Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

whelan2 wrote: »
    It's as hard or as easy as you make it yourself. Wouldn't miss kids football or running for anything. The kids will move on so these years are precious. Finished up by 5 or half 5 most evenings.

You squeeze a hell of a lot in but its all good. I know you have invested also in sheds and stuff and in my opinion that’s the way to do it have pride in your work place and make it as good as you possibly can. I also know one thing machinery might be mind boggling expensive but I would have really decent equipment if dairy farming. I think it’s an aspect that is neglected. Dairy lads and lassies are really stock focused but the day of jumpstarts and glassless tractors is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

2018na wrote: »
    You squeeze a hell of a lot in but its all good. I know you have invested also in sheds and stuff and in my opinion that’s the way to do it have pride in your work place and make it as good as you possibly can. I also know one thing machinery might be mind boggling expensive but I would have really decent equipment if dairy farming. I think it’s an aspect that is neglected. Dairy lads and lassies are really stock focused but the day of jumpstarts and glassless tractors is gone

Well jump-starts and what not will still be about, some young people don't get a successful business handed, and have to start from scratch, so there won't always be a roll Royce beginning, middle or maybe even an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Well jump-starts and what not will still be about, some young people don't get a successful business handed, and have to start from scratch, so there won't always be a roll Royce beginning, middle or maybe even an end.

Do you ever give up? Was waiting for it

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Oh I agree for sure but it’s definitely something to work towards and never stop improving. I am only going by farms in my area that I know of by the way ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've noticed that too over the last few months - feckin weird stuff going on :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see on other forums that farmers are requesting docks to be included in pasture mixes.
    Not in this country but apparently if the soil biology is correct, stock will eat them the finest.

Ye's might have a good thing going and ye mightnt even know it..

That wasn't in answer to your post.

Base price wrote: »
    I've noticed that too over the last few months - feckin weird stuff going on :mad:

I mean old tractors will have to suit some of us for a long long time, youve always said similar about your machinery, no need to be ganging up with others to dismay my post in a bullying fashion.

That wasn't in answer to your post.

Obviously :rolleyes:

I mean old tractors will have to suit some of us for a long long time, youve always said similar about your machinery, no need to be ganging up with others to dismay my post in a bullying fashion.

Hmmm there are plenty of other digs you have made. Grow up

• Advertisement

Obviously :rolleyes:

I hadn't seen your post till I unmuted you, as I seen a post from base price showing you had quoted me, if possible can we refrain from haveing interaction in future.

I hadn't seen your post till I unmuted you, as I seen a post from base price showing you had quoted me, if possible can we refrain from haveing interaction in future.

Yes if you dont answer any of my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

Base price wrote: »

Mod Snip.... We'll leave it at that thanks. We have many similarities here and many differences, but we must try and be tolerant of each other's position. I've noted the recent ( Not just today) proceedings and would suggest that common sense prevails . Be nice please , we don't want any more paperwork than's necessary! Thanks. GC

from being a good while browsing and short time poster your not going to be bothered with him or anyone else
    From the looks of things you've a great set up that's built been built up over time by thankfully good investment by yourself and previous generations more power to you if previous generations didn't invest in the farms when they had control the farms don't in my opinion don't continue as multi generational dairy farms they just get wound down and dilapidated and end up as dry stock farms or being let out
    I suppose what I am trying to say is each generation has its bit to do in building up a farm my own father invested in farming in one form or another i don't see my days as a farmer being any different
    Hope I'm making sense 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

I see on other forums that farmers are requesting docks to be included in pasture mixes.
    Not in this country but apparently if the soil biology is correct, stock will eat them the finest.

Ye's might have a good thing going and ye mightnt even know it..

I have noticed over the years that the heifers would graze them in the spring.
    One wet silage field got infested with docks that were not controlled for a couple of years,when they were sprayed off most of the field has been drier since.I think the roots managed to break up the pan.

The Rabbi wrote: »
    I have noticed over the years that the heifers would graze them in the spring.
    One wet silage field got infested with docks that were not controlled for a couple of years,when they were sprayed off most of the field has been drier since.I think the roots managed to break up the pan.
    Some people say it's an excess of a certain type of phosphorus applied that turns off stock from eating them.
    I see here with the foliar feeding the stock developed a taste for the dock. I even turned them into a place with no foliar or fertilizer that had docks and the dock was the first thing cleared by the cows.
    They had left behind their distaste for the humble plant.

Farmers apply bag fertilizer. €€€
    Cow doesn't eat dock.
    Farmer applies weedkiller. €€€
    Farmer kills fertility making microbes. €€€
    Farmer applies bag fertilizer. €€€

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not exactly a scientific study but I've land here that never gets bag fertilizer but gets plenty of FYM and slurry and has had some lime. There was a lot of dock in it but there has been a steady decline over the last number of years. Its opposite to what I've expected to happen as I would have expected the FYM to help propagate the seed, maybe the cows are just eating them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

emaherx wrote: »
    Not exactly a scientific study but I've land here that never gets bag fertilizer but gets plenty of FYM and slurry and has had some lime. There was a lot of dock in it but there has been a steady decline over the last number of years. Its opposite to what I've expected to happen as I would have expected the FYM to help propagate the seed, maybe the cows are just eating them?

Is your P and k levels going down, docks don't thrive at index 2 or below

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

wrangler wrote: »
    Is your P and k levels going down, docks don't thrive at index 2 or below

Quite possibly, I don't believe this particular field has ever been sampled. Its a small dry block close to the home farm that is trafficable most of the year so sees more than it's fair share of FYM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Our local Motor neurone disease victim died yesterday, the bravest person I ever saw with a terminal illness.
    A hard working silage contractor, diagnosed in late 16, the business is in good hands though even though the son's only about 20.
    RIP

Our local Motor neurone disease victim died yesterday, the bravest person I ever saw with a terminal illness.
    A hard working silage contractor, diagnosed in late 16, the business is in good hands though even though the son's only about 20.
    RIP

Isn't that what Colm Murray had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

RIP

An Aunt of mine has it too. She told me she is happy. She has all of her affairs in order and her husband, son and daughter are all very good to her. She was only given a max of 6 months from her diagnosis date. It is an awful disease.

Kids are making and selling these here

Just after watching a re run commentary on BBC2 on Michael Palin's travels in the Himalayas.

Bhutan seems interesting..

And now directly after he's in a program fiction about Stalin.

I wonder will he live?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just after watching a re run commentary on BBC2 on Michael Palin's travels in the Himalayas.

Bhutan seems interesting..

And now directly after he's in a program fiction about Stalin.

I wonder will he live?

The people/government there have a great philisophy were they measure the progress of the nation using a "national happiness" index rather than GDP or share prices. Probably something to do with the philosphies of the the Buddist religion which is far more incompessing of all life on the planet compared to the likes of Christianity and Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

So what did you have ?

A medium filet o fish meal. Twas grand but there’s no filling to it.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The people/government there have a great philisophy were they measure the progress of the nation using a "national happiness" index rather than GDP or share prices. Probably something to do with the philosphies of the the Buddist religion which is far more incompessing of all life on the planet compared to the likes of Christianity and Islam.

They had an authoritative ruler where you needed permission to pick a stick off the ground.
    No foreign migrants/workers. Not much investment in infrastructure with an interest in protecting the natural world.

So, this year I needed a bit of help. A few good friends helped me out. This week I've been delivering some gifts to them. Nothing major, just small tokens of appreciation. It's not payment, they can never be repaid. They never expected payment, as they know I'd help if they asked. But, it's nice to be nice, and nice is underrated. I've hugely enjoyed the reactions, as they hadn't expected anything. Giving is thanks in itself.

They had an authoritative ruler where you needed permission to pick a stick off the ground.
    No foreign migrants/workers. Not much investment in infrastructure with an interest in protecting the natural world.

If you look at the current(2020) world freedom index, Bhutan as a consitutional monarcy scores substantially highter than the likes of China,Egypt etc. All countries I might add that the west(including Ireland) are quiet happy to do business with.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    If you look at the current(2020) world freedom index, Bhutan as a consitutional monarcy scores substantially highter than the likes of China,Egypt etc. All countries I might add that the west(including Ireland) are quiet happy to do business with.

It wouldn't be a country you could live in.
    Especially a foreigner or a Nepalese foreigner.
    They basically became a sham democracy to stop the yanks invading.

It's a country that'll have big changes to assimilate with the rest of western values. This democracy business was the start of the foreign world putting pressure on to change.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be a country you could live in.
    Especially a foreigner or a Nepalese foreigner.
    They basically became a sham democracy to stop the yanks invading.

It's a country that'll have big changes to assimilate with the rest of western values. This democracy business was the start of the foreign world putting pressure on to change.

They don't claim to be a "democracy" ie. they are a constituational monarchy.

Advertisement