital by car. Their names were Thomas Campbell aged eighteen, of Mountainstown and Peter Watters, aged forty-six, of Doctor’s Lane, Dunleer. Peter Watters died on October 21st in Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital in Dublin, to where he had been later transferred, initially having been sent from Ardee to the Royal Eye and Ear Hospital also in Dublin. Thomas Campbell died in Ardee Hospital on October 24th.

Following the explosion, the fire in the steam-engine was, ‘shot into the air, scattering in all directions’, descending on the roof of the homestead, which, despite valiant efforts to save it, was completely destroyed, nothing being saved except part of the furniture’. The aftermath of the accident produced a scene of hellish dimensions, with dense steam and smoke enveloping the general area. This made it difficult to find the victims at first, especially Peter Watters, who was eventually found writhing in agony. Parts of the steam-engine were flung forty yards from the scene.

Robert Carney, a witness to the accident, told the inquest that he had been engaged in ‘feeding’ the threshing mill when a belt had broken on the mill and the machine was temporarily brought to a standstill. The belt had been repaired and work was about to resume when the explosion happened. John Campbell, father to one of the victims, told the inquest of how he had been drawing corn from his own field when he got word of the accident. A great fire was raging when he got to the scene. The ‘whole place’ was on fire. It was reported to him that the fire-box of the steam-engine had given way, the ‘crown had blown down out of it’ and set the place on fire. He said that Joseph Hoey and he were the owners of the mill. The steam engine belonged to William Craig of Mountpleasant, near Dundalk from whom they had hired it less than a fortnight ago. Nothing was insured.

James Carroll, another witness, told of how the threshing had begun at nine in the morning and continued until mid-day. Work resumed at one o clock and continued until the belt broke at two-thirty. Thomas Campbell, it emerged, was on the engine when the accident happened. Peter Watters was between the engine and the mill, working at the sacks. The Coroner advised that, ‘greater supervision ought to be exercised and machinery of this class should be frequently and carefully examined’. He noted that he had often seen ‘old engines travelling on the road that were apparently dangerous’.

The funerals took place from Saint Brigid’s Church, Dunleer. As the funeral of Thomas Campbell passed through Ardee, ‘all shops were closed and blinds were drawn in private houses’.

Would have been an awful sight

And unfortunately to this day similar things happen on farms.

Things like that put everyday problems into perspective, hope the op went well for him.

Yea they think they've saved three fingers, little finger is connected up but still at risk, it was only held on by the skin.
    He was in theatre from 12 noon to 9pm last night, seems in good form this morning thanks to morphine

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Omallep2

Yea they think they've saved three fingers, little finger is connected up but still at risk, it was only held on by the skin.
    He was in theatre from 12 noon to 9pm last night, seems in good form this morning thanks to morphine
    For what.its worth i cut my index finger off 16 years ago. They put severed finger back on and over the years the tendons repaired and I have full use. Hopefulky he will be fine

I don't know what thread to put this in so I'll just leave it here. Nice short piece about a man doing farming with horses. Not sure who I ended up watching it.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/2257-on-the-farm/642545-old-fashioned-farming-in-the-west/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I don't know what thread to put this in so I'll just leave it here. Nice short piece about a man doing farming with horses. Not sure who I ended up watching it.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/2257-on-the-farm/642545-old-fashioned-farming-in-the-west/

We're not in the West 🙈

• Advertisement

Jb1989 wrote: »
    We're not in the West 🙈

Found that odd alright.

Advertisement