Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

When it comes to health and safety, picking holes is exactly what we should do to help us learn.

Stupid actions should always be identified and called out and rightly so.

The behavior of the chap in the video was very naive, and I'd say that would result in a death in 8 out of 10 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

For our tank you just need to lift of the middle section of the agitator slat to get the suction pipe in so it's fairly safe in that respect. I was at a friend's place recently and his shed is fairly new less than 10 years old it was 60% granted approved and all. But he has to lift all the lids off the agitating point to get the safety mesh up before he can put in the suction pipe. I thought it looked a little unsafe compared to ours and like where this chap fell in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nice moon out tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Some people still see dodging H&S as a badge of honour.

I know a few locally with a laughable attitude towards it, if anything ever happens all the usual platitudes will be thrown around but they'd have been completely avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm just watching the remembrance service on RTE +1, it'd make you very aware, all the the children's pictures especially.

Post edited by wrangler on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

A neighbour that doesn’t put up fences- decided to repair the ditch between his and my place- lad he got managed to bury half my wire in my side and break every post- posts weren’t great and wire was strong so when tension came on the wire it snapped every post except the creosoted strainers every 15m.

all Friday evening digging into the wire and trying to sort it as I’d just moved cattle in. Fair sickened. Bloody head cold from the rain and cold now.

back at the willie Clancy for a few Hours with the family to clear the head. I’ll try to get back tonight as I’ve friends down from Cavan; Tyrone, Longford and Dublin. We meet every year here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

Last episode of eco eye just finished, hard to believe it was 21 years on the go

Your one at the end sumed it up best re water quality, too many departments not in sync with each other & nobody ultimately responsible

Sound like a slogan for most things in this country 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Supermoon, too cloudy in Cork to see it tonight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Nail on the head - too many departments. Full stop. If they were in sync, several of them would not be needed. There's a huge incentive for them not to be in sync and to try build their own kingdoms. The fall-out from that is obvious across the country in all walks of life.

Away from the front-line of teachers, nurses, guards, etc., the management and 'executive' types in public and private sectors are more like FAS schemes where lads on the dole cut the grass in the graveyard, pick up litter in the village, etc. But they're very well paid FAS schemes and the people involved spend their days justifying their positions.

Apologies for the rant - I'm in bad form these days, in case you can't tell 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Having one org in charge of various aspects is not ideal either.

Take the EPA. They're in charge of gaseous and water emissions.

What's happening at the moment is they're targeting cows in Ireland over the gaseous emissions but trying to publicise that through water emissions.

Take the mouth pieces. Ella McSweeney on Countrywide last Saturday. She had a real good go at Zoe Kavanagh from the dairy Council over you guessed it cows.

Zoe pointed out the work in the Timoleague catchment with herds in derogation and water N levels falling. This didn't please Ella or the narrative she's being given. So she reminded Zoe that the EPA are calling for the water rates to be 3 instead of what it currently is in the catchment of 5. The drinking water requirement is 10 mg N. But anyway EPA want it to be 3 or else more cows will be culled.

Now move across from the pasture cows derogation area of Cork to the sunshine fendt thousands of acres barley barons of wexford in ballycarney water catchment. The dairy farmers have been feeling the brunt of the N water public media EPA campaign. Hence the work in Timoleague. The barley barons have been feeling none of this. What is the N levels in this tillage catchment. It's 7 and rising. So while you have the campaign to look at the cows, the business as usual of Ballycarney have it rising and not a cow to be seen.

Now if the same rules applied to all you'd have Bobby Miller of the tillage association or someone from the catchment defending and trying to explain on Countrywide how they plan on getting it down to 3. You'd have Ella grilling Bobby why the N levels are rising and questioning what they're going to do about it.

But you know the rest. It's the cows. Now you have an Taisce trying to bring a case to Europe to get the derogation removed entirely. Reason? What they say is the worsening water quality. All on the cow again. Then you had Ella showing Zoe a clip of an interview with Donal Sheehan of the BRIDE wildlife project in Cork recalling in horror how 200 school children told him his cows were bad for the environment. Ella forgot to say how it's an Taisce program in schools is teaching that cows are bad for the environment. So what chance does Donal Sheehan have?

Gone a long way from the original premise of the message. Integrated joined organisations are not always a good thing especially when they've a false message and agenda to sell and each part defends the other.

• Advertisement

If there was joined up thinking & accountability we could then argue about the feasibility of such measures.

At the moment all that's happening is the big wigs push an agenda and it alienates one sector from another

It's a bit like why should I put my rubbish in the bin when the guy in front of me throws it on the ground.

