Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

201,c/litre at a Circle K in Kilkenny City where there would be more competition than previous garage i posted.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Drove to Athlone this evening. Past a station and it was 194.9 for diesel, and petrol was 196.9 I think. A couple of hours later they were both 199.9. Now, I may be a cynical old fart, but this is pure gouging of the highest order. They didn't get a delivery in that time, there wasn't a massive queue I suspect while I was away. This proposed cut in excise won't be worth a fart as the stations will up the prices and be creaming the cut for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

noticed our meal IBC is getting light. How are the likes of beef nut or straight rolled barley fairing price wise?

No wonder the price is shooting up overnight with the government cutting the excise tomorrow, i remember the auld fella whinging here in the celtic tiger years about petrol hitting nearly €1/litre for petrol.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Petrol is just over 1 euro a litre in Malta so clearly the government waffle about the EU and Vat rates is clearly BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I can go back further than that, when I was out with a friend that was complaining that he could no longer get 5 gallons for £2

It's cent/litre. I think around 55 or 60c per litre is tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’s a combination. Excise is a fixed rate, I think around 52 cent per litre of diesel. Carbon tax is priced per ton but I think works out around 10-10.5 cent a litre. NORA is a fixed rate of 2 cent. Them figures are from memory so could be slightly out but not much.

VAT then is 23% on top of the actual oil price and all of the other taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Picked a great year to take over the farm. Shur if I get over this year, I’m good for a bit.

I decided to get 2 tonne of 18-6-12 for the silage fields. €760 a tonne.

ordered 500l of diesel to keep me going- €1.39 a litre and was told I’d be waiting two weeks for it, only to find it filled.

some spending done. Waiting on the transfer papers to file to be able sell the yearlings. Some waiting game.

When the going gets tough the tough get going.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Was back in the office here for the first time since Covid started. Only 3 - 4 now in from an office of over 50. Was depressing enough sitting at home working, but it wasn't much better in the office.

Was hoping for a few more in to have a bit of chat etc. Sitting at home with only your shadow for company ain't good for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Was in the office lately as well for the first time since March 2020. Like that, only a few in.

I found the opposite as you to be honest - found it fierce hard to get anything done, constant distractions, noise. Am much happier working from home…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Best of luck kollege. I've told this story before on F&F - I remember when mortgage interest rates tipped over 20%, cattle prices crashed and I had 60 odd top class continental weanlings (BA & BAx's) to sell that Autumn. The bulls sold well enough for export to Italy but you couldn't give the heifers away. My salary at the time covered the mortgage repayments but there was very little change left. My late FIL always grew and sold veg into the Dublin market so we were ok for the basics like potatoes, cabbage, turnips etc. He always kept a few sheep so we got a couple of lambs killed for the freezer and we had our own poultry. A good friend (who is a tillage farmer) supplied us throughout that Winter with whole barley and oats (knowing that we couldn't pay for it at the time) so we could feed on the 27 heifers. We would spend a few hours every Saturday morning rolling and bagging oats & barley through a tractor pto roller - if you've ever rolled oats then you know how itchy a job it is. Anyway, to cut a long story short we sold the 27 heifers the following year and got serious prices for them. I always believe that in times of adversity, trust your instinct and don't be overly swayed by popular opinion.

i Knew Twas dear but it give me options what I can keep at end of year if I have the fodder for them.

as for the transfer, cost wise it’s a short term struggle but glad it’s done. This war would be the excuse the brother was looking for to plant the place, he had been trying for a while and met resistance from my mam and I.

Thanks Base, that was some going.

lucky to not be as spread as that. I’ve just 13 cows and the bull, their weanlings and calves coming up. What dictated the numbers was how much I could bale on a bad year. I am very lucky my job covers the loans and mortgage and family living, but not the 10k my mam is owed yearly. Yearlings should keep us going until bps. And if not, I can get a bridging loan. My mortgage is small enough and the OH covers child care. So she could cover that but short term,

also lucky my little car used cost €35 a week to go to work. It’s about €50 now but not a killer. 1.4d Auris.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Best of luck going into your future, kollegeknight.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

Tough times don't last. Tough People do. It was a saying our local vet used to have. Seems appropriate now.

''this too will pass'' is what I used to say. Unfortunately in farming we seem to have to say it too often.

It's the isolation in farming that multiplies the stress in bad times. I know that it made a huge difference here when my OH retired from her job, everything done better and faster

Good god I just spent an hour on phone pricing insurance with FBD and still have to wait on feedback from underwriter before I can get a price. First world problem yea but god the questioning is gone insane with insurance.

they not keen on giving storm cover on sheds built back in mid 70’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I see on ICBF a BVD sample we sent in was empty. Do we order another BVD tag for testing or are they automatically sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Passed a petrol station a while ago. 199.9 for diesel. 184.9 for petrol. What sort of **** acting is going on at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Snap. It has been a long time since I saw something like that

We buried our latvian friend to day, the little church was over half full, the community really came together for him and the lads from the meat factory where he worked up until 2020 have undertaken to look after the grave and erect the headstone, There's good people out there still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ya I’d agree. Herself was off work for a while here and there, and even though she wouldn’t be in the yard it was nice to have someone to meet and talk too during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

And Fbd are one of the better ones to deal with. It’s hard work dealing with insurance companies no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Pure gouging - problem is that there is FA consumer protection in this country cos our main political parties are totally beholden to vested interests

• Advertisement

Spent some time yesterday with AnPost insurance on the phone... they are coming back to me today but seem very well priced overall

Advertisement