Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Omallep2 wrote: »
    For what.its worth i cut my index finger off 16 years ago. They put severed finger back on and over the years the tendons repaired and I have full use. Hopefulky he will be fine

He needs to be, he's a self employed manual worker and entitled to nothing...... or very little anyway. He can't afford to be out of work for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I like this years Late Late Toy show advert on RTE.

I won't spoil it - but let's just say it makes up a small bit for the stupid decision last year that they were not including any farm themed toys on the show...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

gozunda wrote: »
    I like this years Late Late Toy show advert on RTE.

I won't spoil it - but let's just say it makes up a small bit for the stupid decision last year that they we're not including any farm themed toys on the show...

I think the super valu ad is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

It's amazing what a bit of contact can do. Last Thursday evening I phoned a lad that I used to hurl with. This lad is 13 years older than I am so early fifties. He was on the verge of retiring for the few years I hurled with him but we hurled together midfield and struck up a good friendship.
    His parents both passed in the last two years and he never married so is living alone since and farming for a living so I just said I'd give him a shout as I hadn't seen him since the second lockdown started. We had a good chat for about an hour. This evening the phone rang and we chatted away for 20 minutes or so before he went silent for a second and thanked me for last weeks call. He told me hadn't heard from a soul in a fortnight and didn't realise how low he had been until he heard from someone. I was humbled by his honesty. I know that we are not meant to have visitors but I invited him round for the supper and a few drinks this Saturday evening. I think that the isolation is more danger to him than Covid is to either of us to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Grueller wrote: »
    It's amazing what a bit of contact can do. Last Thursday evening I phoned a lad that I used to hurl with. This lad is 13 years older than I am so early fifties. He was on the verge of retiring for the few years I hurled with him but we hurled together midfield and struck up a good friendship.
    His parents both passed in the last two years and he never married so is living alone since and farming for a living so I just said I'd give him a shout as I hadn't seen him since the second lockdown started. We had a good chat for about an hour. This evening the phone rang and we chatted away for 20 minutes or so before he went silent for a second and thanked me for last weeks call. He told me hadn't heard from a soul in a fortnight and didn't realise how low he had been until he heard from someone. I was humbled by his honesty. I know that we are not meant to have visitors but I invited him round for the supper and a few drinks this Saturday evening. I think that the isolation is more danger to him than Covid is to either of us to be fair.

Fair play Grueller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

You know how teagasc give predicted grass growth rates every week? One thing I struggle to understand is that if I had two identical fields, one spread with fertiliser and the other, there will be a big difference in growth grates obviously. Do teagasc base their figures on fertilised fields or fields without fertiliser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

My run of bad luck continues, I was greeted this morning in the shed by an 18 month old breeding heifer with a broken front leg.
    Just f****** fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think the super valu ad is good too

My wife was crying the first time she saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

My run of bad luck continues, I was greeted this morning in the shed by an 18 month old breeding heifer with a broken front leg.
    Just f****** fantastic

Sorry to hear that......nothing worse than when a few things go wrong. Keep the chin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well done Grueller. This is allowed under the current lockdown, a buddy system. Another example are two single parents giving support to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You know how teagasc give predicted grass growth rates every week? One thing I struggle to understand is that if I had two identical fields, one spread with fertiliser and the other, there will be a big difference in growth grates obviously. Do teagasc base their figures on fertilised fields or fields without fertiliser?

Based on figures from people measuring and putting figures into pasturebase

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its sad to hear about the situation at Dublin Zoo - surely major supermarkets, knackeries etc. could help out with feed bills, especcially given the amount of perfectly good food that gets chucked out by many facilities around the country??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its sad to hear about the situation at Dublin Zoo - surely major supermarkets, knackeries etc. could help out with feed bills, especcially given the amount of perfectly good food that gets chucked out by many facilities around the country??

Good news is that they raised over a million euro after launching an appeal today.
    Dublin Zoo has raised €1 million in donations since it launched a fundraising campaign earlier today

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1118/1178867-dublin-zoo/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What's the oldest you can have a bull weanling castrated, 12 months so it's a vet job I suppose, is it worth it, what would it cost.

Cheers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That's lovely to hear, and fair dues to both of you.
    If he lives alone, he can be in a bubble with you, under the current restrictions, so enjoy the evening.
    A hand of friendship was never more important, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Danzy wrote: »
    What's the oldest you can have a bull weanling castrated, 12 months so it's a vet job I suppose, is it worth it, what would it cost.

Cheers

Did a group, cost me about €33 each animal, surgical option, incl call out charge.
    Not a good time of the year now to be doing it. Also be sure the animal has two shots for blackleg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see the Danish Agriculture minister has resigned after the cull of farmed mink was ruled to be an illegal order.
    The cull still continues even though it's deemed illegal.

I don't understand it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭148multi

I see the Danish Agriculture minister has resigned after the cull of farmed mink was ruled to be an illegal order.
    The cull still continues even though it's deemed illegal.

I don't understand it either.

Cull them, then pay compo for the illegal act. Everyone taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Water John wrote: »
    Did a group, cost me about €33 each animal, surgical option, incl call out charge.
    Not a good time of the year now to be doing it. Also be sure the animal has two shots for blackleg.

Does most people on here clip the tails of their cattle when doing their backs?
    I avoid it as the risk of nicking the tail just seems too great for any benefit.
    I think blackleg is the issue with nicking the tail too.

Danzy wrote: »

Cheers

Neighbour used to leave males entire for 12 - 16 months, he'd get vet to cut them. He reckoned he had better growth rates and that it was enough to cover the cost of the op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

Anybody have experience with lay flat pipe to pump slurry from one tank to another. Distance about 50m. Is it hard work trying to empty the pipe after? Does it need to be cleaned with water to stop it going hard inside? Will only be used maybe three times per year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I avoid it as the risk of nicking the tail just seems too great for any benefit.

always clip tails actually done a batch of the incalf heifers this morning.

I think spinal paralysis would be a bigger issue than blackleg (open to correction)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

148multi wrote: »
    Neighbour used to leave males entire for 12 - 16 months, he'd get vet to cut them. He reckoned he had better growth rates and that it was enough to cover the cost of the op.

I'm thinking along that line. Thinking of doing it in a month and feed him ration as a bull till then, he is already on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just got a text from the Limousin Society, Paul Sykes will continue in his role as secretary.

Just got another text. He's decided to leave again.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

148multi wrote: »
    Cull them, then pay compo for the illegal act. Everyone taken care of.

Nphet is recommending that the remaining mink farms in this country be culled.

I'm waiting for someone to suggest that dogs and cats get coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Given that the Danish decision has been deemed illegal I'm not too sure that it will end up happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Shouldn't be any nicking unless you very hard with machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Freejin wrote: »
    Anybody have experience with lay flat pipe to pump slurry from one tank to another. Distance about 50m. Is it hard work trying to empty the pipe after? Does it need to be cleaned with water to stop it going hard inside? Will only be used maybe three times per year

We have it here to pump to an overground tank. Simple to empty, just leave one end in the tank and walk along it moving the slurry with your foot to the end in the tank. After that, we just pull it around the base of the tank and let it there till needed again. It's been used that way for 17 years now and no problems.

I've heard lads say the newer lay flat pipes aren't as strong or durable but we'll worry about that when ours bursts, I suppose.

Freejin wrote: »

Lads blow a fert bag through with a compressor to to clean it, use bag like a balloon.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there a lad talking to Claire Byrne this morning, he was representing the mink farms I think, he mentioned that some dogs contracted the virus, but he didn't get far with that.

Advertisement