Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RockOrBog

He knows well he was there shortly after trying to round up the animals with a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Any block layer will grab for that job@2/block and be delighted. Lot of lads with sites closed over Christmas's would actually love it. 2-3 days work

Bass I can only assume you've not been involved in sourcing tradesmen in the last few years and your expectations are crazy tbh. 2-3 days work??

They would do well to have the foundations marked and poured with footings started in that time, & expecting block layers to turn up over Christmas is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Cheers for that. I did a bit of pricing this morning for the materials as I wasn't sure of current pricing. I wasn't too far off as it turned out.

I allowed for a full lorry load of sand and about 60 bags of cement to cover blockwork and plastering, that's the only quantity I'm unsure of material wise. I could be way off there.

It's a tricky one, I don't want to piss him off or he will tell me to work away and do it myself. At the same time, don't want to be taken for a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a young lad locally he a blocklayer with a builder in the city. He dose Tommers on a Saturday he 250/ day. Not the fastest lad but it seems he works out around a euro a block. There is two old lads working together locally they take on small jobs one is a fairly adequate carpenter the other lad dose blocks and plastering. They would price that job at 550-600/ day for the pair of them. You have to buy and supply all the materials and probably a mixer. Again not the fastest but they be well out of it in 10 days.

Generally you do not get Cairns builders or Johnny Ronan to price jobs like this. You are not looking for a qualified blocklayer or plasterer. You are looking for a general handyman.

No you will not get the lad that's a contractor charging 2/ block over Christmas but the lad that works directly for a builder where he will earn a nice touch for after Christmas similar to the young lad above

By the way lads are on here to get a block wall.put around a 1/2 acre site it would cost 40k+.

You do not get Johnny the developer or builder to price this job.

As an aside I would consider looking at faced blocks for this job rather than getting a plasterer. I not sure the premium over ordinary blocks ( and you only need them for above ground so about 1k) they would cur out the need to plaster them you have to spend a tad longer pointing but it's an option rather than getting a plasterer for jobs like that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

No one said you need to get Cairns or Johnny Ronan....who probably never laid a block in his life.....but to be simplyfying this to a 7k job is talking soft.

Where are you going to get a blocklayer to lay 4 rows of blocks on flat down into a foundation a foot wide that you claim to be sufficient....

Also for those two handymen you mention above there is probably 11 - 12 days work @ € 600 a day plus circa € 4k in materials and plant plus a digger digging foundation and backfilling.....easy see how €12k is closer to the mark

• Advertisement

Laid a few for septic tank , a cattle grid and high part of a footpath. Not my strength. However I tended the lad doing my house on a few Saturdays and also I took three days off to do the labour for the blocks for the garage 30×20 cavity blocks.

I said they be well out of it in ten days both will lay blocks together at times. I priced it orginally for a 16'x wide foundation until some lad wanted to put the Eiffle tower on top of one of the piers

Materials

Blocks 1200 euro.

Wall caps 550 euro

Pier caps 120

Ready mix less than 600

Cement 300

Sand 250

Materials about 3k

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Not a great time of the year for plastering or laying blocks, plus frost in the sand. In the meantime i'd buy blocks, wall & pier caps, time will improve them and wait until all frosts have passed before building.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Supposedly RTE have a Prime Time investigates program on so called environmentalist building planning serial objectors taking cash for withdrawing objections. Someone must have fallen out with someone in RTE.

eNGO involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

You would also need two different types of sand. Plastering sand and building sand. Unless you want to make the brickie very angry 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I saw a clip earlier on FB. It should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Read somewhere the men involved had close links to the FG party. If true it's not great timing for the party

Could be more the Russian misinvolvement in Ireland atm. It's easy type words on the internet.

RTE article online.

The remark from Sadbh at the bottom is interesting.

An online environmentalist who Sadbh approves of. Is very vocal against farmers but represents and is paid by developers, quarry owners, county councils in their environmental agency work.

Stand corrected. Apparently one brother was a FG town candidate back in 2009.

