Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

IT’s behaviour on the roads not just the default position u hear in the media speed full stop.that’s the problem.

past couple of weeks I’ve seen the strangest things on the templemore thurles road of idiotic car drivers.and I can spot the ones using mobile phones while driving.head down phone in hand and not looking at the road. Passing out a line of traffic and a bend up ahead is a new one .sure I’ll cut in anyway seems to be the attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i was in Amsterdam last weekend. Really enjoyed the break. Had started a new job and was working big hours putting shape on things so was getting a slight bit burnt out. Great city and lovely place. Would like to go back again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thats why there is internationally recognised criteria used for listed buildings. Problem is some developers deliberately let buildings that could be repurposed, run down, and then claim they have to demolish. I see several examples of that in my home village back in Kildare where early Victorian structures in the core of the village that were being used up to 15 years ago as a health clinic and a school, change hands, with the new owner deliberately letting the building go rot, leading to dereliction, anti-social behaviour etc. Obviously if a building is beyond saving and is a safety issue it needs to come down, but the problem is yet another example in this country of light touch regulation when it comes to elements in the construction industry, alone the lines of the Mica etc. issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

My own village at home is fecked with run down houses and buildings along the main street. And it's not developers who own them. Those that were there died out and left them to someone. Usually someone who has their own place somewhere else, or fecked off altogether. Cost mad money to bring right now. A few went up for sale but sales fell through cos the council refused planning to bring them up to some standard. They'll be left to rot and continue to be an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Aye. It's total bull. And if you question the why, it's passed off as a score based on the programme for government and how the government are faring in these areas based on what they wrote in 2020 when forming the current government. In other words, smoke and mirrors. No one looks into the report, just the headlines and the headlines once again is agriculture is bad and everyone involved should be shot before they set the planet ablaze riding bareback on dairy cows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This is going to mess with Vegans.

A novel use for Easi Singles. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH and I do a lot of driving on rural roads especially at this time of the year when we deliver straw to customers. The schools are back and mammy or daddy are on the school run. I presume modern cars, suv's have bluetooth that automatically connects the phone to the in car speakers. I wonder cause every day I see mostly women tipping along, holding the phone to their ear whilst steering with one hand and trying to frantically brake when they see that they can't pass me without slowing down. The other thing that I notice is that the majority of drivers that I meet in those situations can't reverse in any sort of coordinated fashion. I have a dash cam in the lorry for a just in case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There’s two other reasons for this of course.

Revenue - massive jump in revenue from shooting fish in a barrel. Bringing local and regional roads down to 60mph will generate massive revenue. Expect to see the guards out competing with the gosafe vans for prime spots

Emissions - the greens will be wetting themselves at the potential reduction in fuel consumption and thus lowering emissions.

It’s the usual tinkering around the edges for optics rather than addressing the actual problem in that there is essentially zero chance of being stopped for motoring offences. I drive maybe 60k kms a year between work and leisure and am stopped maybe twice a year. The last three times I was stopped was at the same spot on same road. Drivers need to believe they will come across a checkpoint most days/weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

I met more checkpoints in one day during covid, than I have met in the total of the last ten years. Where did all the guards appear out of during covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Unsustainable overtime.

We have a poorly staffed underpaid force. Not much wonder there’s no enforcement.

But hey, big crackdown on dodgy boxes 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Alot of posts on f&f today..

Big haul this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Awful bad year for open water training with our local club here we hadnt swam in town since late June up until this week (i think the council stopped monitoring it last week as the seasons up). Swimming upstream from town where we were surrounded by farmland however was nice enough even after some heavy rain at times. After seeing the state of the river this summer in the town im not imclined to rush in next year again however last year was a hell of a lot worse i thought due to the drought and there was no bacteria warnings in place.

Better living everyone

I've been spurned into buying a nitrates tester. I've my own work to test it on but I'll test the outflow from the village sewage system into a stream here too just for the curiosity.

Humans are getting away with absolute murder and going by all the anti farmer press by those that test. Proves there should be an independent non biased testing system in place. Bar that then a farmer funded testing system to test and watch the watchers.

