Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

LC are you giving the cows Mg? I would have thought the danger period would be over by now. As kollege says outside your door, 52 year old died out for a walk on Sunday near here, things could be worse.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

I would have thought that tetany was always a danger as long as the cow was milking ? Lost an in calf heifer here with it a few years ago that obviously wasn’t milking so it is always a threat

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cold enough at night the last few nights

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah - felt more like Autumn 2day. Early this week the models were going with a heatwave next week but most of it now looks like a washout:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thankfully we had a clear herd test today. I haven't slept properly in the last week or so as I always dread the annual herd test.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

Anyone know how much Bluestone you add to a 4 meter footbath. I found an old bag and the instructions are perished. Was using a chemical solution. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

In a sheep footbath it's one kilo to ten litres, put up the length, width, and depth of water here and someone will work it out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Clear herd test today. Being tested every six months with high TB rates in the area.

Heifer came back from butcher today. 620 kg heifer, €400 to kill and butcher her.

No beer on board today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sure is, was a lovely day to be out. Only in from doing the farm grind just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

😂 It's neither a yacht nor mine, and the closest link you could make to putrid is if you thought the wind was dinosaur farts therefore fossil fueled!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was out on quad yday evening and had mobile in pocket of a jacket that has seen better days,gathering and moving sheep to new grass. Got back to base and no sign of phone!🙄........went and got OH's phone and headed out on quad to try and retrace my steps in outside hope of finding it....as forecast was for heavy rain overnight (which came).Had about 15 acres to cover with coat of rushes and flagons on it which helped me follow my fresh tyre path.Kept stopping every 30 metres or so and turning off bike to ring phone to see could I hear it ringing.Was hoping it wasn't on silent mode! .........Out well over an hour and well pissed off as it was coming onto dusk.....was going up a hill slowly and stopped to turn off bike to try and call again.Saw this bright light around 10 meters away.....a happy man to get off bike and walk up to pick up phone.....ringing away on Silent!......when I checked it after it had some heap of missed calls!

Ya need an odd bit of good luck!😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

im Really getting turned off using boards. It keeps skipping back post on its own when I’m trying to read through them and then I got to go scrolling to find where I was.

its happening well over a month. Anyone got any prevention for this? I tried refreshing the page but it still happens. I’m using an apple phone if that’s any clue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Very same thing happening me for well over a month too. I’ve complained about it, as have others, on the site feedback page but there doesn’t seem to be anybody working in boards either fit to solve the problem or that wants to solve it.

It’s very annoying when typing a post as after every 6 or 8 words you type you end up half way back up the page and clicking on advertisements to open them as you’re fingers are still typing. It seems to be the advertisements causing the issue and appears to be only on iPhones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Don't swipe back - use the "Farming & Forestry" link below the "Leave a Comment" section to return to the Home page. Doing so, will create a bookmark where you left off last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

It’s more or less finished here on boards.ie pity really but whatever happened there’s no chance of a recovery now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d say the problem is whatever TY student got the job of designing the new site is busy doing the leaving cert now so can’t solve the problems!

It’s the only logical explanation because it certainly wasn’t an experienced person that developed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This thread has been found and is being posted in again at present

No the 100 farmers are slaughter figures only for them. Real interesting thing is that while in the last few years while calf slaughter figures have increased, calf mortality has dropped.

I like to see the exact numbers not the percentages

Slava Ukrainii

It's a pure mess. This idea if having to bookmark stuff etc is crazy. As well the site has go e very slow. The advertising is very intrusive. It's blocks popup pages and you have to shuffle back and forth to open links.

Very hard to keep a eye out for new threads on any forum. Who ever did the designing needs a kick in the h0le and preferably with a size 14 steel toecap boot.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s happening now again and I just opened up the page so that didn’t solve it unfortunately

I don't think so.

If you use a swipe back you returning to where you were before you selected the thread you are reading.. Just click the home page link below the comments section, problem solved, it automatically marks where you left off.

Use an add blocker app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Mods delete if its going against the grain.

Figured as good a place as any to ask, any natural cures/old wives tales/remedies or what ever you would call them that can kill/prevent stomach bugs?

Reason for asking is ive started open water swimming frequently now and my stomach isnt the best now tonight after it. Heard Coca Cola is supposed to be some help but studies have shown otberwise, vinegar/olive oil is supposed to be acidic enough to do the job however i dont fancy taking a shot of that everytime i get out of the water.

Thanks in advance

Better living everyone

I heard if you stop open water swimming it goes away.

There used to be a product called Andrew liver salts I am not sure if it's still on the market.

Bread soda was an old antacid. However it's might be worth getting a sample tested if you get physical symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

After coming this far since January I couldnt possible give up what im at by choice. I see the liver salts can still be got i might give them a go.

Edit: after researching the liver salts ill not rule them out but ill put them on the long finger for now.

Better living everyone

Tis either one of two this time of the year in fresh water, cryto from cattle or salmonella from the ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I find Boards great for the support and advice off fellow farmers. But the navigation through it at the moment is so frustrating that I rarely bother with it now. Its a pity.

are ye using any other sites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Don't take Andrews Liver Salts in your current condition!

We always had a tin of them in the house ( early 1970's), and as kids a half teaspoon added to a glass of MiWaDi orange turned it into Fanta.

But two spoonfuls in a glass of hot water would have fairly dramatic results.....

Be wise to be near the loo when drinking it.....

Advertisement