Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    Saw the leaked video of gmit lecturers belittling students.
    Very bad form, unfortunate that it got leaked. It could be career ending stuff for those involved.

Imagine the parents paying for such poor effort by their children

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Very bad form, unfortunate that it got leaked. It could be career ending stuff for those involved.

Why? Nothing said that wouldn't have been said in private. Sometimes people need to get this appraisal to their face instead of just a mark on a page/email and not really having any idea how/why they got such a mark.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have you a link Brian?

Wrangler will you stop being a WUM this early in the morning, some readers here are probably parents of college age kids, thanks.:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Didnt listen to the lecturers. It shouldn't have been made public , but these things happen. I'm sure we've all sent messages to the wrong person or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve just watched it and I don’t think it’s that bad at all. It appears to be the marking of a video presentation exercise the students completed. While there is an odd swear word used that I’m sure the lecturers won’t use on the report card it’s not as outrageous as it’s being made out. It’s probably an honest assessment of the students and while definitely an apology is required the students could do worse than take that honest critique on board and make improvements.

If I was one of the students mentioned I’d be delighted, I’d imagine their grading by all the other lecturers will improve now so as not to seem like they’re being targeted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

She referred to one of the students by name as “sick”

I appreciate people have different standards but that’s not right. Many many students would just shrug this off, but for many vulnerable students it may only take something as callous as this to have serious consequences.

She referred to one of the students by name as “sick”

I appreciate people have different standards but that’s not right. Many many students would just shrug this off, but for many vulnerable students it may only take something as callous as this to have serious consequences.
    Was she referencing the student in general as “sick” or the content of his presentation as “sick”? I took it up as the latter so without any knowledge of either the topic, or content, of the presentation the students made, we can’t make a call on whether her judgement of it is right or wrong.

DBK1 wrote: »
    Was she referencing the student in general as “sick” or the content of his presentation as “sick”? I took it up as the latter so without any knowledge of either the topic, or content, of the presentation the students made, we can’t make a call on whether her judgement of it is right or wrong.

Directed specifically at the student.

“He’s sick that lad”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has Gerard Houlier died?

Has Gerard Houlier died?

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

blue5000 wrote: »
    Have you a link Brian?

Wrangler will you stop being a WUM this early in the morning, some readers here are probably parents of college age kids, thanks.:cool:

Some students thought they were going to get away with giving the lecturers the mushroom treatment, any parents I see are sacrificing a lot to pay for third level.
    I always have my doubts of the efficiencies of ''working from home''

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Unfortunate my hole, its a disgrace that people are talking about students like that, I'm sure you'd have plenty to say if teachers were asking "if there was something wrong" with your kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    Some students thought they were going to get away with giving the lecturers the mushroom treatment, any parents I see are sacrificing a lot to pay for third level.
    I always have my doubts of the efficiencies of ''working from home''

Lots of bosses with same attitude
    If I don’t see you working then you could be doing more
    But the forget the various projects they request

Has Gerard Houlier died?

Yup. Aged 73

Directed specifically at the student.

“He’s sick that lad”
    But without knowing what the student said or done in the presentation we don’t know if that’s right or wrong.

This absolutely shouldn’t have happened over a video call that had the possibility of being recorded and getting out but anyone that thinks these types of conversations don’t happen between lecturers/teachers about students and vice versa will have a rude awakening when they hit the real world.

And not to be just singling out lecturers/teachers; you can be sure them conversations take place in every workplace, family etc.

Much ado about nothing I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Look like us Cork lads are if for a bit of wind tonight, orange level warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

DBK1 wrote: »
    But without knowing what the student said or done in the presentation we don’t know if that’s right or wrong.

This absolutely shouldn’t have happened over a video call that had the possibility of being recorded and getting out but anyone that thinks these types of conversations don’t happen between lecturers/teachers about students and vice versa will have a rude awakening when they hit the real world.

And not to be just singling out lecturers/teachers; you can be sure them conversations take place in every workplace, family etc.

Much ado about nothing I’d say.

Snowflakes. The lot of them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

NcdJd wrote: »
    Since I seen that post last night I can't get mcdonalds out of my head. Large big mac meal, two extra portion of chips and a bun burger. Might pop up to the airport at the weekend and make a pig of myself.

Sorry :D

It was a pure novelty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

How would you classify a person that in the dead of night, fly tips a load of slurry into your slatted tank?
    Wasn't seen and don't know who it was but tracks in the yard, lids not closed properly, tank level apparently higher all seem to indicate it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

TPF2012 wrote: »
    How would you classify a person that in the dead of night, fly tips a load of slurry into your slatted tank?
    Wasn't seen and don't know who it was but tracks in the yard, lids not closed properly, tank level apparently higher all seem to indicate it happened.

A rooter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Some neck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I would double check it wasn't something else which was put in ...

Any idea who it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Time for camera's I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

gozunda wrote: »
    I would double check it wasn't something else which was put in ...

The emptying of a Septic tank?

Bullocks wrote: »
    The emptying of a Septic tank?

Possibly. With the heavy rain lately.

Was there no locks on the gates OP

Maybe it was a Christmas present

whelan2 wrote: »
    Maybe it was a Christmas present

Lovely present

Maybe they thought they were stuck for slurry

Reggie. wrote: »
    Lovely present

Maybe they thought they were stuck for slurry

A crap present.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I suppose you could call him environmentally conscious...

Advertisement