A local beach here has a do not swim advisory just now. It's curious to me as it's relatively open to the ocean and there are sfa septic tanks, no slurry or fert applications. I wonder is it the hot weather.

Can't really look without knowing the beach name but if it's Clifden galway there's a year long do not swim advisory notice issued in March this year.

But the last water sampling result a few days ago came back excellent.

From Beaches.ie

No, Clifden beach is a shithole, literally.

There was a cruise ship around recently but it was well out to sea.

• Advertisement

It was one big jump in intestinal bacteria alright. And it was excellent. Very excellent up to that.

I wouldn't exclude the ship. The sh1t could still be brought in by the current and only the crew know exactly where they emptied the tanks. Otherwise holiday homes maybe and a pipe straight to a waterway but you'd wonder why it wouldn't show before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Off to Paris for two nights with the OH- first time away from the children in 8years.

the only thing keeping the 5yo boy going was he had football training and it was cancelled, 🙈

on the road to Dublin airport, i pulled in front of a non moving bus with 4 car spaces in front of him- I indicated- he blew me out of it and proceeded walk up to my car to feck me out of it for dangerous driving.

hand on the window so it wouldn’t close and threatened to report me.

i politely said if he watched his dash cam, the only person in the wrong was him.

he had a northern uk accent and uk Reg but,

another car behind me tried a similar manoeuvre to me and he blew him out of it and put foot on pedal.

he then proceeded to change lanes realising he shouldn’t be in queue for the airport and flew up towards the city.

Ive bus company and reg taken if he even tries anything,

does wind you up a bit though.

Post edited by kollegeknight on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Just report him to the bus company. Either he is an areshole and deserves what he gets, or he is on drugs, cocaine or something. In my experience, that kind of unreasonable behaviour is down to drugs. Let the bus company review the dashcam footage and make their own decision before the footage is overwritten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

There's alot of septic tanks not working, and percolation area's with a pipe coming out of them taking the pressure off the tank. I don't know that area in particular but I have seen enough of the older tanks in connemara that have nowhere right to percolate between bog and rock that could really do with improvement. I'd say local authorities would be more to blame for leeching than farmer's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

He was an old enough chap so I doubt drugs. Definitely small man syndrome.

I don't see how it'll correct bad driving habits and poor attention (phones.....). Is it cynical of me to think this is more one trick ponyism in giving Government more opportunities to collect money without achieving much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

Hundreds of academics call for 100% plant-based meals in colleges

Those that shout loudest will get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Had a guy coming at well over 100kmh veering across the road today and looking down at his phone. It's a bit close when you can see the fickers face

Too close a call

There was a Ted talk seemingly of an investment banker who was recommending genetically modifying humans to get physically sick from eating meat.

I didn't bother watching it. But the crazies are among us.

It's really gone too far. It's a religion but a religion that's harmful. I was at a talk once of a researcher about cows and the carbon cycle and he was going to list the health benefits of meat and the difference in plant only. His superiors from a college and an ag research group here were there to make sure he didn't say plant only was not a complete diet for a human. I could see them when he was about to go there. It's a complete farce. Driven by money and intimidation. The pharmaceutical industry makes more money. The fertiliser and plant protection industries makes more money. Yara was among one of the sponsors of the Eat Lancet campaign. Those in the game need more land to survive than livestock farmers. So bigger more expensive machinery to cover those acres. The farmers get fewer. The less time to micromanage the crops so the more reliant on the plant protection products. The happier the pharmaceutical companies are because of these plant protection products being used. And that follows too to more mineral supplements being needed.

And to follow to the environmental impact. The land is tilled to grow these crops. So that's higher nitrates released to waterways. That leads again to more fertiliser being needed. So that's Yara pleased.

But the religion is pleased and they tell everyone it's for the environment.

Really really dangerous time for agriculture. And people and their health.

There's a reason people in western Europe grew to be big and strong especially in Holland. It was because of more meat and dairy in the diet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m hoping to plant some hedging here over the coming months. Around 100m to start, between two paddocks.

Is this the book that was recommended on here a few weeks back?

”New Hedges for the Countryside” by Murray Maclean

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement