Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,529 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Brought my jeep for the doe today. It was due in August but with covid was extended. Failed. With a very long list of things wrong. I would have been better off testing it in August as there wouldn't have been as much wrong with it then. They never commented about the tail light I cracked on it last week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Brought my jeep for the doe today. It was due in August but with covid was extended. Failed. With a very long list of things wrong. I would have been better off testing it in August as there wouldn't have been as much wrong with it then. They never commented about the tail light I cracked on it last week

You'd question the sense in letting them get shook/old alright. That's my story anyway, looking forward to seeing the new Hilux invincible here, haven't put the request into the board yet though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

gozunda wrote: »
    Just to say I've been and posted and said my own piece.

However I've noted that the logic presented in support of a small group being given explicit permission to openly call all animal agriculture cruel and by extension all such farmers as participating in cruelty is seriously flawed.

The idea seems to be that because (for example) the hunting forum states that hunting is ethically sound - then the v&v forum should be allowed to claim that farming is not.

This ignores the essential point that one forum states that its own activities are legal and acceptable to its members and those who hunt etc.

Whilst another forum demands the right to describe another sector (in this case farmers) as being perpetrators of cruelty without exception.

Imo something not right there....

I suppose on the face of it boards.ie doesn’t really take the farming forum seriously. Look where it’s placed, in “society and culture” rather than business or somewhere more serious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

_Brian wrote: »
    I suppose on the face of it boards.ie doesn’t really take the farming forum seriously. Look where it’s placed, in “society and culture” rather than business or somewhere more serious.

I remember discussion on that when the site was reorganised....I can't be certain, but I think it was put in Society and Culture due to it's community ethos.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Anyone watching the Prime Time documentary about Patrick Russell ?... jaysus some boyo... would make the guy who was portrayed in Catch Me If You Can look like a petty thief...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

NcdJd wrote: »
    Anyone watching the Prime Time documentary about Patrick Russell ?... jaysus some boyo... would make the guy who was portrayed in Catch Me If You Can look like a petty thief...

The gardai that didn't touch him for twenty years are worse, they should be ashamed of themselves, they're a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

more worrying was why he was never prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

wrangler wrote: »
    The gardai that didn't touch him for twenty years are worse, they should be ashamed of themselves, they're a joke

They did investigate him for something like 7 years. DPP didn’t see reason to prosecute. It’s some story the way revenue turned a blind eye to what was going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Surprised how the DPP didn't action on so many statements. The fact that he was deceiving people using falsified letters from Revenue alone is enough to warrant some sort of charge. I'd be surprised if it was the guards as 7 years worth of statements would have been one massive file sent to the director.

What was it that made Revenue/The DPP so wary of pursuing him?

EDIT: I originally asked what made them 'afraid' of pursuing him but that isn't the correct context to be using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

FGR wrote: »
    Surprised how the DPP didn't action on so many statements. The fact that he was deceiving people using falsified letters from Revenue alone is enough to warrant some sort of charge. I'd be surprised if it was the guards as 7 years worth of statements would have been one massive file sent to the director.

What was it that made Revenue/The DPP so wary of pursuing him?

EDIT: I originally asked what made them 'afraid' of pursuing him but that isn't the correct context to be using.

That's what I'd love to know too, I think there is a big can of worms waiting to be opened in this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Got the heifer back. I reckon about 220kg of meat. Had to bag her myself and in reality portion her for the most part.- butcher had left the housekeeper in big slabs.

One of the brothers showed up to give a hand. The one that always harps on about being self sufficient was working. The brother that landed into help brought a drawer from his freezer as the only space he had created- about 5kg of beef fit into it. Still wondering where he would put the other 60kg, lucky I had space
    In my freezer.

Took about 5 hours.

A friend gets the cattle slaughtered in Galway and butcher makes whatever the client wants, bagged and labelled so if I do it again, it might be worth the trip.

