Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’s horrendous to think that could happen at 4 o’clock in the day when the rest of us were all delighted to be enjoying a lovely bright sunny evening at the same time.

She is from the locality here and the whole place is in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Horrendous,Not from the area but was travelling that stretch of road and saw the two ambulances parked down along the canal.Assumed someone had did away with themselves. Met 5 or 6 squad cars, both marked and unmarked absolutely flying shortly after so assumed it was something more serious but couldn't fathom that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There was a woman similarly attacked while running locally last year, she was very lucky 2 lads came along and they apprehended the man until the guards came. She was very shaken after it. She did not know her attacker

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was thinking this morning that guy needs to be put into a waist deep slatted tank and the slats put back, cattle let back in.

must have been tough on the two ladies who disturbed him and found such a horrific scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Jb1989

If you could change a man's mindset, and extend the jail sentences for such crimes, it may be better than slatted tank thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The area that it happened is called Fionas' Way in memory of Fiona Pender that disappeared from Tullamore years ago and never found.

Hundreds of people walk that roadway every week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Yeah our families know each other very well. My patent were at her parents wedding and vice versa. Guards haven't released all the info of the attack either. Mental to think such a thing could happen in broad daylight. Wakes ya up to what is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Have a listen to the casefile podcast titled The Austrian Ripper and see how that panned out for them if you have the chance

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Looking for a labourer, with a safepass.

Anyone in the Midlands? Just a few days work. And not every day either.

Nenagh birr Area.

The amount of people who go for a run alone and assume they are safe. So young, her full life ahead of her

• Advertisement

This is true. Especially on a well travelled walking track

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t agree. Any person that could do something like that, (and the full story isn’t out in the media for obvious reasons) is if no value to anyone else in this world and something along Brian’s method is exactly what should be done.

If you don’t want to end up like that it’s very simple not too. 99% of the population are able to go about their lives without harming anyone. There’s too many do-gooders out to make excuses for the minority that do things like this when either locking them up for life or Brian’s method is what should be done. That prevents them from offending again and would be a proper deterrent for anyone else considering it.

I agree it's the thing to do, but it's mots going to happen anytime soon. Its a long time since the death penalty was allowed in this country, and will be along time before it is back.

Your opinions are valid and its a nice idea, but it's the same thinking every time there is a despicable crime, about the torture the criminal should recieve, its not going to happen, unless you and Brian are going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭straight

Well if that misfortunate girl was in my family I would find it hard to restrain myself. Thoughts with the girl, her family and friends. Things like this really put things in perspective.

Costing us €80k a year each to store these criminals, that’s €80k that should be spent on law abiding folk.

Saw a lad today mulching a field of rushes with an EX130 and mulching head.

new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Horrendous - let's hope it's the right one charged. I can't get the current RTE series out of my head, the injustice meeted out to innocent young lads, "Crime & Confessions" and the "heavy gang" of the 70s and 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My brother was one number away from the €19 million last night. Only €751 fecking euro, he won

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

We gathered up €126 between us yesterday and got €27 back, may gather up a bit again tomorrow.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Tileman

Jeez that’s hard. If it was this Saturday night he would be worth sone money as it has to be won. There will be some amount of tickets bought this week.

I got 4 numbers a few weeks ago €56 crap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Tileman

That tullamore missed is just horrendous. God help the poor family. May she rip.

the problem is there is no deterrent in society anymore. There is an excuse for everyone and when they are found guilty they get put up in jail which is nearly run by the criminals these days.

it’s time a bit more right wing think was allowed in this country to bring back a bit of law and order.

Like the man in black sang, there ain't no good chain gang.

Was a case her locally last week, a lad had a row with his wife he threw her outside. He had a machete in the house and was threatening to take the kids heads off. Armed response unit etc out , 5 hour stand off. Wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yiz wouldn't be speaking to each other this time next year if he won it!

A lad I know got rezoned in the Celtic tiger n sold up, he decided to give his sister a million to sort her family out. She didn't realize their was tax to be paid on it n wanted him to pay the tax and leave her with a clear million. A blazing row n no spake since!

Been there, got €829, if only I had 24 instead of 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Going to sound a right dope for posting this.

The electric chair was part of a campaign by Thomas Edison against George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla.

Thomas Edison had power stations generating Direct Current electricity.

Nikola Tesla developed Alternating Current and was offered funding and work with George Westinghouse to further development and roll out.

Nikola Tesla used to work under Thomas Edison but seems Thomas never took the emigrant seriously and he left Edison.

Westinghouse seeing his skill and knowledge hoovered up Tesla and they developed Alternating Current electricity.

The difference being Alternating Current could be sent much longer out from the powerstation than Direct Current with thinner wires to boot.

Edison grappled for any way to discredit Westinghouse and Tesla's new Alternating Current electricity generation.

Stories began circulating of people dying unexpectedly and almost instantly by touching an AC power source, accidentally or in one case on purpose. One night in 1881 a drunken man found his way into the generator room of a power station in Buffalo, New York and for the craic touched the live equipment.

The coroner's report noted the accidental death as likely instantaneous. The report made the rounds coming to the attention of Buffalo dentist, Alfred Southwick. Who was opposed to hanging as a means of execution and sought a more "humane" way for the state to put people to death.

Being a dentist he designed and patented a device with straps and wires and modelled on his dentist's chair.

Edison seeing his chance to stick it to Westinghouse, employed Southwick and they bought a second hand Westinghouse AC generator to run the chair.

Edison's idea was to link Alternating Current with death and danger in the publics mind. He even tried to get electrocution changed to "Westinghousing" in the press.

Westinghouse put his money to use in opposing Edison's chair. Westinghouse paid a defence team for the first in the queue axe murderer to be put in the chair. The defence being that it was cruel and unusual to use electricity for this purpose. The brutal murder details in court and the interest in this new device meant the the case only went one way.

Edison had tested the chair and wires and generator before on stray cats and dogs. Progressing onto farm animals and then onto a horse.

Edison assured that the convict would get 1,000 sure fire volts of electric death. The first charge delivered 700 volts for 17 seconds before the generator malfunctioned and had to be reset. The charge stunned the convict into unconsciousness which the assembled crowd mistook as success.

As the chair designer Alfred Southwick began "We live in a higher civilization from this day on." Someone shouted "Great God, he is alive!" The attending medic agreed.

The struggling convict was jolted with 1030 volts for over a minute. This time they were burnt alive. (There's more on the web).

Edison failed in his press war against Westinghouse but the chair remained.

AC is used nowadays for electricity transmission. DC being your car and tractor battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The amount of violent attacks seem to be on the increase. I don't know if it's due to drugs/alcohol, Covid lock downs or what. The attack on the black girl and her friend last week was shocking. I was in the local newsagent today and the shopkeeper was talking to a man about the murder of that girl in Tullamore. He went on to say that the guys that attacked the black girl were in order to pay €200 bail each. I think the legal system is getting way too soft. I understand that you are innocent until proven guilty but ......

• Advertisement

Advertisement