Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Watch the film "the current war" explains it well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You couldn't fall out with this guy. Did yer wan get the million eventually?

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah she got it first n then rared up. She had to pay the taxman tho. God loves a trier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I work with a lad in his mid 40's, married with a young family and a decent farm of land. He would have worked hard all through life and was constantly spending money between buying land, upgrading machinery, building a house and yard ect. There'd be no hesitation from the same man to tell you it was all borrowed money, finance and the like. He often told me that for years at the end of the month when all the bills were paid he had no money leftover but he always got by and was happy that he was working towards the dream.

The last few years it's all really came together for him, he built a house and married and has the farm well setup. A lot of the heavy lifting as regards repayments would be completed and he started to properly reap the rewards of his efforts. By his own admission he's wealthier atm than at any point so far and I always admired his determination and how he proved that you could work you're way up with effort and a little luck. That was why it came as a surprise to me when he confided recently that the last few month's have been the unhappiest of his life. I'll not get into specifics but there's problems between his wife and himself. It's amazing how someone can seem to have it all to an outsider looking in and they can still be the poorest of the poor in other aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I heard this before, that if you were to ask for something now, say a new tractor, jeep, more cows, and to just be given it, you wouldn’t have a lot of satisfaction from it. But if you work and progress towards something then you get a lot more satisfaction from it.

Basically it’s not the end goal but rather the journey that makes you content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

I agree. I often say to the wife that if I won the lotto it would ruin my life and she can't understand it. I like the struggle/journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Like fellas doing up vintage tractors i reckon they wouldnt have the sane satisfaction out of it unless they gave hours rooting and bolloxing at it. Talking to a fella in work these days about buying a County tis his last tractor on the list and he reckons the rougher he can get it the better.

Better living everyone

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We were told this growing up, will be the same for my kids. Daughter saving for her car atm. I'll sort the insurance. She works hard and will appreciate it and look after it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Society is largely right wing on culture, social values but left on economics.

Hard to think of a single party in Europe that reflects that near universal fact.

Life needs meaning, a struggle and a fight gives meaning, even if it is just to survive the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It was said on the radio during the day the fecker they had arrested had a history of violence and assault, I hope the guards are made aware of what they've done by leaving him on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He apparently out on bail over the assault of another woman. Maybe the guards objected and judge granted anyway, the whole system is floundering as regards appropriate law enforcement.

Sick of hearing of these lads with loads of “previous convictions” out causing trouble. There needs to be a line drawn and if you have a number of convictions then a lengthy jail term is compulsory without dispensation for anything.

The Guards apply the law, Judges do not.

Given his history he should have been deported after sentence served but the idle rich would protest that to high heaven.

Don't jail them, don't deport, then what?

Anyone else get annoyed at the way TV3 cover these murders? Complete tabloid attitude from them. It's like they get excited by the coverage they are going to get from the whole affair. RTE by contrast, handle them with some dignity and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Was a fella local enough to here who left a fella for dead out in Sydney after a knife attack hes been in jail since afaik but havent heard anything about a trial yet. He'll feel the full force of the law out there you can gaurantee that, i reckon theres just too many softcocks running the show here everybodys offended to easily and everybodys a victim and if youre not allowed to have an opinion that doesnt fit their narrative or else you end up getting labeled as a bigot, racist, sexist etc.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The man who was arrested for the murder of the girl in Tullamore has been released. Gardai say he has been eliminated from their enquiries and is no longer a suspect.

https://twitter.com/FrankGreaney/status/1481764419373834242?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lucky that has been made public, because he'd be in grave danger otherwise from people with the same sentiments as some of the posters here.

Look at the totally innocent man that was abducted, killed and his body dumped by Una Lynskey's brothers. They only got 2 and 3 years for manslaughter afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I was going out with this girl one time, she was a biteen on the greedy side truth be told (they're exes for a reason!). Must have been the Euromillions but it was €120m and she asked what I'd do with it, I said I'd give €110m away and enjoy the rest. She nearly fell off the couch. Think of the good you could do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

And so the problem with capital punishment, the guy they had in custody has been released and is no longer a suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭roosterman71

And all the posters here who had this lad guilty, criticizing the guards/judges/etc for not having him locked up previously, not being deported after a first crime. Ye jumped the gun fairly rapid.

I do agree with a lot what was said. Fair enough lads and ladies getting a few chances. But constant acting the prick and being before the courts should result in mandatory intervention. Be that jail, education, etc. The stories of X person with 100 previous convictions boils my piss. Or leniency in awful crimes where guilt has been proven.

It's a shocker that this woman was attacked in Tullamore, and you know deep down that there'll be an insanity card played, or "difficult upbringing", or "environmental factors", or they were off their head on something. All taken into account and the sentence scaled back. I'd have no faith in the judiciary system here. Except if it's someone who makes a mistake once - they get screwed. Criminals like this have it too handy and they have no value on anything. They never have to work for what they have. It's either given to them by the state, or they take it.

On a controversial note, a huge amount of coverage has been given, and rightly, highlighting the fear women have of going for a run, or out for a night, etc. Something needs to be done about it. Yet there is no evidence to suggest that if this was a 23 year old fella out for a run that it wouldn't have resulted in the same outcome - attack/death. The conversation would most likely be over now and very little media coverage by 2 days post the event. Lets hope some good comes from this and the people of the country can go about their business without fear of what is lurking ahead or behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

I assume you’re referencing me as one of the posters who jumped the gun fairly rapid?

I stand over anything I said previously anyway. I didn’t mention any names, I just said what I thought would be an adequate punishment for whoever did commit this, or any crime like this. If he was the wrong man then that’s fair enough, I’ll wait until they get the right man and I’ll still have the same opinion on what I think is a proper punishment for anyone that could do something like that.

On a side note, there’s a reason the released man was the first person they went for. He has a history (and from local knowledge it’s not for robbing sweets from a shop or anything), plenty of previous convictions and is well known to the Guards. He may be the wrong man in this case but still a man that needs a deterrent from committing disgusting crimes like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Guards will be under pressure now due the press coverage. See its news in England now aswell even with Boris on the chopping block

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Do you actually know what crime this man has actually committed. Going by what the papers are printing nowadays isn't a great way to judge any person.

We know that they are violent crimes and crimes of a serious nature, that he should have been deported long ago is a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Maybe he has. Just don't go by what you read in the paper or some radio and tv stations nowadays. By sounds of it he was arrested by two eyewitness accounts. He could easily be convicted in a Court by two eyewitness who saw him do it. Lucky the guards realized they had the wrong man.

• Advertisement

Advertisement