Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Base price wrote: »
    How does a all in one fusion baler chop silage/haylage. Does it cross chop it or just on the round iykwim.
    Reason I'm asking is that we normally make hay off my Uncle's land but this year due to the weather we made haylage. I asked the guy to chop it and add extra layers of plastic. I've been using the bales over the last few days and it's ok handling them with the 50b but I have to wheelbarrow some of it into a shed for the bull and it's like pulling a hawser outta the water.

We got 5-6 bales of hay off a local chap here last year. It was an absolute nightmare to feed, really short. Would take you 3-4 attempts to put out the same amount of feed as with ‘normal’ hay. The only conclusion I came to was it was chopped.

5-6 bales might not seem like a lot but 8 would do us the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Dark mornings for another wee while. 6 more minutes to loose off the mornings before they reach their darkest.

We got 5-6 bales of hay off a local chap here last year. It was an absolute nightmare to feed, really short. Would take you 3-4 attempts to put out the same amount of feed as with ‘normal’ hay. The only conclusion I came to was it was chopped.

5-6 bales might not seem like a lot but 8 would do us the winter.

I had a self feed system going with round bales which worked well until the last two I put out. The bale practically disintegrated, I think the hay was chopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Love this and I can identify with it - book is definitely on my Christmas list.

https://www.jimobrien.ie/

It’s the same story with the masks. You’re driving into town and suddenly you remember - at least, you remember you’ve forgotten it. Panic strikes, the blood leaves your face and, without stopping the car you begin to rummage around the seats hoping there’s one somewhere. You feel around the glove compartment, you put your hands down the side pocket – there might be one tangled in the myriad of biros, empty sweet wrappers and discarded till receipts. As a last resort you lean across to check the side pocket at the passenger side. This is the trickiest manoeuvre, how do you lie across two seats and search for a face mask while keeping an eye on the road, a hand on the steering wheel and control of the car?

Sometimes you find yourself in the shop before you realise you’re maskless. You wonder why people are staring at you and taking a particularly wide berth as you peruse the less frequented shelves in search of soya sauce and mixed herbs. When it dawns on you that you are unmasked it’s like discovering your fly is wide open. To make matters worse, there is no place and no way to discreetly rectify the mortifying costume malfunction.

I was standing at the coffee machine in a local emporium a number of days ago when a rather corpulent man beside me, who was waiting for his skinny latté to emerge, said, “I see you’re not a fan of the auld masks?” It was then it dawned on me that I was pandemically naked. Emitting an expletive that would have singed a hole in any face covering, I abandoned my half-filled, regular Americano and dashed back to the car.

Returning to the shop, masked to the eyeballs, I met my coffee comrade on his way out. “You didn’t go all the way back to the car, did you?” he asked, “there was no need, I could have given you a loan of mine.”

_Brian wrote: »
    I rang about a van that came on the market lunchtime yesterday.
    He text me to say it was sold, 8 enquiries in two hours nearly all couriers. Had a deposit on it by 5:30 without even a test drive.

I had a text this morning at 7.14am that a package had been left at the side of the house for me. They're under serious pressure when they're out here at that time of day on a Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

I got the better half a pair of Aigle Parcours 2...

She uses hand-me-downs and if it encourages a few calves to get fed then all the better.

They're a good few sizes too small for me but sure I had to try one on for a minute.

Jesus they're incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I had a text this morning at 7.14am that a package had been left at the side of the house for me. They're under serious pressure when they're out here at that time of day on a Saturday.

I think the postman has been great this year. Crazy busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I got the better half a pair of Aigle Parcours 2...

She uses hand-me-downs and if it encourages a few calves to get fed then all the better.

They're a good few sizes too small for me but sure I had to try one on for a minute.

Jesus they're incredible.

My boot of choice! I agree , a great boot.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think the postman has been great this year. Crazy busy.

Best thing our postman says to me is, nothing for you today.

It’s the same story with the masks. You’re driving into town and suddenly you remember - at least, you remember you’ve forgotten it. Panic strikes, the blood leaves your face and, without stopping the car you begin to rummage around the seats hoping there’s one somewhere. You feel around the glove compartment, you put your hands down the side pocket – there might be one tangled in the myriad of biros, empty sweet wrappers and discarded till receipts. As a last resort you lean across to check the side pocket at the passenger side. This is the trickiest manoeuvre, how do you lie across two seats and search for a face mask while keeping an eye on the road, a hand on the steering wheel and control of the car?

Sometimes you find yourself in the shop before you realise you’re maskless. You wonder why people are staring at you and taking a particularly wide berth as you peruse the less frequented shelves in search of soya sauce and mixed herbs. When it dawns on you that you are unmasked it’s like discovering your fly is wide open. To make matters worse, there is no place and no way to discreetly rectify the mortifying costume malfunction.

