Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I don't know, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't, they're the same animal. It does interfere in Mg uptake in plant and animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Nobody lives for centuries.

My parents had to do a stint in England as did just about all their siblings and damn near every working class octogenarian and older had to.. In the 60,s. What was the United States doing for them?

My grandfather endured the worst of economic times farming whilst his father pre independence had the place humming . The agricultural economy of Wexford was humming. Bought a farm and bought 3 more out of it.

I do agree with you to a point but it ain’t that black and white. My points weren’t against independence, it was making a hash of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Trying my hand at recovery services now. BIL got abit too brave with the van this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Our field jeep stayed stuck in a paddock for 2 weeks recently. No point making a mess with digger or tractor to rescue it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

I agree with almost all you say very open mind you have.

Re you second post my old man (rip) used to go mad when he was talking about the thirties.

Yes a hash was made of independence, it took to the 60s to cop on they were doing it wrong all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

He was just off hard ground thankfully. Slipped down the hill to that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Had a dairy farmer neighbour that was fond of k, he had bullocks getting grass tetany.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Going to harvest in approx six weeks, no slurry out in silage ground.

How many units will I get away with spreading?

Field needs K and is ok for P and obviously needs N.

Was going to got potash and nitrogen separate, but thinking now I may go with 3 bags of 18-6-12 + S an acre.

Is that best so the nitrogen and K are used and not brought into the yard 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Is there a cover of grass on it now or is it bare ground?

If there’s a cover on it and you say it doesn’t need P, go with 3 bags of 19-0-15+S.

If it’s after being grazed tight go with 4 bags.

• Advertisement

Grazed alright, but not too tight the second field has a nice cover but needs a boost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

Do as DBK says. Building fertility is a slow game. Make your plan and go with your potash each Autumn.

Meant to ask what kind of soil are you dealing with?

Well drained, clayey soil.

Few wet patches under tree cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'll get a bit out now and get the most out in autumn.

I'll price around and see, might work cheaper to get straight MOP and then CAN + Sulphur

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Listened to a "regenerative" podcast about a former pig farmer in Germany who's converted their 200ha farm to solely growing biomass for biogas for electricity generation.

I found the whole interview very sad. Especially so when it's now when Germany has ceased all electricity generation from their nuclear reactors.

Here was a farm producing food. Now it's growing everything for electricity production. But still it has to use diesel and tractor work to produce this electricity. Then till the soil and cart the digestate back out again. And the farmer entered into a 20 year electricity fixed priced scheme 10 years ago and now his costs are going up. He's at the beck and call of a power company who remotely turn the gas burners on and off depending on their sale price and demand on the grid.

....Eamon Ryan's vision for Ireland.

The fertiliser industry reps are very busy on social media in the last few days warning of calamity if fertiliser is not bought and spread now.

Amusing since the last few years there was an unofficial tone to cut back for climate change. And now they've gone balls out in the last few days saying it has to be bought and spread and now 20% more silage has to be made than normal.

Of course it has nothing to do with fert sales were back last year and there's fear of the same this year and dear stock in store with the merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

I take your point SMN, but looking at the panic about here last week for fodder, saving an extra 20% next year looks like good practice. Now, whether we need to put out as much extra fertiliser as they say or not is another discussion entirely.

Around this area most I think still have fodder in store. That said I've heard of someone selling fodder to someone locked up with more stock in hand than normal and a Cork dairy farmer buying a lorry load of hay in this county.

Wouldn't it be a change all the same to not be talked to by those in industry like an adult talks to a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Advertisement

Well SMN you were going grand til you finished off with "Eamon Ryan". Witch hunts/pile-ons have no place in any civilised discussion.

There's a whole industry including your beloved fertiliser one trying to get the non-runner that is AD off the ground, it's even seeped into some of our Ag bureaucracy as a paper offset to high emission sectors.

Didn't Eamon Ryan come out with the clanger of AD is a positive for Ireland since it will decrease livestock farming in Ireland?

Witch hunts/ pile ons me hole. One side can say what they want and when it's repeated back what they said it's a witch hunt. That's cancel culture.

And my beloved fertiliser industry. Ffs.

Are you going for election for the Greens?

I'd say Mary Lou wouldn't even get elected for the Greens next time round, and I was only scutting about the fert industry given your other points.

No, maybe I took you up wrong but there's a theme going through agricultural and "rural" commentary that are playing the man and not the ball. It's encouraging a culture or mantra of hate rhetoric, attributing some very disingenuous and spurious quotes, for the purpose of creating a bogey man and preserving the status quo.

I find it disturbing, ugly, and ultimately damaging to our society in many ways.

Maybe you still see the good in people @Castlekeeper. What I'm seeing is a campaign which had zero backing at one time. Then the Eat lancet thing came out which has mostly been all debunked at this stage. And now you've ministers in Ireland on the bandwagon and now mayors of New York.

These guys don't want the status quo. They don't even want your little organic dairy farm Castlekeeper. You're garbage for them to buy and plant trees on and claim carbon credits for biodiversity and that feel good factor for companies.

Forget the twitter channel in the tweet above but the message is the message from the mayor of New York. He looks slow to me. But he's the mayor.

Those advocating this shyte are claiming victim status and this ad hominin crap. And they get away with it too. Look at your own message. It's crap rhetoric. No sense to it. It's like they went to the same school as the Russian media in Cambridge.

Money rules. And money is looking for increased tillage, poorer soils, poorer health in people, more pharmaceuticals, more control on farmers, livestock gone, processed plant shyte with ingredients from fertilizer companies, the fert companies ruling roost with on take/off take crap with no account of biology to government.

Maybe you should play the man a bit more CK because it's the man spewing rubbish. And in our country's case it's more often the women at similar who expect an easier to no reaction when spewing the same rubbish.

Message is the same though you're phucked CK.

When is the LNG terminal decision to be made? The green party may need to rebrand as the offshoring party if ryan approves it.

Not farming related but anyone watching the RTE report on Gerry Hutch?

He was really some sort of a mafia boss. Even to his supposed inside information in the Irish Guards ranks and Spanish police. Very street and people smart of a person. A complete ********. But he seems to have been clever again re the trial. You'd wonder did he engineer it with Dowdall and Garda help? Two men free.

Two wrongs don't make a right (and that's not rhetoric either), and me and our little organic pharm are phar phrom phucked.

Theres plenty trees and biodiversity here already, thanks to the generations before me, and if I've any succes, there'll be a lot more after me.

Don't be worried about the big bad world, unless your going to do something about it, cities are goosed anyway.

Grazing tax next CK. 😉

No biodiversity on livestock farms only on veg farms. Or did you not get the memo from the citizens assembly?

Eat less meat for biodiversity. (No you can't say that) Okay how's eat more plant based for biodiversity? Oh that's fine. It's a positive statement.

I'd nominate you CK for politics. 😎👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Me thinks he not out of the woods yet, probably do him for directing

• Advertisement

No thanks SMN, I've enough to be doing. Is playing the man your MO?

Tbh, mine was always man, ball, and all, when the opportunity arose, but I've mellowed with age.

The CA attempts to be a positive statement to be fair, but misses the heart of the matter imho and ends up either being ignored or ridiculed by most.

Promoting good, healthy, well produced food, and a bit less of it for most of us, might be a better direction.

The biodiversity would look after itself, if given half a chance.

Advertisement