Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Grueller wrote: »
    I actually know those dunes. Nice spot. In your other photo back towards Arklow rock and Tara Hill would have a lot of nice beaches too in Kilpatrick, Kilmichael, Clogga and Saleen.

Some nice beaches further south too, and with dunes (great for out-wintering cattle previously).

IIRC, there was a New Years Day tradition of walking from Cahore to Wexford along the beaches. If I'm right, it would have been a good walk.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah tbf I wouldn't be far behind you with that - that said - though there's a difference between oddball fundamentalists and being officially sanctioned.

People need to stand to that imo ...

In life yeah, on boards no. The difference is the ordinary punter has no say nor value on here.

Mods being deplorably treated isn't a new feature.

You know the saying, pick your battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In life yeah, on boards no. The difference is the ordinary punter has no say nor value on here. Mods being deplorably treated isn't a new feature.

You know the saying, pick your battles.

Again. In theory I'd agree with the general sentiment. That said giving a small number carte blanche here is not on. We did. Panch wasn't wrong. This one was won.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    And then they deleted the entire thread father than leave it to show the "movement" in a bad light.

If it's the Dairy and Milk thread you're referencing, it's on page two. We actually wanted it deleted to remove the comparisons from public view.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Again. I'd agree. That said giving fundamentalists carte blanche is not on
    Panch wasn't wrong. This one was won.

Panch & Buford are both gone, the thread has been deleted and the **** show, no doubt, on the other forum will continue.

This site is the last place I'd fight that battle. You've seen facts and belief collide, and the result of it. The cancel culture and the grave risk of offending anyone is too strong on here.

• Advertisement

Panch & Buford are both gone, the thread has been deleted and the **** show, no doubt, on the other forum will continue. This site is the last place I'd fight that battle. You've seen facts and belief collide, and the result of it. The cancel culture and the grave risk of offending anyone is too strong on here.

It wasn’t about a single thread btw. Panch and Buford deserve some serious respect. That crap is no longer enshrined in that charter due in no small part to such representations. The discussion went to helpdesk because posters were being silenced on this issue. All it takes for such crap to be allowed is for others to do nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

greysides wrote: »
    Some nice beaches further south too, and with dunes

The best beach in wexford is beside the former tallest flagpole in the UK and Ireland.
    If you know, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

jimini0 wrote: »
    Can you ring them back quick. I was only using it to book a weekend away with the girlfriend. I will definitely pay you back i promise. I have told her we are goin and can't back out now. She will be very disappointed and she gets cross very cross when things dont go her way. Can't use my own or the wife will find out

I've an oul transit van out the back of my house here that some fecker won't come up and take it away. Grand and airy just bring blankets. There's a McDonald's and Supermacs that will cover the two days eating out. The airport not too far away so you can bring her up to watch the planes for a change of scenery.

That's the best I can do horsebox as you cleaned me out last week with your feckin milk replacer and Ann Summers ****e.

I'm on fckin rollies for the rest of the week ta for that.

It wasn’t about a single thread btw. Panch and Buford deserve some serious respect. That crap is no longer enshrined in that charter due in no small part to such representations. The discussion went to helpdesk because posters were being silenced on this issue. All it takes for such crap to be allowed is for others to do nothing...

No one is disrespecting them :confused: I've no intention of visiting the vegan forum, I'd bet that crap will be back, probably not in the charter no, but as I think was argued over there it's acceptable within that thinking so much as Jarry once said, they've not gone away you know.

I'm getting a huge dose of deja vu with a conversation herself and I had over Brian Stanleys comments.

Anyhow, RIP Panch & Buford, hopefully Panch is on another medium also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

NcdJd wrote: »
    I've an oul transit van out the back of my house here that some fecker won't come up and take it away. Grand and airy just bring blankets. There's a McDonald's and Supermacs that will cover the two days eating out. The airport not too far away so you can bring her up to watch the planes for a change of scenery.

That's the best I can do horsebox as you cleaned me out last week with your feckin milk replacer and Ann Summers ****e.

I'm on fckin rollies for the rest of the week ta for that.

Don't remember buying the milk replacer. That could have been the Nigerian lad.
    I cant wear the ann summers stuff now anyways cos you stopped that transaction thanks.

... I'd bet that crap will be back, probably not in the charter no, but as I think was argued over there it's acceptable within that thinking so much as Jarry once said, they've not gone away you know.

Ah here - I think others have already explained it better than I have.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115435648&postcount=267

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Odelay

Jjameson wrote: »
    I was just thinking.,
    That could in itself be a scam. Tread carefully, don’t follow links to bank via the txt. They set up duplicates.

NEVER confirm details or such from messages like this.
    Only a gom robs a bank with a gun now, the smart bucks in Nigeria,Romania are doing it by fishing for details.

