Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He's just a news reporter. He wouldn't have any investigatory abiliity or budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    When things return to something approaching normality, a visit to the Famine Museum in Strokestown house is worthwhile.
    Also, you can now buy seed potatoes of the Lumper variety, if you fancy giving them a try.

Yeah - great spot, always stop off there to walk the dogs on my way down to my place Belmullet.

The introduction of the potatoe in the 17th centuary allowed a population explosion in Ireland from just over 1 million after the Cromwellian wars to over 8million around the famine time. Some Prof actually did the sums on the potential Irish population if the famine and mass emigration hadn't happened. Came out at 200 million in 2020!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yeah - great spot, always stop off there to walk the dogs on my way down to my place Belmullet.

The introduction of the potatoe in the 17th centuary allowed a population explosion in Ireland from just over 1 million after the Cromwellian wars to over 8million around the famine time. Some Prof actually did the sums on the potential Irish population if the famine and mass emigration hadn't happened. Came out at 200 million in 2020!!!!!!!!:eek:

The flax and linen industry allowed the highest population density of Europe to occur in Ireland.

Yet the narrative is always of the Catholic potato grower.
    The northern protestant flax growers occupying the highest density of people per acre in Europe which just happened to be on the island of Ireland is never mentioned.
    History has one as regressive and the other as progressive.

It's not surprising when one writes the history.

https://twitter.com/Limerick1914/status/1333354185874677761?s=20

https://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/famine/agriculture_pre.html

It's the Malthusian propaganda from the British overlords still prevailing down on a foreign land.

*And this is coming from an Irish prod.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Lots of farms in Cavan and Monaghan would have a spot still known as The Flax Hole.
    A section of drain that was particularly deep, typically four feet or so, even after 80 years of neglect.
    The place you were warned as a child to keep away from.
    Highly labour intensive, flax growing and scutching suited areas with larger families, and it was reckoned than an acre of flax could produce enough income to sustain such a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Base price wrote: »
    I have to register/bvd the calf in the next few days and since I don't know the sire what do I input on the birth notification?
    Leave blank
    I tracked down the previous owner of the cow, phoned him this evening and he gave me the tag number for the Limousin bull that is the sire of the calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Lots of farms in Cavan and Monaghan would have a spot still known as The Flax Hole.
    A section of drain that was particularly deep, typically four feet or so, even after 80 years of neglect.
    Highly labour intensive, flax growing and scutching suited areas with larger families, and it was reckoned than an acre of flax could produce enough income to sustain such a family.

Have a field here the known as flax field. May have been used back in the grandmothers early years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Remember trying to retrieve a straying calf back in the 80’s amd I went into a flax hole in neighbouring field. Interesting it’s within maybe 100m of two famine era ruins, one on our land amd one on his. Up to the armpits in a second once I went through the scraw covering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

535712.jpeg

Rough job the last few days. Roots of a tree had grown into a joiner. Joiner wasn't down all that long as it us the new type with the red fittings

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have a field here the known as flax field. May have been used back in the grandmothers early years

Now we grow it for the birds, linseed, funny old world.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I'll just leave this here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »

Horse piss

straight wrote: »
    Horse piss

Nice horse piss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It's never nice to gloat you lucky duck. Pity about the limits on choice of beverage too

Now now lads, that's another Cork beverage and must be treated with respect.

I only had 1. But it was very nice. A long time since I had a pint

Anyone with turkeys? What price are you selling them for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Wouldn’t be my first choice, but it still looks fecking lovely...

Boo to you Whelan!

;):)

Has Whelan opened a Shebeen?

Ear to the Ground is not too bad lately.

It might be even better viewing than Countryfile.

Ear to the Ground is not too bad lately.

It might be even better viewing than Countryfile.

Agreed. Not sure who has editorial control on it but it has shifted a good deal.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Agreed. Not sure who has editorial control on it but it has shifted a good deal.

They have their ear to the ground alright for the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thank God IFA have Brian Rushe on Prime time, Tim Cullinan didn't do very well on the news, someone obviously wrote his speech, He even had to turn back the page at one stage, he mustn't have even read it over beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

You got in before me wrangler. Saw tim live on six one.can't say i ever seen a ifa man before live on t.v reading pretty much direct of a script.

Twas a statement he made. Seemed quiet uncomfortable there. Brian rushe on the other hand seems comfortable and knowledgeable

ruwithme wrote: »
    You got in before me wrangler. Saw tim live on six one.can't say i ever seen a ifa man before live on t.v reading pretty much direct of a script.

Twas a statement he made. Seemed quiet uncomfortable there. Brian rushe on the other hand seems comfortable and knowledgeable

The subject has been so topical for the last four years, he should be well able to discuss it without script, it's not as if it's a small issue that wasn't discussed often.
    He might be very clever but he wasn't the person for the job, he was elected for standing at the gates by people that knew nothing about him.

A perfect example of a'' rabbit in the headlights''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Anyone with turkeys? What price are you selling them for ?

We've a few here, just for family/friends and the a couple of others.
    I dunno what they're making this year. €5.50/lb oven ready the boss tells me .
    FWIW Ours are single breasted bronze free range etc.

wrangler wrote: »
    The subject has been so topical for the last four years, he should be well able to discuss it without script, it's not as if it's a small issue that wasn't discussed often.
    He might be very clever but he wasn't the person for the job, he was elected for standing at the gates by people that knew nothing about him.

A perfect example of a'' rabbit in the headlights''

I went to two of the election candidate meetings. Wouldn't know the background info on any of them but on night analysis would have put Nigel Relihan a good bit ahead of the other two. Being able to speak articulately and be media savvy are basics for any of these roles nowadays.

We've a few here, just for family/friends and the a couple of others.
    I dunno what they're making this year. €5.50/lb oven ready the boss tells me .
    FWIW Ours are single breasted bronze free range etc.

Do you have to have approved slaughter facilitates by the food safety authority or the dept of ag or ?? if killing poultry for sale?
    I've family used to do it big time with turkeys on farm.

Something I saw in the news lately with a farmer killing geese was stopped from killing geese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

ruwithme wrote: »

One of the worst and most awkward appearances ever seen on the news I’d say. Like a child in a school play that forgot their lines. You could tell he wasn’t at all comfortable there. Can’t say I ever remember seeing anybody reading from a script on a live news interview before. I know nothing about the man or his capabilities so I won’t make comment there but surely there is a more “media friendly” member of IFA that can be put forward for them roles?

DBK1 wrote: »
    One of the worst and most awkward appearances ever seen on the news I’d say. Like a child in a school play that forgot their lines. You could tell he wasn’t at all comfortable there. Can’t say I ever remember seeing anybody reading from a script on a live news interview before. I know nothing about the man or his capabilities so I won’t make comment there but surely there is a more “media friendly” member of IFA that can be put forward for them roles?

President is the face of Irish farmers......

Mod Snip.... That's a deplorable comment, no matter how you feel about the man. No place for it here. You shouldn't need me to point this out to you. Please don't sink to this level again. Thanks. GC

Deputy Pres Ruari Deasy took over and he was a brilliant representative. Tim should know better than to do what he did tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Do you have to have approved slaughter facilitates by the food safety authority or the dept of ag or ?? if killing poultry for sale?
    I've family used to do it big time with turkeys on farm.

Something I saw in the news lately with a farmer killing geese was stopped from killing geese.

I've no idea.

Advertisement