I was standing at the coffee machine in a local emporium a number of days ago when a rather corpulent man beside me, who was waiting for his skinny latté to emerge, said, “I see you’re not a fan of the auld masks?” It was then it dawned on me that I was pandemically naked. Emitting an expletive that would have singed a hole in any face covering, I abandoned my half-filled, regular Americano and dashed back to the car.

Returning to the shop, masked to the eyeballs, I met my coffee comrade on his way out. “You didn’t go all the way back to the car, did you?” he asked, “there was no need, I could have given you a loan of mine.”

I have one hanging from the Eflow tag, some impressive forward thinking from them. :P

• Advertisement

I have one hanging from the Eflow tag, some impressive forward thinking from them. :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I was saddened to hear of the death of Charlie Pride this morning, RIP. He was a pioneer of country music and a very talented individual. I think he had something like 30 number 1 county hit singles in a career spanning more than 5 decade's. Sadly there's very few people remaining from the golden years of country music in the latter part of the last century, it's a cliche but by and large they don't make music like that anymore.

I was saddened to hear of the death of Charlie Pride this morning, RIP. He was a pioneer of country music and a very talented individual. I think he had something like 30 number 1 county hit singles in a career spanning more than 5 decade's. Sadly there's very few people remaining from the golden years of country music in the latter part of the last century, it's a cliche but by and large they don't make music like that anymore.

My dad was a dancehall bouncer and my gran was tea lady, always plenty of great stories from the showband era. Sometimes he talked as fondly of the fights as the bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Odelay

Fine speech from Declan Hannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Easy enough win for them. They've a great team in fairness.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Reckon face masks have overtaken MagicTrees as the new number one windscreen item ;)

Imagine no one would have thought this time last year thinking face masks would be so important this year

Imagine no one would have thought this time last year thinking face masks would be so important this year

Indeed.
    Amazing how easily we’ve grasped them when we had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not log ago, during the early summer, some shoppers would be looking at you if you had a mask on, now the same would look at you if you didn't.
    It's interesting to what flips, as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I wonder how much Ireland's spend on facemasks is so far this year.

• Advertisement

NcdJd wrote: »
    I wonder how much Ireland's spend on facemasks is so far this year.

Gaa store have reusable masks for a euro atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Gaa store have reusable masks for a euro atm.

I never went with the reusable always the disposable, scared I wouldn't wash them right ! My brother gave me a load of them with the company logo but I gave them to my neighbour for wearing when he's feeding hay to his cattle. Was delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

_Brian wrote: »
    My dad was a dancehall bouncer and my gran was tea lady, always plenty of great stories from the showband era. Sometimes he talked as fondly of the fights as the bands.

we used to travel half the country following the showbands , dance halls in the winter and marquees from easter on

a lot of the band members were sound out and & if there were a few drinks going afterwards would get you in on the qt

NcdJd wrote: »
    I never went with the reusable always the disposable, scared I wouldn't wash them right ! My brother gave me a load of them with the company logo but I gave them to my neighbour for wearing when he's feeding hay to his cattle. Was delighted with them.

Throw 5 into a pillowcase here each evening into the washing machine. Dry on aga overnight

I was putting down skirting board for a friend of mine today. Payment was lunch and a bottle of whiskey.
    Around 1 o clock he goes ‘what d’ya want for lunch? I’m gonna order it.’ He got out his phone and ordered McDonalds delivered to the house. :O
    What a world we live in haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I was putting down skirting board for a friend of mine today. Payment was lunch and a bottle of whiskey.
    Around 1 o clock he goes ‘what d’ya want for lunch? I’m gonna order it.’ He got out his phone and ordered McDonalds delivered to the house. :O
    What a world we live in haha

McDonalds is some shyte, tastes great eating it, but you'd be hungry in an hour after...
    And a roast dinner in a carvery is usually cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    McDonalds is some shyte, tastes great eating it, but you'd be hungry in an hour after...

You couldn't put it down as a fulfilling experience.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Ah lookit, it wouldn’t fill a hole in your tooth. But it was a change from a roll from the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Throw 5 into a pillowcase here each evening into the washing machine. Dry on aga overnight

Use a baby bottle UV steriliser unit to sterilise masks which can't be washed but are good for a couple of uses.

Also good for sterilising other small items. You can do car keys etc in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Odelay wrote: »
    Fine speech from Declan Hannon.

I thought it was brutally boring, he might as well have reading a list of ingredients from a recipe, hardly a word of Irish, nothing personal, not to mind a song.

Advertisement