And now enviros are saying this was a setup sting elaborate operation to shed environmentalists and ngo's in a bad light engineered by FG.

FG wouldn't plan their way out of a paper bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

This is going on for years, poor performance of civil servants allowing a gravy train to start.

That Oneill woman was on claire byrne this morning criticising farmers for exasperating climate change, she'd have everyone growing vegetables if she could and living on plant based diets.

Public (dis)service again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Watching it there now. Shocking stuff. Whatever bribes he got, I'd say he left it in Supermacs on the way home. A real slimy character.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

The man that uses only 2.7 metres of concrete to build a 45 metre long wall should be buried under the concrete, although there wouldn’t be enough to cover him!

You've dug a hole Bass and there’s point staying digging trying to get yourself out. Unless the foundations were dug with a shovel and spade they’re not going to be as narrow as 12 inches. There’s 4 rows of blocks on the flat underground so the top of the foundation is 16” minimum under ground level. There’s no way that’s being dug any less than 2 foot wide. What about the 12 piers, are they sitting on the 12” foundation as well even though they’d be minimum 16”!?

12 piers is a lot in a 45 metre run, it’s a pier every 13ish foot. I’d assume that when the op said they’re working on a substantial slope there must be a pier at every step. Most likely the foundations will be dug to match the piers so they’ll be around 2 foot wide.

But even if you want to disregard all of that and we’ll imagine we’re in the fairytale world where 2.7 cubic metres is enough, where will you find the readymix supplier that will bring you that small an amount at value? You’ll end up paying for 6 metres at a minimum as a readymix company isn’t going to entertain driving around with small loads and waiting for a lad to spread it with a butter knife as he’s trying to stretch it 45 metres down 11 different heights.

You then think a blocklayer will do that job in 2 days! So he’s going to lay 750 blocks a day in the middle of winter with 6 piers in that 750 blocks and working in a 12” trench on the side of a hill going down steps!?

But yet a few posts later you’re allowing 10 days labour at €550-€600 per day for your local handymen which is €5,500 in labour alone and you think the job with materials and all can be done for €7k, so €1,500 for all the materials!? You’re in la la land Bass.

€11-€12k is a fair price for that job in this day and age and any lad that has the time to do it for €7k including materials is not worth having because if he was any good he’d have work 24 hours a day at them rates and won’t have time to take on a small job at a wall over his few days off at Christmas.

Exactly. The poster will make an ass of himself going back telling him that it should be done for 7k.. and will end up falling out with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I was under the impression that the neighbour was saying he'd build the boundary wall at cost if cushtie put up for the materials, and then gave him top dollah price.

First off DBK there are multiple way to open those foundations one with an 18' or 12''x bucket at most and shave the side with a garden fork at the pier sites. It would take about an hour to that.

Anybody paying to put 2' foundations under a 4' wall is an idiot with the way the price of material's are gone. Its just pure laziness. The tendency to over specify widths, depths and strenght of concrete is rife in this forum similar to machinery. 50+ years ago most of the foundations of houses were what was called 8-1 mix and do you know what any that are on good ground are still standing. No amount or strenght or amount of concrete will help on poor ground without a bit of steel. Do you know most old towns build on poor wet ground are build on Sally( willow) bushes with a mixtures of stone and gravel on top. Heard of a case lately in such a situation an engineer drove piles 40' and struggled to get ground.

Next @Cushtie neighbour probably suggested building the wall first day. As well you picked the more expensive of my labour options the young lad would would have the block work and capping done for about 1250 and the expressions I used was ''WELL OUT OF IT'' I expect they have it done and dusted in 7days. F@@k the weather I do not see lads reducing there price's during the summer, it comes with the territory.

There is no need for a management or a significant profit on a job like that. Cushtie ask the cost of the job not what some Cowboy of a neighbour who thinks he is a builder expects to ride him for.

As I said THIS IS NOT A JOB THAT YOU PAY A BUILDER TO DO'' it a tommer or a handymen job and there is still some of them out there thank God.

