Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Notified last week that ESB will be out tomorrow, that's fine. Got a second notice today that it will be off Sat as well. Both to connect new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Heard a nice quote from a farmer trying new ideas.

"You have to give yourself freedom to fail".

Fairly intense thought on lots of levels ..from the financial to the head space of the operator and all between.

Heard a nice quote from a farmer trying new ideas.

"You have to give yourself freedom to fail".

Fairly intense thought on lots of levels ..from the financial to the head space of the operator and all between.

It's a tough way to learn, but very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Water John wrote: »
    Notified last week that ESB will be out tomorrow, that's fine. Got a second notice today that it will be off Sat as well. Both to connect new customers.

My parents forgot they got the notice. They are installing new meters around here.

whelan2 wrote: »
    My parents forgot they got the notice. They are installing new meters around here.

The new meter doesn't take long.
    We're out 7 hours on two days in the one week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

He may be right. Just fails nowadays tend to be expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

New esb meters? Good to see their spending their money wisely on the infrastructure.

Poles in many places round here long overdue for replacing. No doubt if challenged on it,some spin would be put on it claiming "helping customers keep better track of their esb usage thereby environmentally friendly"

Like anyone paying a bill doesn’t know if lights here or there could be done without.

All that without mentioning the soft clipping they give tree branches close to lines,that may well come down in a storm and cause a big outage in areas.

ruwithme wrote: »
    He may be right. Just fails nowadays tend to be expensive

Depends how far you overstretch yourself.

It's a quote all about personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ruwithme wrote: »
    New esb meters? Good to see their spending their money wisely on the infrastructure.

Poles in many places round here long overdue for replacing. No doubt if challenged on it,some spin would be put on it claiming "helping customers keep better track of their esb usage thereby environmentally friendly"

Like anyone paying a bill doesn’t know if lights here or there could be done without.

All that without mentioning the soft clipping they give tree branches close to lines,that may well come down in a storm and cause a big outage in areas.
    Do you think they shouldn't install new ESB meters?

Thankfully as a Nation we all pay for our electricity supply unlike our water supply :mad:
    Edit to add - we recently had ESB engineers relocating two overhead wires in the yard because they thought that they were dangerous due to their vicinity of some farm buildings.

Base price wrote: »
    Do you think they shouldn't install new ESB meters?

Thankfully as a Nation we all pay for our electricity supply unlike our water supply :mad:
    Edit to add - we recently had ESB engineers relocating two overhead wires in the yard because they thought that they were dangerous due to their vicinity of some farm buildings.

National rollout of digital metering. In fairness no complaint about the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

She calved herself this afternoon - a heifer calf. I'm at home since early morning cleaning the house for youngest arrival from Galway. I will take a pic of her tomorrow.
    I have to register/bvd the calf in the next few days and since I don't know the sire what do I input on the birth notification?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I have to register/bvd the calf in the next few days and since I don't know the sire what do I input on the birth notification?
    Leave blank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

blue5000 wrote: »
    I was reading on line a bit about the poor laws and famine relief. Within about a 2 mile radius of the local village there were over 3,600 people living here before the famine, now I reckon there wouldn't be 360 in the same area. It must have been a living hell.

What struck me about the tv program was for years after the famine there were very few children.

On our small 55 acre home farm there are the ruins of 22 pre famine cottages!

Amazing to think that over 150 people lived off that land.

All either died or fled.

Neddyusa wrote: »

All either died or fled.

Would you consider this good land today?

Could you see how they fed themselves off it with the farming practices they had at the time?
    Any unexplained green patches on the farm carrying through from year to year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Would you consider this good land today?

Could you see how they fed themselves off it with the farming practices they had at the time?
    Any unexplained green patches on the farm carrying through from year to year?

Decent land for the West of Ireland - but the Golden Vale it ain't.

The cultivated land would have been <40ac actually - so you're taking 4 people per acre!
    Spuds, and an odd pig was the extent of it I'd imagine. That's pretty intensive production they were depending on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

When things return to something approaching normality, a visit to the Famine Museum in Strokestown house is worthwhile.
    Also, you can now buy seed potatoes of the Lumper variety, if you fancy giving them a try.
    Finally, on a kind of side note, the Dept Ag. have a seed bank type depository up in Donegal near Raphoe.
    They hold over 500 Irish varieties in cold storage, and each year plant a couple of hundred varieties in small plots. These are harvested and in turn placed into storage, to keep the varieties from extinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Decent land for the West of Ireland - but the Golden Vale it ain't.

The cultivated land would have been <40ac actually - so you're taking 4 people per acre!
    Spuds, and an odd pig was the extent of it I'd imagine. That's pretty intensive production they were depending on.