As for the school in Carlow- it a countrywide problem with clothes choices, and I think tackled wrong.not the distraction of male teachers. It’s usually the female teachers that cause the kerfuffle about dress code.

A neighbouring all boys school said the o Neills kit was compulsory on pe Days as it could double up as a school uniform so no changing due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

That's what I'd love to know too, I think there is a big can of worms waiting to be opened in this..

I’d say knowing how hard it is to get the legal profession to turn on itself had something to do with it. They are basically all colleagues in a small country like Ireland. Include the DPP in that.

Got the heifer back. I reckon about 220kg of meat. Had to bag her myself and in reality portion her for the most part.- butcher had left the housekeeper in big slabs.

One of the brothers showed up to give a hand. The one that always harps on about being self sufficient was working. The brother that landed into help brought a drawer from his freezer as the only space he had created- about 5kg of beef fit into it. Still wondering where he would put the other 60kg, lucky I had space
    In my freezer.

Took about 5 hours.

A friend gets the cattle slaughtered in Galway and butcher makes whatever the client wants, bagged and labelled so if I do it again, it might be worth the trip.
    How much did the butcher charge you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I’d say knowing how hard it is to get the legal profession to turn on itself had something to do with it. They are basically all colleagues in a small country like Ireland. Include the DPP in that.

We bought a house in 2008, local Solicitor handled our end of things 100%.
    Or so we thought.
    Turned out that he never paid the Stamp Duty to Revenue, pocketed it and put it on the horses.
    3 it 4 years later, the first we knew was a letter from another Solicitors office, informing us that they had taken over the practice, and that while we still owed Revenue, the Legal insurance fund ( whatever its called) was covering it.
    We drove down to the original guys office immediately, to find two secretaries on their hands and knees on the floor and every inch of the floor covered in paper, as they tried to sort out the mess.
    Lots of deposits, stamp duty monies etc missing.
    The guy was dis-barred, and was by then in Australia, driving a taxi by all accounts.
    I think he is back now, but no legal action was ever taken against him.

As for the school in Carlow- it a countrywide problem with clothes choices, and I think tackled wrong.not the distraction of male teachers. It’s usually the female teachers that cause the kerfuffle about dress code.

A neighbouring all boys school said the o Neills kit was compulsory on pe Days as it could double up as a school uniform so no changing due to Covid.

I thought all schools were the same now with covid. Pe uniform worn for the whole day of pe day. Same here o neills tracksuit bottoms and quarter zip top, school pe polo shirt. Edited to say a parent must send in a note if there is any deviation from the set uniform. Youngest lad split his trousers last week and no spare pair. Had to send in a note and fix the trousers

I thought all schools were the same now with covid. Pe uniform worn for the whole day of pe day. Same here o neills tracksuit bottoms and quarter zip top, school pe polo shirt

Ours didn’t have a tracksuit

Ours didn’t have a tracksuit

What do they wear? I thought changing rooms were out of bounds with covid

What do they wear? I thought changing rooms were out of bounds with covid

Tracksuits, running bottoms or leggings with sports tops.
    I don’t know what guidance of any they were given as eldest is in 6th year and they don’t do PE

How much did the butcher charge you?

€280

• Advertisement

€280

We’re paying similar.
    She’s been hanging nearly three wwwks and they will butcher her next week.

He rang last week for details of the butchering, what sized roasts, burgers etc.

I thought all schools were the same now with covid. Pe uniform worn for the whole day of pe day. Same here o neills tracksuit bottoms and quarter zip top, school pe polo shirt. Edited to say a parent must send in a note if there is any deviation from the set uniform. Youngest lad split his trousers last week and no spare pair. Had to send in a note and fix the trousers

We don’t have a pe uniform, a colleague and I were trying to persuade principal to consider it, just as it would look a little better at lunch etc. Plus when going to matches etc.

We do have a half zip but optional.

As for what is worn- i genuine don’t know how some of the students of any gender don’t freeze.

