Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Don't come here much any more.

Just frustrating trying to find threads, compared to the old platform.

Follow a few Facebook groups, mainly machinery/vintage ones, and signed up to a few Twitter ones too.

Irelabds Farmers can be very good, but Twitter can be a sewer of bitterness and bile betimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You just have to know how to blank that lot out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would love to see the stats on daily post numbers over last year. I’d say it’s only a shadow of its former self here.

I used to visit 6-8 forums regularly but now only this one and even this less and less.

the problem with the page jumping is just another example of a site killer that’s going unaddressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

There is the option to switch back to the old style desktop setup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think the problem might be the ads, I have them blocked, one of the only mod privileges there is. So if I have them blocked I presume all the other mods and admins have them blocked too, so they can’t see what the problem is. I’ll ask them to look into it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Even though I have add blocker, for that to block adds, I have to be logged into boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I seldom look at Boards on the phone cause it's a pain in the arse with the page jumping all over the place. I read a post from Niamh (Admin) before that said if you pay the subscription of €50 (from memory) you won't see any ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm the same. Hate the new format. I've stuck with it hoping the issues would be sorted with time.

Even a simple thing like finding your own posts is near impossible. This is what I use, but come one seriously? You'd think that would be the easiest thing to do.

https://www.boards.ie/profile/comments/

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭kk.man

Very sad to hear the untimely passing of Christy Comerford great farmer and a gentleman. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Not far from him here at home i never had the pleasure of meeting him but i never heard a bad word spoken about him by anyone a true gentleman and top farmer. RiP

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Some pilots in East Westmeath, got stuck behind Austin Powers on a small boreen, there was even a reenactment of the schmall truck scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Extremely short notice.

But there's a few slots after opening up on the NOTS biochar course tomorrow at Kim McCalls Farm.

Only reason I know I was one of those booked in. Felt rotten yesterday evening. I had to skip the cows evening milking. Had a worse night. And am as weak as a kitten. Tested positive for Covid.

If you look up their website you may get a number to call. I've only cancelled myself ten minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Try a tea spoon of cumin Powder, the herb.

It will likely make you puke but it transforms your stomach. My missues had a bad chicken in Morocco, that straightened her the following day.

I have a stomach that an old fox 🦊 would consider tough. A lifetime of being bad at washing hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

do you not use the touch site for boards when using it on your phones

I thought i had a tough enough one too never overcooked food really and often had chicken with a small tinge of pink in it, im surprised myself that im a bit shook after it. How do you take that with water or take it on the spoon?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Take the tea spoon of it and wash it down with water.

It's a great cure.

Better living everyone

Anyone know why both a cow and a calf would have the same scour? Both have a watery brown/green scour. Calf is thriving good enough but cow is getting a bit too thin for my liking.

Cow got allsure boluses about 3 months ago.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Worms?

Could actually be high nitrogen in the grass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Jesus - the weather is shocking at the minute. It's like winter here tonight. Rain lashing against the windows and high winds. Can't remember how long it is since we had 2 decent days in a row.

Hopefully picking up at the weekend. It's been a long time coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s hardly Johnes, what age is the cow, is she bought in?

I'll have a bit of peace at it so 😉

Get well soon 👍

Calf is 3 months. Cow nearly 3 years, my own breeding. No other cows in the field scouring. I had an issue here last year with wormer resistance so maybe that's it. Can't understand why the calf is scouring.

No history of Johnes here.

I lit the fire last night and again tonight. Had a FR cow (rearing two WH calves) down with milk fever earlier this evening and gave her a bottle of calcium and magnesium whilst waiting for the Vet. The Vet gave her another bottle and a few injections. She got up and was wobbly as we tried to get her into a shed. I brought out a grab of hay and dropped it around the field for the others. The Vet recommended that we give them all calcium boluses tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have they a mineral bucket with them?

No, but they have been out since March early April with the calves at foot. There isn't a huge growth of grass either as the weather hasn't been the best. The Vet said that the practice has had a lot of milk fever calls over the last few days which I presume has to do with the change in weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We have mineral buckets with the sucklers all the time. Even when no calves on them. Vet said any bucket is better than none. Strange to get milk fever when they're calved a while. Used to bolus them but bullets are only really active for 28 days. We have the t shirt of losing suckler cows

Fingers crossed the sucklers are ok so far but they have access to a round bale feeder in the yard. The Vet said to bolus the Friesian cows that are double suckling and in a different field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Mother had her fire on quite a bit recently. Desperate stuff in middle of May.

Can't wait for a decent spell of weather as there is a lot of stuff to be done that it backing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Still should get a bucket for them like whelan said. It's going to help somewhat.

Advertisement