4 people an acre when they lived of spuds with the odd bit of pork and milk

The cottiers rented a plot to but a cottage on and a potato garden, if we hadn't had a famine we probably would have had the urbanisation most of western europe had during the industrial revolution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

All either died or fled.

there are the ruins of 2 cottages on the banks of the river here , totally over grow now as we fenced it off as wildlife sanctuary , but I remember exploring them as a child , these are a good distance from the road and they were stiles at all our gates as aright of way for the owners, we had to widen all the gates once the horse and car era finished so the stiles were demolished

i think they were just 1 room no more than 18' x 12'

there was also a forge near our entrance and a 1 room national school a 100 yards up the road, at the x roads there was a shop

different times and I often regret i didn't gather more info from some of the older generation when I was younger

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

orm0nd wrote: »
    there are the ruins of 2 cottages on the banks of the river here , totally over grow now as we fenced it off as wildlife sanctuary , but I remember exploring them as a child , these are a good distance from the road and they were stiles at all our gates as aright of way for the owners, we had to widen all the gates once the horse and car era finished so the stiles were demolished

there was also a forge near our entrance and a 1 room national school a 100 yards up the road, at the x roads there was a shop

different times and I often regret i didn't gather more info from some of the older generation when I was younger

Never too late, people that were alive during 'the emergency' are getting scarce now. My grand parents probably knew people who survived during the famine when they were kids.

There was an old man who used to fix the lead piping in our old house when I was a kid, he looked in my (very young) eyes to be about 90 at the time. In reality he was about 70 in the 1970's. But talking about him to 2 people who lived near him about 10 years ago, they were able to tell me that the old plumber, who I knew as a kid, had a grand father murdered in Nenagh for bread he had just bought during the famine. Since then the 2 people who told me the story have died too.

Something that should have been done during covid lock down, was that children be encouraged to interview their grand parents about what life was like 60-70 years ago.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Totally agree with you Blue. There's so much local history not written down anywhere on paper. My biggest regret is not spending more time with my grandparents listening and talking to them.

I've a friend approaching the big 70 and he's like an encyclopedia of local know and dates. Any time I'm on the phone to him I could spend an hour and inevitably leads to talk of some local family, house or field. He was telling me last time I was talking to him that his father and an engineer designed and built a walk behind sower for parsnips. Engineer patented it and sold it on to some American company. His father was happy enough to have the device to sow the 5 acres of parsnips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, the famine generation is only just out of living memory.
    My Dad could clearly remember his grand-mother, who was born in 1847 ( and obviously was lucky enough to survive).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

orm0nd wrote: »

The house here started no bigger than that, there's some 2ft external walls internally and the house built on to many times in every direction. I tidied it up a bit in 2000 but I should've hit it with a digger years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Some good local knowledge to be found on the duchas.ie 1938 schools collection https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes

There is talks about a schools project being carried out, but more to do with the psychological affect the Covid it is having on the children

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Some good local knowledge to be found on the duchas.ie 1938 schools collection https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes

There is talks about a schools project being carried out, but more to do with the psychological affect the Covid it is having on the children

During the first lockdown we set up a Duachas account for the youngest here, 12

You can help them by transcribing scanned articles amd typing them out.

We had the 12yo transcribing stories written by children from local schools including far out relations long gone. She found it very interesting. And it helped supplement the school work at the time which was ok but not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

UCD have an archive done in the 1950s iirc by schoolchildren interviewing local elderly people. It is an amazing facility and if you had a relation that was in a primary school at the time you can get access to their handwritten account.

Edited to say it was 1937/38
    https://digital.ucd.ie/view/ivrla:30350

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RTE News at it again with the general gist that agriculture is singlehandedly responsible for all ghg emissions or something...

gozunda wrote: »
    RTE News at it again with the general gist that agriculture is singlehandedly responsible for all ghg emissions or something...

I would disagree with the current approach and would hope latest research in this area is incorporated. However your above line is simply glib and untrue. I have listened to the piece also.
    Will watch again, but I think it said Ag was responsible for 35% of emissions and of that 83% comes from animals.
    These are the figures in the Report unveiled today, not RTE figures. ICBF Dr Kelleher and the Minister for Ag were the two interviewed and both spoke well.
    Edited reason: Got correct figure

I would disagree with the current approach and would hope latest research in this area is incorporated. However your above line is simply glib and untrue. I have listened to the piece also.
    Will watch again, but I think it said Ag was responsible for 35% of emissions and of that 83% comes from animals. These are the figures in the Report unveiled today, not RTE figures. ICBF Dr Kelleher and the Minister for Ag were the two interviewed and both spoke well.
    Edited reason: Got correct figure

No not 'glib' by any means . It may be a 'new' report but its the same old stuff repeated ad nauseum. Firstly report didn't mention that number of cattle are down overall. Just banging on about increase in the 'national herd' relative to dairy. Also ignores gross figures for ghgs include forestry operations etc.

The piece also made big of the agriculture as a sector is the single biggest emitter of ghgs. Again see additiin of forestry etc above and more importantly ignores that fossil fuel consumption in energy production and transport is the single biggest contributer to ghgs here and globally - accounting for approx. 50-70% of all ghgs.

Tbh its about time there was some effort into properly reporting such ghgs calculations. The overall impression I got from that piece was as I have outlined. Not the first time our national broadcaster has beaten that drum to the exclusion of relevant information.

But it isn't the messenger, RTE is to blame. The figures are based on very incomplete and sheer lack of conclusive research. That this research is funded and used to inform the actions needed.
    We know a whole lot on the positive side is not accounted in the figures. That's the battle.

• Advertisement

But it isn't the messenger, RTE is to blame. The figures are based on very incomplete and sheer lack of conclusive research. That this research is funded and used to inform the actions needed.
    We know a whole lot on the positive side is not accounted in the figures. That's the battle.

RTE certainly not providing clarity on the issues either. Hence comment above.

Advertisement