Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dunnes stores jeans here for farm work..can't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I buy them in bulk for OH. They used to be €8 but inflation kicked in and they are now €15/20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

I buy Lee Cooper jeans online for about €20 a pair, 3 pairs at a time when they are on sale online. Keeps me going about the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RockOrBog

Spuds need a lot of water this time of year, I have grew them in the past but I have none in the ground this year. I have a nice low spot lined up for ploughing in the Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dealz have good jeans, think 8 euro. Got a few pairs for oh for fathers day

• Advertisement

In Spain atm. Everything is so much cheaper. We're really being ripped off at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was there myself a month ago. Things are cheaper. They have gone up a good bit since I was last there in 2016. Now, a story.

3 of us went on a day trip in the car. Said we'd visit a vineyard a few miles away from where we were staying. Got there and it was closed. We asked a lad if there was anywhere nearby for grub, and he pointed us to a restaurant sort of overlooking some of the vineyard. Got there and sat down and got a menu. All in Spanish. Staff spoke no English. Right. We tried to muddle through ordering what we half understood on the menu. We thought we ordered 2 chicken dinners and a fish dish. "Gracias." Out came 3 chicken dinners, and 3 fish dinners. Oh. We didn't want to be ungrateful so we ate as much as we could. "Dessert?" "Sí." Shite. Probably didn't need dessert. Ordered something but no idea what. 4 big dishes of stuff landed on the table and we tried our best. It was lovely in fairness but by now we were well bloated. "Café?" "No way boss" we said as we shook our heads and asked for "la cuenta, please". We quickly realised we could be looking at a hefty fee and to say we were shocked to be asked for €45 was an understatement. We gladly paid and gave a twenty tip to which the whole staff were delighted and we got 2 free bottles of wine on the way out.

Morale of the story is go rural if ya can and things are for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

No need for confusion anymore with Google translate on the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ireland is more aligned to Northern Europe for cost & standard of living.

Outside of the tourist areas Spain is a shithole like many Eastern EU counties where stuff is cheap. Including life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ah I have to disagree there, a bunch of us got stuck in Madrid in August about 30 years ago, stayed in a hostel in a cheap part of town well away from the tourist areas. 40 C during the afternoon and the big highlight for us was watching hookers looking for tricks.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Listening to a decent enough podcast so far might be of some interest to sone of ye. Its about a coup against the bookies out in Australia in the 80s. Similar in ways to Barney Curley and the fellas in Limerick/Kerry with the greyhound but an absolute shitshow at the back lf it all.

The Dig Podcast, Season One, The Ring In.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How do wages compare I suppose is the big question... Some serious coin being thrown out for wages here..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Wages don’t make up that much of the cost. Look at McDonald’s in Denmark paying €20/hr with six weeks holidays and yet the cost of a bigmac is cheaper there than the US.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mcdonalds-workers-denmark/

Working with a Sicilian the last while and he was saying his wage back home is €1300/month and he said he was working at something to do with the electrical side of the trams (not sure exactly due to the language barrier) hes here as a GO and has upskilled a bit lately too hes grossing €1300/week at tbe minute he reckons as a C2. His wifes a teacher and he has a son in third level and a young daughter he told me if he wasnt here his son wouldnt be in third level. A pint over there is €2.50-€3 and he reckons Ireland is crazy expensive compared to Sicily. He was showing me pictures of the sea outside his house last week too it was unreal how nice it looked, a hell of a lot better for swimming in than the **** Nore anyways.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My neighbours were at the Clare Limerick match last week with their two young boys. Up in the terraces. This young guy, in his early twenties, bent over as if getting sick. Lifted his head back up and there he was snorting cocaine. No fear, right in front of everyone. If that's not a sign of too much money floating about, I dunno what is.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

We are well on the road to a fcuked up society.

V rural local pub here & its flooded with coke, when you see the owner in her late 70's wiping the sinks/cisterns with wd40 tis a sad reflection of the times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was in Milan 10-15 years ago n was in their version of temple bar. They don't sell pints there , so ordered 5 long necks 330ml - e50 and your man waiting for his tip. Off we went down the road n 5 longnecks of peroni or nastro e50. We had an early night that night!

I haven't complained about drink prices in Ireland since!

Happy fathers day to all the dads

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cheers.

I was banned from the tractor today.