I'm not being flippant but with global emissions continuing to rise, temps on the increase along with extreme weather events coupled with an increase in global population the overall outlook is bleak

A human cull is the only way emissions will be reduced, otherwise its just rearranging the deckchairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Bang on. Too many humans, breed fewer, yet no one mentions this. All they’re worried about is if there are less young wand who will look after them and work to pay our pensions when they’re older. The population can’t continue to increase for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It's not. If ya look at the birth rates of most countries they are well below the 2.4 birth rate average that a population requires to maintain its current level.

World population will start to decline in the next couple of decades.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1251565/total-fertility-rate-in-europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Very true, Chinese population is falling rapidly, while the official figures say it has dropped from about 1.4 to 1.3 billion, I've read many times that it could be as low as 1.1 billion and bottom out at out 0.85 billion by over the heat generation. I'm not saying that's gospel but it's a huge change regardless.

On emissions and resource consumption, the richest 10% (eg us) are responsible for c. 50% of the total so to simply blame populations in less developed areas is incorrect, and ironically, the quickest step to decreasing reproduction rates is increased development, education, and prosperity, but that is all held in check by many factors, of which our extractive capitalist/ colonialist economy is a very significant one.

And yet we are being told more food must be produced to feed the world population

I agree with your statement on the emessions/resources consumption tho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Indeed - the pension argument is particulary potty given it would suggest China would need to quadruple its current population, which would obviously be bad news for the rest of us, not to mention the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its a mixed outlook - Africa will continue to see a massive increase in population which will likely add to existing social and environmental problems there. In terms of the West, the main issue is indeed over consumption and waste, including food

Totally random.

I've been in contact with a laboratory in the European Union that can test a soil sample for methanotrophic bacteria.

This is totally a new development in testing soil. If anyone is seriously interested in this. Contact me by private message.

(Basically a dna test on soil).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Yes Africa will keep a high birth rate but also a high child death rate.

The rest of the world will see a growing elderly population.

Found it amazing that regardless of culture or religion once income goes above a certain level, birth rate declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

World population continues to grow at over two hundred thousand people per day . This idea that the population has to grow at x per cent is unsustainable. It is the same as the metric used to measure growth in companies. There is a belief that a company must grow by x percent every year to be successful.

Both are totally unsustainable concepts that have to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

And it won’t either.

It’s expected to peak around 10bln and then start to slowly drop from there.

not convinced on the whole overpopulation narrative. We’ve lots of resources, they are just poorly divided. We have nations wasting 30-50% of the food they produce while others are starving. That’s not a population problem, that’s a management issue.

Humans think skin colour, language and religion make someone a different race so it’s easier for them to ignore suffering or think “there are too many of them”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Also apart from the waste,there's going to be a shortage of young people in all countries except north eastern Africa.

By the time we reach 10bln & start the slow downward curve alot of damage will have been done.

There has to be a tipping point at some stage, management of anything can improve results, realistically as humans this isnt always achieved nor will be imo

Mother nature is often a great leveller even if it's us that's nudging her on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Was in the post office and apparently people are returning their tv licence renewals marked to be paid by Tubs or Dee Forbes. 😅

We should all return the tv licenced

The flip-flop & balloon revelations today will tipp many over the edge on this

I you believe humans can or have the will to stop carbon emissions now, I've some magic beans to sell you.

Co2 levels are 400 parts per billion. It was in the thousands parts per billion when the dinosaurs roamed and ferns and mushrooms grew as tall as trees.

It took azolla growing in the Arctic Sea to drop the level from the thousands to the hundreds today and that triggered an ice age.

Unfortunately now there's an anti animal element in the climate change debate. A geologist and soil scientist Prof David R Montgomery proclaims it was the invention of steel plough and conquering of the plains of North America that shot co2 levels up from the 1700's dramatically. As well as fossil fuels goes without saying.

Humans today want to make money from climate change without them actually doing a tap of difference.

I don't believe we can or have the will to stop carbon emissions now and that is down to population growth & consumer greed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's falling rapidly in North America and Europe and combined are about 25%, China alone is at 30% and growing rapidly.

The story of Carbon by the century end is going to be dominated by India and China and it will dwarf what the West put out since the industrial Revolution.

There really is no comparison anyone.

It's won or lost in Asia.

Don't anyone jump on me with racist crap or start posting racist crap after this.

If you're that way inclined keep it to yourself for all society.

But anyway since the talk is of human population the above is a interesting take and shock to some Galwegians. Myself included. Interesting none the less in a demographic shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Think of all the Saint names used in Ireland, there is only one name in Islam that there is a onus, near obligation on using for a boy in a family.

Advertisement