Most likely is a scam. People will believe anything seemingly innocent. In the 1979s someone stuck a handwritten note on the front door of an FBI office, “please don’t lock this door tonight’. It worked and they got away with a lot of files.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A reminder that the second part of The Hunger - The Story of the Irish Famine is on after the nine o'clock news tonight on RTE 1.

Odelay wrote: »
    Most likely is a scam. People will believe anything seemingly innocent. In the 1979s someone stuck a handwritten note on the front door of an FBI office, “please don’t lock this door tonight’. It worked and they got away with a lot of files.

If in doubt just ring your bank. That's what I done. They will be able to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Odelay wrote: »

You must listen to the same podcasts I do :p

Ah here - I think others have already explained it better than I have.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115435648&postcount=267

Panch stood up to this in principle and was right to do so. Pity he's gone but hopefully after a bit of time away he will come back. I'd say it took a lot out of him as he was getting it from every angle including some very personal attacks.

If your reading this Panch i wish you well, your prison phone joke i still laugh at it. Enjoy your time away and come back if you can. Wouldn't let any group of <SNIP> on here dissuade you from reactivating your account again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Base price wrote: »
    A reminder that the second part of The Hunger - The Story of the Irish Famine is on after the nine o'clock news tonight on RTE 1.

It was good last week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Jjameson wrote: »
    I was just thinking.,
    That could in itself be a scam. Tread carefully, don’t follow links to bank via the txt. They set up duplicates.

NEVER confirm details or such from messages like this.
    Only a gom robs a bank with a gun now, the smart bucks in Nigeria,Romania are doing it by fishing for details.

Don't click on any links they give either, got one from paypal yesterday but it was BS. So far a genuine message will have your full name on it, not 'dear customer' etc.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Had a call one morning from a lady claiming to be from aib Dublin immediately asking about my debit card number

I said I thought she was a scammer as she hadn't asked for my dob

Sorry sir I forgot can I ask you to verify your dob please.

30 February 1953

That is correct sir and proceeded back re debit card.

Just pressed the mute button and left her be while I had my tea. Gone when I checked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

blue5000 wrote: »
    Don't click on any links they give either, got one from paypal yesterday but it was BS. So far a genuine message will have your full name on it, not 'dear customer' etc.

If you are worried when you receive one of these calls, ring your bank from a different phone, not the phone number they called you on, as they won't have hung up, they will play an imitation ringing tone on the line, stringing you along pretending to be your bank. If they ring you on the landline, ring your bank from your mobile, or visa versa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had one a few months ago claiming to be Microsoft.

When I told him I was Ms security, he wanted my staff number. Called me a scammer when I wouldn't give it to him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I fell for one of those links, having paid my property tax online, I received a bogus email the following day with the revenue logo. I clicked on the link, thinking it was a receipt from Revenue, Norton Anti-virus blocked it, informing me that it was a phishing scam. Forever grateful to Norton, I have it on everything including the mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I used to get a lot of the calls from "Microsoft " technical support which I enjoyed immensely. I always said that I was delighted they called me as my PC was gone immensely slow and consequently every instruction they gave took a couple of minutes. My record was keeping one on line for 32 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Rosahane wrote: »
    I used to get a lot of the calls from "Microsoft " technical support which I enjoyed immensely. I always said that I was delighted they called me as my PC was gone immensely slow and consequently every instruction they gave took a couple of minutes. My record was keeping one on line for 32 minutes :)

My dad does similar. He keeps telling them he's elderly and near deaf and they'll need to explain things slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I had one on the hook for about 4o mins one day. Apparently there was some problem with my computer. I put on the auld fella routine.
    Eventually got bored and told him there was no pc here. What he called me isn’t repeatable. :)

My oul fella got one of the calls and said to the lad at the other end of the line can you call back in 20 minutes as he won't deal with anything computer related. Sure enough he rang back and said he was from eircom. I was going to try and string it out for a couple of minutes but lost the plot and called him every expletive under the sun.

These lads work in call centre environments. Very organised. Absolute parasites.

I was tginking a while back that with so many businesses rushing to get setup online that perhaps people need to keep an eye on their bank accounts a bit more regularly as I'm sure there are loads of sites out there running now that security is an afterthought or something to be looked at at a later date.

Even PCI data security standards testing give sites months to get vulnerabilities closed off, by then it can be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The hunger on now.

OH claims if Liam Neeson was even saying the alphabet she'd listen to him :rolleyes:

wrangler wrote: »
    The hunger on now.

OH claims if Liam Neeson was even saying the alphabet she'd listen to him :rolleyes:

The workhouses were nearly like the concentration camps in Hilter's Germany.

• Advertisement

NcdJd wrote: »
    The workhouses were nearly like the concentration camps in Hilter's Germany.

The illustrations and descriptions would certainly make you think of it. The opening had our beach on it, people left to be taken out by the tide.

Advertisement