I'd say if I went out the battery is removed from it just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Just looking for some advice....i have a 2 year old strong bullock that has very bad pneumonia (could be fog fever) for the last week......really struggling to breathe....the vets have been out several times...loaded him with a whole range of doses, antibiotics, steroids, painkillers etc....no improvement...he doesnt seem to lie down, lungs under serious pressure, i dont know how he hasnt collapsed yet....

He still has fight in him and is taking in fluids(not eating anything).....

Obviously i can't factory him as he is loaded with drugs, but i hate seeing him suffer and would gladly get the knackery out to put him out of his misery.....but some lads are telling me to hold off as he is too strong yet....

When should i pull the plug on the poor beast...or is there any chance he could recover by himself?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

IMO if your Vet have been out several times with various treatments and he isn't eating then if he was mine I would get either the Vet or Knacker to put him down.

Edit to add - I found a third calved cow a bit off last week when checking them in the morning. She calved early March with no issues. When OH checked her later that evening he noticed a red bubble protruding from her vulva/anus area. We walked her to the yard but she went down before we got there. We gave her nuts, a handful of hay which she ate and left a bucket of water with her. We got the Vet out the following morning and he said that she her uterus was prolapsing and he stitched her. Anyway we rolled her on either side every 4-6 hours every day and used the hip lifter to try and get her to stand. I phoned Knackery to come and put her down on Thursday.

Post edited by Base price on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is a good read, how hard this Boardsie works. Best to luck to him and his family. Lets the wider world know the work involved.

I was just after finishing reading it when i came on here. Hopefully it gives an insight to the urban dwellers the reality of life part time farming. There were two townies in the last place i worked who had SFA to there name and most likely never will. They used to sneer myself and another fella from down my way who would do any overtime we could and never complained about it whereas those fellas reckoned it didnt pay to work saturdays etc. The two of them ended up in the other fellas house one day for tea coming back from a job, this place is in the middle of nowhere now tbf well off the beaten track. The two lads were as odd as two left feet around him for a while, they realised this "jackass from the sticks" had his house a bit of a set up for the kids to live in to save paying extortionate rent and the wife is working out of the house too. I remember the auld fella telling ne when he came home and built the house he didnt put much of a floor in just painted it to keep it clean easier it was basically a shell but all he wanted to do was get home before the kids got too old to move back home. Whereas one of the other fellas wont settle for anything outside rialto and hes really just hanging on there waiting to get the in laws house, hell be rightly fucked if they die intestate or leave it to one of the wives siblings.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Thanks- we were due to go to my brothers for dinner and nieces 16th.

my eldest (8) had conjunctivitis- she has antibiotics for 48hours so it’s not supposed to be contagious then- but my SILs sisters are loopers about that stuff so myself and the eldest were asked to stay away. She was heart broken.

she had wanted to get a bike with some of her communion money so we went to Limerick for the afternoon instead. Just the two of us- peace and quiet.

coqbull for dinner- she took my crumble and I got her kids ice cream. 😂 so she was whistling coming home.

have a bike to put together now. Definition of Father’s Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Sounds a hungry chap alright.

Got tired just reading that.

Aslo have no idea how he earns so much as a civil engineer but yet seems to dedicate f all time to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Very honest and interesting account. Hes some slave for work, I'm not sure my wife would put up with that! The food though is shocking, in many ways, and apart from the exercise, and while normal for many, it doesn't seem like a healthy lifestyle to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Yes, he is beginning to realise that. It brought to mind when I was building the house. A chap told me he had been in town one day, saw a man begging outside a church, he pulled some change from his pocket and gave it to him. The man looked at it, handed it back saying "I don't count brown money". I often thought of that as I counted brown money during the house build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The diet is mostly shite alright. I wonder is it due to the week that was in it? Lad was surviving on 5/6 hours a night. Be very interesting to follow up with them in the winter to see what the lifestyle is like. Dunno if that's a done thing on these articles. I'll be keeping an eye on the page to see what the comments are like. SO far they are all positive but a begrudger can't be far away.

Best of luck to them anyway. I wonder which of ye it is....

In other news, I got the father a few scratch cards for Fathers Day. Rang me there a while ago to tell me he won €200 on one of them

• Advertisement

I remember years ago the tinkers came around. My parents were away and the woman tinker came to the door with a basket of stuff. I took a pair of scissors or something and was giving her coins. She grabbed my hand and said I need paper money . I was scared of her and had to go and raid my dad's trousers for paper money. My mother ran her the next time they called

Advertisement