Sorry I have no problem falling out with this Cowboy. Some lad that wants to ride his next store neighbour backwards and expect him to supply the vaseline as well

At 7k cash for such a job depending on whether he is a sole trader or in a company format that cash is worth 5.5-5.8k. I actually suspect he is not a builder as the job seems to be completely over speced which any builder worth his salt will not do but rather similar the two lads I describes and mind you they do extensions and even houses at times.

So ya I would have no problem falling out with him. If he choose to get insulted after insulting me. Actually I 'd probably tell him I'd give him a hand and the job is less than 5k and offer him 2.5k and if he did not take it I would start fillingbin the foundations. The reality is if Cushtie arrives home an evening or this lad is at it Saturday or Sunday he will tend him.

Ya and like I said at some prices here lads would be giving 35k to put a block wall around an average site and that is for cash.

There is a plant hire outfit nearby that has started to do footings and foundations up to floor level. All there general operatives/drivers are on slightly less than 20/hour and it's two of the lads that were working for him as one was a driver that do the blocks

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I notice you didn’t reply to my question about where you’d find a readymix supplier to bring such a small amount and let the lorry and driver sit there waiting for you half the day to be levelling all the individual stepped sections? Or maybe you’re planning on mixing it with a shovel and barrowing it up the hill?

You’re talking about something you seem to know very little about but think you know a lot. You’re still thinking 1970’s or 80’s style where work was scarce and you’d find good men happy to dig out foundations with a “garden fork” because they needed the money. Times have moved on, men won’t do that type of thing any more because they don’t need to, they can earn better money easier than that.

The long and short of Bass is that as much as it seems crazy money to build a wall that’s the way prices are nowadays and only a major recession will solve that problem.

If all these local heroes you have that are there willing to work for f@@k all actually exist your best move is to set up a small building company, hire these men at the prices you say they’re available for and you’d make the same amount on top for yourself without doing anything only pricing the job and ringing the men to tell them where to go and how simple it all is. With the difference between your predicted price and the prices that are actually paid in the real world you’d have over a quarter of a million for yourself in the first year if you had them all working 6 or 7 days a week. It’d be simple really.

Bring on the shovel, fork a wheelbarrow yourself and you’d be up near half a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Willing to work for f@#k all- he said e250 cash for a young bricky as a Saturday nixer. 550-600 a day for a couple of oul lads bricky n chippy.

If that's peanuts, what do you think is reasonable?

We're into Dermot Bannon prices here now, there'll be a team of archaeologists next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

A lad here locally building a massive house for the 15 years, everyone is “robbing him” with quotes so he is using the handy fellows and doing it himself. Mistakes and inflation means he is at nothing, with the fact the kids will be grown and left and it’ll still be ongoing.

Post edited by Jjameson on

The price per day isn’t the problem with Bass’s figures, them prices are reasonable prices for both sides of the deal. It’s the amount of days he thinks the job will be done in that’s the issue.

He thinks 2 days for a blocklayer and labourer will have the job done which is lunacy, as someone else said already they’d be lucky to have foundations poured and footings started in that time frame. His 10 day estimate for the lads at €550-€600 is a much more accurate prediction which then brings the job back to a €10k plus job which is what he’s been arguing against all along.

She's not working with science on her side not on nitrates anyway. It's just pure hatred of livestock farming.

Experts in France thought they were doing a great environmental service on reducing livestock numbers and pasture in the Seine catchment. Instead nitrates went up in water in the tillage move.

It's pure fanatical dogma against livestock but gets them environmentally in a worse position than before just with their pure hatred of livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Usually anti livestock and the linking to GHG in the argument is from vegan activists.

Exactly. Also there aren't that many lugs out there that would try and lay 4 rows of 9" blockwork in a 12-16" trench with steps every 10 - 12 ft

There is 12 days work in that for two men and thats having a run of fine weather... its 45m not 45 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RockOrBog

Is that wall built yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Anyone recommend a good welding mask? One that would switch itself ideally when the arc appears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Four lakes

Advertisement