Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Sorry to hear that gruelling. May he rest In peace.

Have a great bond built with my dog too. I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We've a cat here and she's like a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Very short notice.

Possibilty of a storm tomorrow night.

The sooner people just stop trying to be carbon heroes the better for themselves and those around them.

I see now Nestle are making Fonterra put pressure on new Zealand farmers to drop emissions by 30%.

The phucks Nestle won't have to do a dam thing only watch the farmers eat their own tail till there's nothing left.

We've all the attention on livestock. But no attention to the soil and growth. So livestock farmers will start consuming themselves to please those further up for no more monetary gain.

Meanwhile we've soil disturbance farmers being rewarded and encouraged to release soil carbon and release nutrients.

I gave two phucks a few years back about carbon and biodiversity but I see as a livestock farmer there's another agenda at play not to recognise that. So rightly imo I've now changed that you are better to not give a pluck and cynically carry on only to look after number one because there's too many bulls***ers that can easily call shots while not affecting their income or environment or climate.

Sin é.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

That's a very pessimistic post from you.

Not saying I disagree, (I do 100%) but you are the bellwether of soil, bugs and generally hopefull clever farming here, so I hope that was a beer post..

If not, the rest of us are proper f**ked.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

Combination of things is getting to me.

Dublin politician criticising a minister promoting beef exports. Citing biodiversity loss as their motive.

This Nestle crap which won't affect themselves one bit. But have farmers pulling financial and physical gymnastics for no gain any way. Fonterra were worse accepting this.

I see a dairy consultant in England put up a post praising a farmer for using no fossil fuels in cows self feeding at a silage pit and they walking silage into the ****.

A regenerative dairy farmer in New Zealand showed his boundary field of long grazing and diverse plants and the neighbour has his field sprayed off with glyphosate with no cover and they are going with strip till to sow oats for oat juice for humans.

And myself. I can see you can have too much carbon in a soil in pasture and it becomes a harm instead of a help in plant growth.

I'll change my mind in an instant so not overly worried. 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

Just had an organic steak ...i wouldn't be rushing back to buy another. It tasted grand but I still feel hungry after it. It was on the thin side.

Normally buy conventional steaks but the look of the one's left over in the supermarket didn't look appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

I was planning to install a calf feeder next month. See Revenue won't all you to reclaim the VAT now. Will cost an extra €3k if that's the case. Have a 40% grant but totally useless now. Hard to know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ak84

Went to register a calf on herd watch and cow is 282 days since last birth.

Now the problem is that last year's calf was probably 3 months old when tagged and registered.

Just wondering would it be red flagged to the department about something like this if I register now?

Yes. It will. It happened a neighbour of mine and only for a very clever and benevolent dept official there would have been serious repercussions. Can't remember exactly what but they wouldn't have been good.

Wait a bit less than last time I think...

Edit: just reread and its 282 so that's possible - premature calf etc... but I'd still wait a week or two.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

I just had a steak, someone cut it too thin and it wasn't great therefore steak is sh1t and I'm going to eat lamb in future.

That's pretty much what you said.

Like every other thing Organic produce varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Do you mean an Auto feeder? Surely thats classed as a fixed item?

You will never see me eat lamb!

I see nothing wrong with organic in fact had organic turkey once and it was beautiful.

It was just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Why don't you eat lamb? Is it a taste thing or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Its amazing the amount of people that do not eat lamb due to the above-taste,fatty meat and smell reason.Alot of this is caused by the ram lambs that are been killed at this time of year that tend to have a high level of testrostrone that can give a taint to the meat.This is very off putting and would run you out of the house with the smell which is the reason that the majority of butchers will only kill ewe lambs in the backend of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

Yeah an auto feeder. Lads are unable to get VAT back even if it's bolted onto concrete. Same issue now for drafting gates. I heard this was happening but thought it would be resolved but not going by the the Farmers Journal. Revenue confirmed their position. Can't justify one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Revenue need to get the finger out and ensure that auto feeders are VAT exempt. We have a dairy bull calf welfare issue coming down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Heavy meal feeding and stubble rape cause also cause an unpleasant taste, meal feeding lightens the colour and makes the fat very greasy. mid June to November killed ewe lamb off a grass only diet or hogget in April is the only sheep meat I’d touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

I had a lovely Her steak today. Slightly overdone but lovely flavour. Imo important to have steaks cut thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Best steak I had recently was a Dexter "Mountain Steak" from a herd reared on natural pasture in the Knockmeldowns while on a recent trip to Tipp. Some flavour and texture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry, see you said Dexter. Place in Boyle doing them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Reverse sear would be my preferred method of cooking a steak but its not my everyday way of cooking it. I have a few T Bones in the fridge here i wasnt up for cooking last week as i was down with Covid. I was surprised to learn the beef im buying is mainly Limousin the size of the steaks is the only real giveaway. Plenty of fat through the meat. Ive heard mixed reviews about the beef where i buy it some lads reckon its disgusting however i reckon its just tasting the way beef is supposed to. I could count on one hand and have a few fingers left over how many times ive bough supermarket beef this year and there simply is no comparison to the good stuff. I remember checking at one stage the price comparison to a european retailer with the good stuff. The Sirloin i was buying was €12.50/kg while the non premium sirloin that supermarket was retailing at was €17.50/kg so not only was it better eating it was easier on the pocket too.

EV Slack and Sons butchers are across social media platforms comparing there cuts to supermarket cuts if anybody has any interest in looking at it a biy more. I think they won some British Farming Award similar to Caleb and Jeremy for their work promoting British Farming.

Better living.

Better living everyone

I've a 29 month old Dexter bullock hanging since Oct 24th. Should be ready later this week. First of my home calving/rearing.

Never ate a single mouthful of ration only a couple of bales of silage each winter.

Looking forward to those steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A young lad down the road shot a stag on our land on a Friday evening, he arrived up on the sunday with venison steaks, i gave them to the dog. Surely it should be hanging alot longer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Stags aren't as nice, killed a 2 Yr old Norwegian than was empty, filled the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

My mother still tells the story about when dad brought the same meat home. It took days to get the smell out of the hose when she tried to cook it. Stag meat btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Goat is a very tasty meat if you ever get a chance to taste it

Advertisement