We’re paying similar.
    She’s been hanging nearly three wwwks and they will butcher her next week.

He rang last week for details of the butchering, what sized roasts, burgers etc.

you will get a lot better bang for your buck. I got the mince in kg bags.

ended up paying another €30ish in bags.

I have a few photos on the livestock thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

In my freezer.

Took about 5 hours.

There is an abattoir in east Clare. that are very good, not the 1 mentioned earlier. They may not take on new customers at this stage and Galway may be handier from your location. Just giving u the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Looks like there was a big disservice done to male teachers and men in general. You just can't open your mouth any more without someone getting offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    We bought a house in 2008, local Solicitor handled our end of things 100%.
    Or so we thought.
    Turned out that he never paid the Stamp Duty to Revenue, pocketed it and put it on the horses.
    3 it 4 years later, the first we knew was a letter from another Solicitors office, informing us that they had taken over the practice, and that while we still owed Revenue, the Legal insurance fund ( whatever its called) was covering it.
    We drove down to the original guys office immediately, to find two secretaries on their hands and knees on the floor and every inch of the floor covered in paper, as they tried to sort out the mess.
    Lots of deposits, stamp duty monies etc missing.
    The guy was dis-barred, and was by then in Australia, driving a taxi by all accounts.
    I think he is back now, but no legal action was ever taken against him.

This practice of paying monies over to the solicitors' accounts needs to be outlawed, cheques should be paid directly to Revenue or whoever is owed monies.

orm0nd wrote: »
    There is an abattoir in east Clare. that are very good, not the 1 mentioned earlier. They may not take on new customers at this stage and Galway may be handier from your location. Just giving u the heads up.

I’m in west Clare so east would suit better. Thanks for the heads up.

It will be a while before I’m looking but no harm in planning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Solicitors are complete scum, at least the ones I've dealt with. I'm going tru absolute hell dealing with them at the moment. Over 5 years now trying to sort out someone else's mess.

Numerous times they have tried to hoodwink me, but I've held my ground. They backed down every time. Sitting across the table smirking at me. They tried to imply that I had to do certain things, which just didn't make sense to me. One guy even got angry at me when I questioned him on an issue. I even went on-line to see who I should make an official complaint to and that solicitors name was listed. You couldn't make it up.

The did the exact same thing to a close relative of mine a number of years ago. It nearly killed her. Her son told me the full story one night and he was in tears telling me.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

straight wrote: »
    Looks like there was a big disservice done to male teachers and men in general. You just can't open your mouth any more without someone getting offended.

I had to speak to some lads about playing some hippity hop that was offensive to a female. It was too. And the message about respecting everyone had to be given. If Achy Breaky Heart bothers someone, I wouldn’t play is.

But Cardi B singing about the same lady parts is empowering.

I don’t understand it. All of it is tripe in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Solicitors are complete scum, at least the ones I've dealt with. I'm going tru absolute hell dealing with them at the moment. Over 5 years now trying to sort out someone else's mess.

Numerous times they have tried to hoodwink me, but I've held my ground. They backed down every time. Sitting across the table smirking at me. They tried to imply that I had to do certain things, which just didn't make sense to me. One guy even got angry at me when I questioned him on an issue. I even went on-line to see who I should make an official complaint to and that solicitors name was listed. You couldn't make it up.

The did the exact same thing to a close relative of mine a number of years ago. It nearly killed her. Her son told me the full story one night and he was in tears telling me.

Same happened my now deceased grand uncle. He was paying his tax to the solicitor for years, who in turn was pocketing it. All in cash too cos thats how the man rolled. Never had a cheque book and cash in the house kinda man. Anyway, after many years of this, the solicitor retired off down to Cork. Few years after that, revenue rocked up looking for over 300k. No receipts, no record of having paid the solicitor. Screwed. Granted I know the grand uncle was naïve and all, but a bitter kick in the nuts in the end. Good few elderly farmers were similarly rode.

Advertisement